Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tipping Vendors

Hi,

I am new to this page, and am really sorry if this is like a repeat post. I was wondering what the ettiquette is in regards to tipping vendors. I believe all of my vendors are owners of their businesses and will be on site the day of. I had read somewhere that you don't need to tip vendors if they are the owner of the company, however, I feel like since they are providing a service (DJ, photobooth, photog) then they should be compensated for their efforts.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Re: Tipping Vendors

• Options
    Tiping is totally discretionary. I guess some people think that business owners don't need to be tipped because they set their own prices and compensation, but knowing some business owners, they set their prices to be competitive rather than to pull in a large profit.

Pretend that none of your vendors own their businesses, but are employees. If they do a poor job would you tip them? Prob not. If they are excellent would you tip them? Most certainly. Tips are gratuity to show gratitude for a service well done.

Base who and how much you tip on your experience with the vendor, not the logistics of their organizational structure.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2012
    Tipping is completely voluntary no matter if it is the owner of a business or an employee of the business.

I think you should take PP advice.  Tip according to how you think the service they provided went.  If they sucked, don't tip.  If they rocked it, tip away.  If the service was only so-so, then provide a little something if you want but don't feel that it is necessary to do so.

• Options
    Thank you! I have budgetted to tip them based on if they did an awesome job, which I feel like they will. Your insights have been totally helpful.

Thanks
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tipping-vendors-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa97bbb6-e2c7-46e5-8b1a-2f507fcb3c08Post:b3c208d8-9d55-4d2c-af77-6639dfe6e022">Re: Tipping Vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do not think that tipping vendors who own their business should be the same as tipping employees. 
    Posted by NYUgirl100[/QUOTE]

Would you tip a hairdresser differently if she was a freelancer than if she worked for a salon? Ditto make up artist, pianist at ceremony, florist, baker, seamstress, photo-booth tech, DJ?

Tipping should always be discretionary and based on the quality and price of service with the exception of servers/waitstaff being given a 15-18% gratuity standard if <em>not</em> included in contract.
  • Options
    s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tipping-vendors-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa97bbb6-e2c7-46e5-8b1a-2f507fcb3c08Post:7b07b33e-a513-4803-a9c4-16bdda69d704">Re: Tipping Vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Syd, by definition, someone who owns their business sets their own price.

Yes NYU that is 100% correct. I'm not refuting that fact but, if you read my previous post, I already said that (in the very beginning of my post I might add) and I also said many freelancers, especially those who are trying to grow their clientele,  set their price to be competitive (and receive "fair" compensation opposed to "great compensaton) rather than to make loads of cash. Did you hear the story of a person who started freelancing and was idependently wealthy in 12 months? That's because that rarely happens. Certain things are consistent in price (makeup, products, bakery ingredients, flowers) so the only place they can reduce their price is through their compensation.

The reputation of a well established brick-and-mortar business is hard to compete with, so they do it with pricing. It's easier to use the large 3-generation bakery down the street or the trendy salon downtown has those awesome commercials, so small freelancers need to have a competitive edge and do that with 1)flexibility and 2) price. They are able to negotiate more and sometimes take a pay cut in order to book a client.

With that said, if the vendor does a wonderful job, tip them if you feel it is appropriate. If they do a crappy job, then don't tip them.
  • Options

How would you feel if you were not tipped?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tipping-vendors-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa97bbb6-e2c7-46e5-8b1a-2f507fcb3c08Post:5e36fc1c-85b0-4a37-bdf0-037c2e4d8deb">Re: Tipping Vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Owning a home -- what if the vendor has set the price to reflect a fair price?  Why should a bride <strong>pay excessively</strong>?  Just becuase it is her "special" day? 
    Posted by NYUgirl100[/QUOTE

If the vendor set the price to reflect a fair price, why should that deter the OP from tipping if she deems necessary? I was certainly not suggesting that she tip an absurd amount, and she should not have to pay in excess- assuming the bride did her homework and found a fair deal. I stated that if she feels as though a vendor did a great job, she should tip based a mix of her experience, the cost of the service, and local average percentages.

It is her day, and if the vendors perform above expectations and made that day "special" the couple should tip based on the criteria I already mentioned. A workers wages (regardless of whether or not the worker is the owner or employee) should have no bearing on the amount of the tip.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tipping-vendors-21?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa97bbb6-e2c7-46e5-8b1a-2f507fcb3c08Post:5e36fc1c-85b0-4a37-bdf0-037c2e4d8deb">Re: Tipping Vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Owning a home -- what if the vendor has set the price to reflect a fair price?  Why should a bride pay excessively?  Just becuase it is her "special" day? 

She shouldn't pay excessively but if the job was done well, they deserve a tip. They still deserve a tip, albeit smaller, if the job was only ok.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards