Wedding Etiquette Forum

Update on a post below sorry if it's too soon but I figured it would warrant a new post.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_day-of-hairmakeup-this-seems-crazy

^^ original post

So, she wrote me back saying she's done hair and makeup for parties of 8 in 5 1/2 hours and that you get faster with the more experience you have. Sure, I understand that but she also told me that we need to start at 6:30am vs. my 5:30am (which I thought was ridiculous).

She also mentioned that she has someone she's been mentoring but doesn't know if she'll be available that day. I told her that I thought 6:30 was much too early to start for a 5:30pm wedding and that I wanted her to check with the person she's mentoring. She also wanted me to schedule my trial hair/makeup run soon so I can see how fast she goes.

OK so, I'm scheduling the trial to kind of get an idea but then she tells me in her response that she can't give out personal info of her clients and that we can discuss it the day of the trial. Well, I'm in sales and would never imagine telling someone "well, you need to pay me this much money and then I'll give you referrals... that is if I feel it necessary..." Which I kind of feel like she's doing...

ugh! WTH!?

Edit to clarify - I had asked to be able to contact a past client with a large party like mine and she said she can't give info.

Re: Update on a post below sorry if it's too soon but I figured it would warrant a new post.

• Does your contract with her say that you can't hire another stylist? If I were you I'd be looking to book someone else just to help speed things along. You shouldn't need to be starting hair and makeup that early. I don't think she's asking for money in exchange for referrals. To me, it sounds like she just wants to discuss it in person. I mean, you're getting a trial done anyway, im guessing, so it's not as though she's requiring payment for the referral itself. Id be looking into other stylists at this point, in addition to the one you already have. Could you maybe just hire someone to do hair only and then have this girl do makeup only, or vice versa?
  • If she won't give you the client's info, which I agree she shouldn't, then ask her to get a signed referral from that client that the stylist can then give to you. Or have her see if the girl can call the salon while you're at your trial. (I'm in sales too and we NEVER give client information to other clients).

• I re-read your OP.  I don't think you need 3 hours for photos.  We did all our photos before the ceremony and had everything done in less than 2 hours, plus we went to two different locations for photos.  Granted, we had a relatively small wedding party (8 people total, including us, and then just my parents and his parents), but I think that 3 hours PLUS an extra half hour buffer is not necessary.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Honestly, I think you should start calling around. 6:30 start time for a 5:30 wedding! I really dont think one stylist is enough here. I'm having 8 BM get hair done, my hair and makeup, and my mom's makeup done. I'm having 3 stylists come and they said they that 10am to 2pm should work to get everyone done just fine. I would NOT want to get up that early for my own wedding. My ceremony is at 6:30 and I plan on trying to sleep until around 8am. 

I'd figure on 45 minutes for BM hair and about 30 minutes for makeup. Longer for yours. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards