Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tip My Wedding Company?

I'm getting married in Savannah, and I used a "wedding company" to do my wedding.  I have worked closely with one woman there, who wrote out the contract for my wedding and is organizing getting chairs and everything for the cereomony (not the reception).  The contract includes photographer, flowers, and cake, which she organizes through the company's preferred vendors.  I have never met with the florist, photographer, etc in person, and will meet them for the first time on my wedding day.  I basically send the wedding company pictures of cakes and flowers that I want, and she relays the info to the vendors. What are the rules for tipping in an instance like this? The bill for my ceremony, including flowers, cake, and the service charge for the company comes to about $7,000.  Who should I tip, and how much?  I need help and don't mind being candid. :)

Thanks!
Becky

Re: Tip My Wedding Company?

• Options
    OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    Does the woman you are working with own the company herself?  Usually if someone owns their own business it is not necessary to tip them.  They will build their own tip into the costs.  Otherwise, you should tip her what you feel comfortable tipping. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tip-my-wedding-company-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9f72435c-2772-4331-92eb-b56ecc3db889Post:14c8d71f-dccb-4ecc-b82a-64ea5d013a09">Re: Tip My Wedding Company?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does the woman you are working with own the company herself?  Usually if someone owns their own business it is not necessary to tip them.  <strong>They will build their own tip into the costs.</strong>  Otherwise, you should tip her what you feel comfortable tipping. 
    Posted by OliveOilsMom[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree.  I am a small business owner - if I "buiit a tip into my fee" I would be out of business. 
    Andplusalso, every now and then I make <em>less</em> than my employees because I have to be so competitive price-wise.
    OP: If the woman did a fantastic job, tip her what you feel comfortable tipping, regardless of ownership status.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I only agree with the don't-tip-if-they-own-the-business thing if they're the ONLY employee...like my photographer who works for himself (who I will still tip once I see the pics and know he did a great job) but just because my DJ happens to be the owner and has a couple other guys he has hired doesn't mean I won't tip him just because he owns the business.  I think it's different when you have employees vs. owning the company and being the ONLY employee.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards