North Carolina
Options

I'm back!-moving SUCKED!

See C25K blog for details...I don't want to type out all the horrific things that happened this weekend. But one thing I will mention here that I didn't on the blog is that a friend OFFERED to help us move and we spent a crap load of money on her last weekend (dinners, drinks, etc.) and I texted her at midnight the night before the move to make sure she was at our place at 9am...she texts me back that she "meant" to call me and that she decided she wasn't going to help us....turns out, our friend she was staying with was going into work later that day and she wanted to "spend some time with her". WTF. Completely out of character for her...but I am still having a hard time wanting to talk to her. and yes, she was one of my bridesmaids. =/
My Blog - My Bio - NC Bride Bio - Pro Video

Photo by Evoke Photography
image imageimageimageimageimage

Re: I'm back!-moving SUCKED!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was wondering where you've been. I thought you may have started your job. Glad your all moved in, moving just sucks overall!
  • Options
    ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh no! sorry your friend backed out on you. i know moving is such a pain. FI and i just finished moving today. glad you're all finished. now to unpack!
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about all your moving trouble/drama and about your friend (since I think I know who you're talking about).  We had some people bail on us too, but then we had some others that really pulled through.  It was a hellish 3 days, and we were moving with a pickup truck instead of a moving truck...so be thankful for that! :o)  Sounds like you had it worse with the electricity stuff though...glad that's straightened out!!  Hope the friend stuff gets straightened out for you too.
    Photo Credit: Luster Studios
    Items for Sale!
  • Options
    jlindsey923jlindsey923 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ekk i read your blog & i'm sorry it sucked so bad =\ I had moving.
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like we kind of had a similar weekend :-/ I hate moving and we only have the moving OUT part finished...we still have to move everything IN from storage next week.I'm sorry things didn't go so smoothly. Hopefully unpacking is much better for you.
  • Options
    smlinebesmlinebe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry for all the drama!  I hate moving as well but we didn't have near the hellish time you did!
  • Options
    allisonuncallisonunc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, that totally sucks. Moving is always awful, but you definitely have a worse than average time! Glad it's over with and hopefully you can just enjoy your new place now!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry, that sucks! Moving sucks enough without friends being lame in the process
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh I'm so sorry. I feel your pain, and very shortly I will literally be feeling your pain. I'm so nervous about this move. I live up 3/4 flights of stairs and have a house full of stuff. And then a 14 hour drive. I don't know how to pack all this random and breakable stuff. How does it not all break and the furniture get scratched? Last time I moved with a fraction of this, the bed got dinged, the desk broke broke, and the dresser was scratched and that was with many helpers. Now it will be Russ and I and his two younger brothers (18, 20). Don't know if that is enough for this stuff... But I've heard as your blog suggests that movers often are not worth the money. What are your thoughts based on your new experience with moving breakables, and heavy nice furniture and helpers?
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh that sucks I hate it when friends do that. But now you get to do my favorite part unpack and set up you new house GL :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kristy, I moved in March and then again earlier this month (TWICE in six months, BLEHHH), and I made a lot of mistakes in March that I learned from, so July was much better in terms of everything making it without damage. Make bubble wrap and newspaper your friend. LOTS of it. Also, if you rent a u-haul or truck, make sure to rent tons of furniture pads with it. Wrap your furniture with the pads to prevent scratches and dings. Make sure to get some rope to tie the furniture to the walls of the truck so it doesnt flop around.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i hate moving too, we just moved three weeks ago and still havent gotten everything unpacked and situated.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    katherine, did you for real wrap all the way around all of your furniture with bubble wrap? and i wonder how many blankets...? it's like i want to have enough because i don't want to be so cheap as to damage expensive stuff, but i don't want to spend money on bubble wrap and blankets unnecessarily.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome back!! Sorry the moving didn't go well, but maybe the whole opposite effect will happen and living there will be bliss! In my experience, the worse the move, the better the living situation!!
  • Options
    birdcagebridebirdcagebride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kristy...don't wrap the furniture in bubble wrap!! lol...the blankets and tying them securely should do the trick. Use bubble wrap and newspaper for packing your breakables in boxes. Big Tip: Heavy items in smaller boxes and for those large boxes, pack LIGHT stuff!! My DH didn't get this concept. =/ If you were to get movers...it may be worth it with a HOUSE full of stuff (which is pretty much what we have crammed into a two bedroom apartment with a nice storage unit outside our front door.). Just make sure you PACK yourself and find a reputable company with good customer feedback. The guys we used were referred to us by one of alan's coworkers and alan only really used them because we had a freakin coupon...big mistake!!!
    My Blog - My Bio - NC Bride Bio - Pro Video

Photo by Evoke Photography
    image imageimageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards