Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

omg no. please say this isn't real.

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/any-advice-for-steph/

there really can't be a sizable contingent of people who advocate changing a diaper on an airplane seat, can there? REALLY?

Re: omg no. please say this isn't real.

• Options
    That just seems unsanitary.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    WTF??

After reading the article it seems this woman is not prepared to handle having children if she is this burnt out worrying BEFORE the trip. But that is just one of many conclusions I can draw from this horrific article.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It seems like people in the comments come back quickly to say, no no, don't do that.  Is there a fight about it later on?  ARE there people who say, oh no, fine, change the baby right here in the seat?

EDIT: What brought this article to your attention, daff?  It's over a year old.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

i actually just read all 22 pages of the comments. (i know - why did i do that?)

it's not so much that a moron here or there thinks this is acceptable...i am highly disturbed that there seems to be such a contigent of people saying this is ok. maybe it's the nature of the forum itself? i hope? because that is really not even a little bit ok.

no wonder i'm an aspiring shut-in. holy crap.

• Options
    I have a serious fear of flying in general, but even that makes me cringe a little
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_omg-please-say-this-isnt-real?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a8909ee2-5806-4b89-832f-47c0cd864321Post:240292f2-2c61-41f9-8657-77892c7eb56b">Re: omg no. please say this isn't real.</a>:
    [QUOTE]holy crap.
    Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]

That's for sure.
  • Options
    pink, yeah - over a year old, so pointless for me to post there, and hence my need to have an outlet somewhere.

i came across it as a blog link from a blog link from a blog link (etc. and so on)
  • Options

I was on a flight, the lady next to me had a child about 1-2 years old.  It was an early morning flight and the mom changed her diper in the seat and allowed the child to stand naked in the aisle of the plane right before take off.  it was not a fun flight.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think there are some people out there who lose all consideration for others after having children.

• Options
    Yeah, that's f'ing gross.  I'm all for being nice to parents travelling (who are actually TRYING not to be annoying) but that's asking too much.  I don't want to see or smell your child's poop, at all.  Have the flight attendant watch the other one while you change the baby.  Not that hard.
  • Options
    thank heavens for reasonable people. i mean, i know i'm the mean intolerant baby-hating ogre, but surely this...THIS...is way too much for the norm.
  • Options
    I can't even imagine how one would manage to change a baby on the floor. There is no leg room at all! I hope she didn't mean the aisle. Yikes.
  • Options
    oh my FI is a flight attendant and has dealt with this way too often. Changing your baby on the seat is disgusting. Please please never ever do it, and asking the flight attendant to move so you can change your baby on their fold down jump seat is even worse (true story).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Options

oh i don't doubt people have the audacity to do that, amyjones. these people are just foul. i hope most normal people at least realize how ridiculous this stuff is.

• Options
    That is effing disgusting.  I would throw  a fit and use dirty words in front of children if I experienced anything like that. Sick.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    honestly with some of the thing my FI experiences with his passengers I'm not shocked by much of anything any more. People check their brains with their luggage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_omg-please-say-this-isnt-real?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a8909ee2-5806-4b89-832f-47c0cd864321Post:2cf87526-edb1-4c20-b52a-468db2d4ac2e">Re: omg no. please say this isn't real.</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is effing disgusting.  I would throw  a fit and use dirty words in front of children if I experienced anything like that. Sick.
    Posted by tlv204[/QUOTE]

i would too. gah bless.
  • Options
    Though I don't know what exactly I'd do in the case of a dirty diaper with a baby and a toddler, changing their diaper on the seat is not one of them.

Maybe not travel? Skip the flight and drive?
  • Options
    Umm, I'm cool with all sorts of bodily fluids, but that's not the appropriate place to take care of them. Even if you put a big ole tarp down, what happens when the little man hoses down your neighbor.

I also LOVE the suggestions to bring some M&Ms or Hershey's kissed to be passed out as an "advance apology" to your cabin mates. Bitch, please. I cannot be bought off with cheap ass chocolate.

Dear God, I hope when I pop one out that my brain doesn't slide out with the damned placenta. Why do these people feel so entitled? I hope that the forum is just tolerant of this stuff and it doesn't represent the majority of the population.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have a plan. I might poll the bump tomorrow and see what happens. It could be enlightening.  Or terrifying. 
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    I haven't been in a plane bathroom in over a decade, but can't you somehow squish around enough room to change the kid in the bathroom?  I'm sure it wouldn't be comfy, but good grief, it's better than doing in on the seat.  That's just disgusting.  I deal with enough shiit at work, smelling it on my presumed vacation is not cool.
  • Options
    I can't even fathom this. 

The very idea of being seated next to a crying baby makes me want to jab my eyeballs out.   I can not even IMAGINE being seated next to one and having the mom change a sh*t diaper right there.   Who does that?  Seriously.  WHO DOES THAT.   What if we hit turbulence at an inopportune time and you accidentally smear your seatmates pants with crap?   How do the logistics of this even work?  Who possibly thinks this is ok?

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    I'm SURE I've changed a baby in the airline bathroom.  I think theres a pull down shelf for that!  I definitely didn't do it in a seat!  Ew!  And you can take the toddler with you for the 5 seconds it takes to use the bathroom. Wow.
  • Options
    That is wrong and gross. Especially in a small, enclosed space where there's nothing but recycled air for the next # of hours.

I agree with PP that some people lose all semblance of consideration for others once they have kids. While serving in a diner years ago, I came across not one, but two different families that changed their baby on the table in the dining room. The first one I tried to redirect to the bathroom, but once you've got the poopy diaper open, you might as well clean up as quickly as possible. The second one I missed because I was busy on the other side of the restaurant, but I know it happened because they were kind enough to leave the used diaper with the dirty plates on the table. I was not the one to clean that table.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_omg-please-say-this-isnt-real?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a8909ee2-5806-4b89-832f-47c0cd864321Post:2faaeb6c-fe35-470e-bb89-19c1df3793e0">Re: omg no. please say this isn't real.</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is wrong and gross. Especially in a small, enclosed space where there's nothing but recycled air for the next # of hours. I agree with PP that some people lose all semblance of consideration for others once they have kids. While serving in a diner years ago, I came across not one, but two different families that changed their baby on the table in the dining room. The first one I tried to redirect to the bathroom, but once you've got the poopy diaper open, you might as well clean up as quickly as possible. The second one I missed because I was busy on the other side of the restaurant, but I know it happened because <strong>they were kind enough to leave the used diaper with the dirty plates on the table.</strong> I was not the one to clean that table.
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Oh my god that is indescribably foul. Right on par with this guy I knew in college who threw up on his dining hall tray and then sent it on the conveyor belt back into the kitchen.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Oh hell no. That poor dishwasher in the back! Yeah, people would puke a lot in the diner (usually in the bathroom at 3am after being at the bar), but sometimes it would make it onto the table. Or worse, underneath it, which is not a nice surprise while vacuuming. Sorry, I'll stop with the gross stories now.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    I know that was awful of that guy to do. The weird thing is, though, he's the person who introduced me to all of his high school friends, including FI, so I wouldn't have met FI if it wasn't for him. I kind of think of him as my Rumplestiltskin.

I can only imagine what horrors you have witnessed working in food service. People are awful.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Cute, Rumpelstiltskin. And yes, there are more stories, but that's another thread, another day. :)

• Options
    If there's ever a "grossest stories we've ever heard" thread, I could tell some doozies from FI's work as an EMT/neuro nurse. He's pretty good at coming home with gross stories.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Oh god, I can't imagine. Thank goodness for people like him in the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards