Wedding Etiquette Forum

elopement..but "luau" party when we return

I need HELP!!!
First of all, we are eloping to Hawaii in Sept and honeymooning.  We are planning on having a "luau"/party/reception a month after we get back. 
CanI send "Save the date cards" for the party?
When do I send invitations for it?
When do I send announcements of our marriage? What do I say?

THANKS for any and all help!
Chrissy

Re: elopement..but "luau" party when we return

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_elopementbut-luau-party-when-we-return?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a2d92369-b32c-4a88-86a6-49070fd1c1c0Post:bdc9043c-2eda-4b66-87ee-d935f8f66389">Re:elopement..but quot;luauquot; party when we return</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, don't send save the dates for a post wedding party. Send invites 6 weeks before the party. Send announcements as soon as possible after the wedding. Mailing them the day of is ideal, but if that isn't possible, as soon as you get back should be fine.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This.

I will never understand elopements with AHR's. Why can't you just have the wedding with your family at home and honeymoon in Hawaii? You can always have a private moment with your Husband and write a nice note for each other, it would still be an intimate private moment between the two of you.

Anyway, I think the idea wasn't up for discussion so just follow Stage's advice.
  • I agree with PPs. No save the dates, as that sounds very wedding-y and you are not inviting any of these people to your wedding.  AHR seem very gift grabby so the more you can do to express you just want to celebrate with them the better.
    My reaction to most everything on the internet today:
  • Planning to get married 6 mos out hardly seems like 'eloping' to me. It sounds like you want a private, personal ceremony, and you're going to get that in Hawaii. ...and to answer your question, my answer mirrors the PP's, no reception - just a party to celebrate, if you really must. Send your announcements out after you get back.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards