At the behest of my wife

2»

Re: At the behest of my wife

• That second life crap is weird. 
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_behest-of-wife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a48b6c04-707a-4645-9686-8e9cc59c923aPost:6e08bba0-d935-4b35-850b-b5899344a924">Re: At the behest of my wife</a>:
    [QUOTE]How has he been able to post so many times in one day.  Isn't there a limit/waiting period for new people?
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]

Not anymore.  That went away with the changeover.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_behest-of-wife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a48b6c04-707a-4645-9686-8e9cc59c923aPost:f4c4fd04-a2e8-426e-b012-af69d4f92639">Re: At the behest of my wife</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: At the behest of my wife : I have a friend who's studying that actually. Second life is so unreal. I've never played but he's been in since it started I think.
    Posted by brosonhubman[/QUOTE]

You should definitely check it out. It is completely crazy. It has a lot of potential as a teaching and learning tool, but it's also insane on an identity level. There are a lot of race and gender things going on there that are both interesting and disturbing. But there's a lot to say about how people construct their avatars in relation to their real identity. Mine looks pretty much just like me in RL (she even has glasses) but I change her hair color all the time.

I've been using it to run an art history workshop that draws a small international audience. There are definitely some interesting group dynamics.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_behest-of-wife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a48b6c04-707a-4645-9686-8e9cc59c923aPost:1ab1172a-582a-4597-a395-d2fa061ec9a1">Re: At the behest of my wife</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't find the knot to be very valid research. Some of those KPS are fake.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yeah but that in and of itself is interesting. The fact that someone posts fake secrets to drive a wedge or create drama in a group is something you could get a lot of mileage out of.</div><div>
    </div><div>But I'm NOT actually studying any of you. I came to get ideas and just check it out but Evie convinced me I wasn't being upfront and that was wrong. I guess I was thinking about possibly having a subsection in the book about online forums, but I wouldn't be able to use the knot as an example.</div>
  • I was looking at the sig pic, then I noticed the avatar, and I was like "wait a minute, not those."
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Nebb, I'm with you on this one. Fo' sho'
  • Sarah - the gender thing is what made me even post today. And ricksang pointed out (which I will respect) that she doesn't like the idea of guys posting here, but there's probably at least one dude on here who poses as a woman. I'd be surprised if there wasn't.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_behest-of-wife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a48b6c04-707a-4645-9686-8e9cc59c923aPost:a1ac2ab8-554c-44be-bfb9-90eaa85c5ca1">Re: At the behest of my wife</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I've been thinking for a while that we might be a good subject for sociologists/anthropologists. Have you gotten involved in looking at Second Life at all? Now there's some fucking identity insanity. My dad is a woman on there, and he's convinced my mom to court him with a male avatar. And I'm two beers in and listening to Bob Dylan, so I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep up with any kind of smarts.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

<div>This is an interesting and self-selecting group of people around these parts.</div><div>
    </div><div>And to the KPS poster the other day who said we were all insane - you need to get out more, because your life must be really, really boring if you think this is crazy.</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_behest-of-wife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a48b6c04-707a-4645-9686-8e9cc59c923aPost:6b4427f3-b91d-4014-bf75-903cb07ece75">Re: At the behest of my wife</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: At the behest of my wife : I agree. I just find it funny (and hypocritical) when the people who think online dating is weird are the same ones who think it's better (or more normative) to meet a rando at the bar and take them home. I feel like both can be seen as equally impersonal and unsafe, you know?
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

<div>Hell, I'd rather meet someone on match.com than at a bar. At least I know the person on a dating website is serious about dating someone (or else, I can assume they are based on the fact that they set up a profile and pay for membership). It's so much more likely some rando at a bar is trying to get laid, or already married, or an alcoholic, or a player, or... Maybe that's just my experience with dating guys from bars. ;-)</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_behest-of-wife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a48b6c04-707a-4645-9686-8e9cc59c923aPost:9edfbcd9-c249-4163-add5-b52ae2ed1ee2">Re: At the behest of my wife</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: At the behest of my wife : Hell, I'd rather meet someone on match.com than at a bar. At least I know the person on a dating website is serious about dating someone (or else, I can assume they are based on the fact that they set up a profile and pay for membership). It's so much more likely some rando at a bar is trying to get laid, or already married, or an alcoholic, or a player, or... Maybe that's just my experience with dating guys from bars. ;-)
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I met my BF on lavalife.com.  Online dating was way better than bar dating.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards