North Carolina
Options

NWR: how lazy am I? Poll (sort-of)

So a few house questions... I'm here thinking I'm both lazy and cheap, and is it for the worse... Do you: launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? dry clean comforters? dry clean drapes? how often? So I have a husband (ie. boy) ,a cat (ie. invasive white hairs everywhere), one day will have a dog (ie. invasive brown hairs everywhere), and one day children (ie. invasive boogers stuck on everything) and so I want to be clean enough, not psycho clean, but not lazy, cheap dirty either. So I have drapes that I can see cat hair all over (but you do have to get up on them and inspect to see such...), just noticed bed quilt and duvet cover have some ding at the top... stuff like that, do you guys pay to have these expensive item laundered every so often, or even at least when you move?
imageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NWR: how lazy am I? Poll (sort-of)

• Options
    jlindsey923jlindsey923 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you: launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? Yes, most packages recommend because of color bleeds & thread tears. dry clean comforters? Even though It costs a lot in water to wash our comforters that aren't down. But we do do it. The one that are down, we dry clean dry clean drapes? depends on the material how often? Typically once a month
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG you dry clean your ish every month!?!?!? You are good. I am gross.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    smlinebesmlinebe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm...I may regret posting this to the public but... I launder new sheets but not new towels I just vacuum my curtains :) and wash my own comforter maybe once a year? lol I'm lazy and gross too according to PP's standards :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a nurse.. you learn what nasty stuff lurks around in Nursing School.....
  • Options
    allisonuncallisonunc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also gross. Being a poor student does not lend itself to dry cleaning. I wash my comforter maybe every 6 months. And I have a cat. Eek. BUT I have always had cheap stuff and am telling myself when we get nice things after the wedding I will be better about it! We'll see!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? Yesdry clean comforters? all but one. it's actually a queen and can fit in the washing machine.dry clean drapes? i don't have drapes. we have duette fabric shades that i vacuum.how often? for comforters whenever we run out of clean ones. We have about 3 we rotate. The blinds 1-2 times a month. The Dyson makes cleaning a lot easier!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? yes, both. It's probably more about how they feel than the cleanliness factor. I believe it makes them softer. dry clean comforters? No - I have been known to put my comforter in the dryer to try to fluff it, and I have also vacuumed it, but it's never been laundered. I "refresh" it about every 6-8 months.dry clean drapes? I don't have drapes, I have sheer fabric accents. I usually just fan them to send the dust flying so I can vacuum it up. I only do that when I visibly see the dust. I must be nasty too!
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wash new sheets and towels (especially towels, freshman year I didn't know you were supposed to do this...I stepped out of the shower full of brightly colored lint!)I dry cleaned my down comforter once (I used it for about 2 years) I had a duvet cover over I washed whenever I felt like it needed it. I decided I will try dryel next time; I got a great deal on that comforter during a clearance sale and I spent more dry cleaning it than I paid for it! My comforter I have now can be washed in the washing machine.I have never dry cleaned drapes, I have never used the same ones for more than a year though.I wash sheets at least every other week, I wash the comforter less often since I don't sleep directly under it. I would say 3-4 times a year maybe.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I may be bias lol. one of my FI's best friend is the GM of White Star dry cleaner.. so we get everything Dry Cleaned, Pressed and Folded for free
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I could get free dry cleaning I would definitely do it!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't blame you. I love fresh dry cleaned comforters.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you: launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? Absolutely - for cleanliness and softnessdry clean comforters? for the simplicity i don't buy comforters that need dry cleaning.  we have a quilt and a heavy blanket in the winterdry clean drapes?  no drapes wood blindshow often? n/a
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you: launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? [b]Yes, because I don't like that freshly dyed smell & it makes them softer[/b]dry clean comforters? Nope, way too expensive. My duvet cover goes into the washing machine probably twice a year, or if Cambria jumps up with something wet & nasty in her beard (that's my dog by the way....)dry clean drapes? We only have one set of curtains (I certainly wouldn't call them drapes) & I've never cleaned themhow often?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you: launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? Yes, like pp said, that way the color doesn't bleeddry clean comforters? Nope, mine go in the washing machineBdry clean drapes? We don't have drapes, we have 1 set of curtains that we've had about 2 years and never washedhow often?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WOW i think i win for being dirty!Do you: launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? NO. We got new sheets for the wedding and I was so excited that i just wanted to put them on the bed, aren't they already clean!?!? but i do wash them every 2 weeks dry clean comforters? No, i put them in the washer. dry clean drapes? Ok I have never even heard of cleaning drapes. haha they get dirty!?!?! how often? N/A
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i just want to say, I'm actually a really clean person. My kitchen always has to be spot less and a dirty bathroom is just gross to me. haha ok i feel better saying that!
  • Options
    whitcalgalwhitcalgal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, No and No.  I'm with Pinky..I am a very clean person...but I don't see the point in doing all that.  Call me lazy but if you can't see it, I don't care.  I used to wash my duvet all the time, but since I got just a comforter..I'm not really sure what to do with it.  And take it to a dry cleaner requires waaaaaaay too much work for this lazy girl.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Pinky on all questions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? Yep. Not necessarily for cleanliness, but to get rid of loose strings & lint & to fluff & soften them.dry clean comforters? We take ours to a local laundrymat twice a year & wash them in one of the HUGE industrial washers. dry clean drapes? Nope, but I vacuum them once a month & occasionally steam them w/ my portable steamer.We have 3 cats (2 are long haired) & a Sheltie (long hair). Thanks to them, DH & I use a hand vac on the couches & comforter, & a cordless stick vac around the edges of all the rooms, daily :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    launder new sheets/ towels between purchase and first use? - I'll wash both sheets or towels the first time, sure.dry clean comforters? - I've learned that I can get the job done in the washer/dryer at home....gentle cycle.dry clean drapes? - I haven't done it yet (we don't have drapes right now), but when I had them, I didn't. I did have to dehair them when I took them down because of my cat.how often? We wash comforters quarterly.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards