North Carolina
Options

Triangle catering....50% deposit???

Hello everyone! excited to be nearly done with planning my wedding (so i thought) ..try to make a long story short...i finally find the place i want the wedding at, it has everything- La Grand Maison and gardens; after much convincing to my future in laws they come take a look at it...they like it...i meet with the caterer -Triangle catering -who is recently become the exclusive caterer for this place. I have the proposal and contract written up and i think we are good to go. THEN....the crap starts hitting the fan. they spell my fiances last name wrong; even after we have noted the misspelling several times. they leave things out of the contract; they go back on things that we discussed at our meeting; and cake topper is that they are saying that they require a 50% deposit now when the wedding is in June! I have read that is completely unheard of!! Most places only require a 20% at the most up until 30 or so days before the wedding! has anyone else worked with them that had to do this or had this experience with caterers??? I am so surprised that we are having this diffuculty with them as i have read previous reviews stating how wonderful they were. Please help....i am a mess over this as i do not want to have to start all over again ='( ~Erika

Re: Triangle catering....50% deposit???

• Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't using them, but I think we had to put down a 25% deposit by 3 months before the wedding... then the rest 3 days before. Sucks you are having a tough time.... at least you have plenty of time to start over! Where are you looking to get married? Does your venue require you to use that caterer? Or can you bring in your own?
  • Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had to put down a 50% deposit but we didn't have the other issues you talked about so we were pretty confident about the whole situation.  The rest of the situation seems pretty bad though.  Is there any way to tell the venue people what has been going on and talk to them about using a different caterer?  They would probably prefer that to losing your business.  Just an opinion.  Sorry you are going through all of this...
  • Options
    clover1019clover1019 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, this company is now this venues exclusive caterer/event planner. I fell in love with the place before all that occurred. I am kicking myself for not getting the ball rolling sooner; i feel if had we would have been able to work out a lot more since the venue would have commited to us prior to this caterer taking over. The hardest part about this whole thing is finding the place to have it all. this is the only place that fits into everything im looking for....and i dont think there is anything im really willing to give up. now im wondering if maybe there is just a nice house somewhere out there i can rent for the weekend! Now i see why people just run off to the islands. as much of a pain this whole thing is i am still committed to having a fantastic party! ~Erika
  • Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, that is such situation to be in, I'm so sorry.  Would you be willing to pay a 50% deposit if the contract was corrected?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think you should meet with the person in charge on the venue and share the frustrations and issues you are having with the catering company.i understand the venue has chosen this company to be thier exclusive catering company but im sure they would step in if they knew how complicated they were making things on customers that have booked the venue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    the name thing is just an honest correctable mistake...get over the little things quickly or the jornney to getting married will be long and difficult. it's a business and they want to be sure you are committed to the date. as long as you are committed to the date and venue then why not pay as much as possible now. if you are having money issues now then now is the time to scale this ting back now.
  • Options
    momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have an exclusive caterer at our venue and they required a 50% deposit as well.  I asked them due to the economycould we put 25% now, 25% at 6 months and then the final payment due before the wedding.  THey weren't jazzed about it but they agreed. 
  • Options
    momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    P.S. We had to put the deposit down at our first meeting a year in advance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Every vendor has a different requirement - sometimes you just have to suck it up and pay. To be honest with you though, I'd rather have paid a little bit all along than write a bunch of checks right there at the end.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    clover1019clover1019 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Andrea- i totally agree with you. (even though a peeve of mine is typos in business situations) its my fiance that is making a stink about that. I would also like to get 50% out of the way but thats a big chunk of change =) My MOH suggested to do the 25% split up as well. I think we are going to discuss that with them as an option. I dont want to have to change places, i have searched online for places and nothing fits my criteria....really just want a nice garden...outdoor wedding and reception....to have a fun party-with a DJ and a full bar. I dont think that is too much at ask for. i think the main concern is if something happens to the company and we have paid all this money...would we get it back?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    here's a thought if you are worried about them going out of business. add a personal quartentte clause for the business owners to the agreement.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww, sorry for all the crap :(  Booking a venue is VERY stressful unfortunately. I looked up yours, though, and it looks amazing. You know what I would do, and this is what I DID do with my venue, it seems a little stalkerish but.. I did a very thorough google search AND I looked in the newspaper announcements to see if I could find anyone who had gotten married at the venue I was looking at. When I found them, I looked them up on Facebook and sent them a message, telling them where I saw their announcement or wedding website or photographer's blog, and asking if they would mind sharing any 'insider info' with me about their experience at the venue. I got nothing but positive feedback, so it pays to ask, even if it's a little weird writing those folks! I didnt care, though, it made me feel much better talking to someone who's had their wedding there. I dont blame you at all for being a little unsettled about all the typos and mistakes they were making, I mean if they cant get the little things right, who's to say they wont mess something up on the big day?? As for the deposit, keep in mind that EVERYTHING is negotiable. :)  I remember when I bought my first car. I had read a tip somewhere that said the dealership WILL try to get you to put down like a $2500 deposit, but refuse, and tell them you will put down $500. They dont want to lose the business. I would tell them what you CAN do and go from there. This is YOUR wedding and YOUR money. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh PS, the point of my car story was that my dealership did indeed try to get me to put down a huge deposit, but I told them I would not put down a penny more than $250, and they were more than happy to take that. lol.
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That stinks. Triangle Catering is one of the caterers I'm looking into if we do the reception at the NC Museum of History. I was in contact with Heidi a few months ago and she was very helpful. I had no problems at all with her. When I was ready to seriously start considering our options just a few weeks ago I found out she was no longer with them :-( I haven't gotten responses to questions as quickly now. We haven't discussed deposits or anything yet but I will post if we get to that point with them. I hope everything works out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards