Wedding Etiquette Forum

Friend only registering at places that give cash back

2»

Re: Friend only registering at places that give cash back

• Gifts are never mandatory you're right but if you get an invite and you want to come but can't (prior obligations or whatever), you SHOULD send a gift. In your situation if you're not close to the girl then I thnik that's different.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OwningAHome, please explain your logic and rationale behind your "should send a gift" statement because I really don't see how a normal person could ever think that they SHOULD send a gift if they receive an invitation and cant go. If that were proper etiquette, I think people would send out a lot more invitations to things since, as you seem to think, an invite demands a gift regardless of attendance. Your advice is way off, and I'm surprised that someone who's been around for a little while like you hasn't figured this one out yet.
  • For those who said she will only get a store credit - 

We returned a few gifts we had received from our registry in October 2011 at Bed Bath and Beyond. We were given the option of having store credit or they would write us a corporate check for the same value. Which is more or less like getting the cash. (We went with a store credit.)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_friend-only-registering-at-places-that-give-cash-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a63e3078-0df1-4d13-a502-0f41df88ea59Post:fef2b0fd-acb1-45ea-b403-ba445e8120ee">Re:Friend only registering at places that give cash back</a>:
    [QUOTE]OwningAHome, please explain your logic and rationale behind your "should send a gift" statement because I really don't see how a normal person could ever think that they SHOULD send a gift if they receive an invitation and cant go. If that were proper etiquette, I think people would send out a lot more invitations to things since, as you seem to think, an invite demands a gift regardless of attendance. Your advice is way off, and I'm surprised that someone who's been around for a little while like you hasn't figured this one out yet.
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on the situation and your relationship to the bride-to-be. For example, I am very close with a girl from CA who I met in college (I live in NY), I was invited to her wedding and went, but couldn't afford to fly across country for her shower and take days off work, This girl was my roommate in college for 3 years and were are extremely close. I sent her a gift in the mail. I think in that particular situation a gift was warranted and should have been sent and was.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:Friend only registering at places that give cash back:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:Friend only registering at places that give cash back:OwningAHome, please explain your logic and rationale behind your "should send a gift" statement because I really don't see how a normal person could ever think that they SHOULD send a gift if they receive an invitation and cant go. If that were proper etiquette, I think people would send out a lot more invitations to things since, as you seem to think, an invite demands a gift regardless of attendance. Your advice is way off, and I'm surprised that someone who's been around for a little while like you hasn't figured this one out yet.Posted by freebread03I think it depends on the situation and your relationship to the bridetobe. For example, I am very close with a girl from CA who I met in college I live in NY, I was invited to her wedding and went, but couldn't afford to fly across country for her shower and take days off work, This girl was my roommate in college for 3 years and were are extremely close. I sent her a gift in the mail. I think in that particular situation a gift was warranted and should have been sent and was. Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is that you chose to send a gift because she is a close friend of yours. Way to totally backtrack and act like you didn't say that "if you receive an invite, you SHOULD send a gift." You're lovely.
  • Not that they have a huge selection of items to register for, but Nordstrom's absolutely gives cash back even without a receipt.   

Previously Alaynajuliana

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_friend-only-registering-at-places-that-give-cash-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a63e3078-0df1-4d13-a502-0f41df88ea59Post:201bbb65-7599-4e46-9818-abf32c053fb0">Re:Friend only registering at places that give cash back</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Friend only registering at places that give cash back: So what you're saying is that you chose to send a gift because she is a close friend of yours. Way to totally backtrack and act like you didn't say that "if you receive an invite, you SHOULD send a gift." You're lovely.
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

I said if you want to come but can't you should send a gift. Not necessarily if you receive an invite. If you're not really friends with the person it would be fine to not send one. I also said it depends on the situation.
    And yes, I am lovely. Unforutnately, you are not. :::Shrug:::: Can't win 'em all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_friend-only-registering-at-places-that-give-cash-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a63e3078-0df1-4d13-a502-0f41df88ea59Post:dc143919-6a5e-438a-9498-377bba74b4e6">Re:Friend only registering at places that give cash back</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Friend only registering at places that give cash back : I said if you want to come but can't you should send a gift. Not necessarily if you receive an invite. If you're not really friends with the person it would be fine to not send one. I also said it depends on the situation. And yes, I am lovely. Unforutnately, you are not. :::Shrug:::: Can't win 'em all.
    Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, I disagree with you, but based on the other advice I've seen you give, this doesn't surprise me.  PS, you may want to make spell check a more regular thing.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards