Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Book Recs

Hey everyone, anyone have any good books to recommend that you've read lately? Doesn't matter the genre, I just need some new reading material.  Preferably something that doesn't take TOO long to get going, I hate slow books.  :)

Re: Book Recs

• Options
    In Cold Blood is one of my favorite books. The Kite Runner is also great.
  • Options
    Jen Lancaster books are wonderful. They're easy and quick reads, due to her writing style. I actually laugh out loud when I read her stuff.
  • Options
    Anna Karinina, any book by Jane Austin if you want a book written in the last couple years, let me know.  I love to read, and read just about everything, but usually my English lit major takes over and I read classics.  I think they tend to be better written and have better plots. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    I just finished "The Year of Living Biblically" by AJ Jacobs and loved it. Really entertaining and a quick read too.
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks everyone!
  • Options
    If you haven't read his stuff already, Augusten Burroughs' books are pretty easy to get into (especially the compilations of anecdotes, a la David Sedaris, who is also fantastic). Running With Scissors is great, and hilarious too.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  It's short, to the point, meaningful, and a super quick read.  I loved it.
  • Options
    World War Z by Max Brooks.  It's a "true history" of the zombie wars and one of my favorite books.  Avoid the audiobook version though - it's abridged and some of my favorite parts are missing.
  • Options
    I tend to like the "girly" stuff more...one of my faves is Emily Giffin if you're into that kind of stuff.  Her books are easy-reads and awesome.
  • Options
    the Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanchovich (sp??) are not a serious read but are fun and quick.  

The Da Vinci Code, Count of Monte Cristo,  I have heard interesting this about "The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo". 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    Some of my favorites:

The Post Birthday World by Lionel Shriver
    Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld
    The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst
    The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    I love to read...

In the Woods by Tana French
    Beautiful Boy by David Sheff
    Complications by Atul Gawande

Anything by Bill Bryson, but most especially "A Walk in the Woods" or "In a Sunburned Country"

• Options
    I'm late, but I wanted to second Beatles on Augusten Burroughs. I've loved everything of his that I've read. I know you specifically asked for non slow reading books, but I have to rec my favorite book of all time. It's A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving. It took me an an entire summer to read that book, but it's so worth it at the end. I swear to God that book changed my life.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls-----Really Good!

I also just read "mistaken Identity". It is written by the families of  the two college girls that were in an accident and one girl died, the other lived. They had them mixed up. So emotional and its interesting to hear the whole thing from the families perspective.
  • Options
    I just finished "Commencement" by J. Courtney Sullivan.  It's about 4 friends that meet as roommates at Smith and how their friendship changes after college.  I liked it because it's about women, friendships/families and love, but it's much more realistic that the typical chick-lit a la the Shopaholic series.
  • Options
    I loved Water for Elephants--once I started reading, I couldn't stop.  In a different genre, there's a series of books about spies along the lines of the Scarlet Pimpernel (the first is The Secret History of the Pink Carnation), they're certainly not classics, but definitely fun reads.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Blue Smoke - Nora Roberts
    Mercy - Jodi Picoult
    Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult
    Salem Falls - Jodi Picoult
    A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
    Step on a Crack - James Patterson
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I just finished "Rules of Deception" by Christopher Riech
    and I'm reading Valerie Bertinelli's book "Losing It" I dont usually do biographies but I'm enjoying this one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    -Chaim Potok books
    -Gone With the Wind...I know it's long but it's very good and moves along. 
    -My Life in France
    -Jane Austen books
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards