North Carolina
Options

My turn for Invitation wording

We were all set to order our invites today (Wedding Paper Divas sale!) and then my mom just told me she didn't like the "together with their families" wording we chose.We came up with an alternative, but I am trying to figure out if there is a grammar error. What do yall think of this:The families ofDashing bride to beandHandsome prince charmingrequest the pleasure of your company at the celebration of their union.Yesterday I loved this. This morning I think it sounds like our families are uniting instead of us. What do you think? Help please!

Re: My turn for Invitation wording

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly to me it does sort of sound like your families are uniting. I mean I know that thats not the case but it does read that way. Not really sure how to make it sound better though because I would have used Together with their families..... Hmmm maybe: The families of bride and groom request the pleasure of your company (are you not getting married in a chuch? because if you are this should be different) at the marriage of their children. Not sure if that is any better but this way it is about you and your FI not your families....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with LLG. I like the use of the word marriage waaaaay better than union.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    same here. i think the word union has been so overused for the gay union stuff that it's watered down the real marriage aspects. go for the marriage wording. it is a marriage license and not a union license after all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ...and this reminds me that I need to get moving on my invitations!!! That's okay, I'm always last minute. This is me: [img]<a href="http://tinyurl.com/nbxh3v" rel='nofollow'>http://tinyurl.com/nbxh3v</a>[/img]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know for me that my mom liked the traditional wording with them as the hosts (even though they aren't paying), but FI and I wanted both parents to host. So the wording is Mr. and Mrs. Ashley's ParentsandMr. and Mrs. Jeremy's ParentsInvite you to share in the joy of the marriage uniting their children AshleyandJeremy
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lusher - LOVE your little procrastinator superhero pic :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is this any better?I hear you guys on the union thing, but I like it. And no we are not getting married in a church.With great pleasure, the families of brideAndgroomRequest the honor of your presence as we celebrate their union.
  • Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like that!  I mean, everyone knows your family isn't marrying each other :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like it now, Jessica. And thanks Grace, I have found my new siggy picture :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jessica I like that
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah it sounds like the families are getting married, I realize people are smarter than that but why not just write it in a way that doesn't give that impression. and the wording you had before, and what I think you are trying to say here suggest two totally different things. as you likely know the "Together with their families..." suggest you two, plus your two families are all hosting/ financially backing this wedding. It if say "Mr. and Mrs. Bride's parents along with Mr. and Mrs. Groom's parents invite you to, so and such uniting Bride and Groom, etc." That then would suggest parents hosting/ paying and not you guys. And if it is you guys doing it without them then their names don't really go on here anywhere. I would just write it like it is, who is hosting? Those names or people are represented on the card as the ones inviting. I personally think wedding invitation wording is not the time to make up your own thing (but that's just me) I say go by your formality (for word preference) and the reality of who is hosting for what words and names actually appear.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kristy-You think the second one still sounds like the families are getting married?We are all paying for it, but his parents are divorced and both remarried and my parents have different names and my mom won't go by Mrs. So essentially if we put all the parents names on there it would take up an additional four lines! Yikes! We are fine letting the families take credit for hosting, but we don't want to list all those names.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jessica, no the second one does sound better for sure. That makes since with all those name deals. I do understand it's not always as simple as those books would like for our family combinations to be. And I also must admit that I often reply before reading everyone elses replies. Thus... I hadn't read the second one. Sorry...
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards