Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?

My cousin got married last year and my brother gave her $350 as a gift from him and his fiance. A month later, my bro got married and she only gave him $50 from both her and her new husband! Then, a few weeks later she called and said she was going on a trip to Europe. My side of the family thought that this was incredibly insulting. She could afford a trip to Europe but not a decent gift? Esp after what he gave her? Question is, do I invite her to my wedding? I feel like she was totally disrespectful to my bro but I don't want to stir up trouble. 

Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?

• Options
    This is a joke right?  Your family is being ridiculous.  Its her money and she can spend it however she likes.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-jipped-brother-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abf1cba2-e19e-42d6-984a-21064300f911Post:ec24ced8-e340-4886-99ca-bb001f47d372">Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cousin got married last year and my brother gave her $350 as a gift from him and his fiance. A month later, my bro got married and she only gave him $50 from both her and her new husband! Then, a few weeks later she called and said she was going on a trip to Europe. My side of the family thought that this was incredibly insulting. She could afford a trip to Europe but not a decent gift? Esp after what he gave her? Question is, do I invite her to my wedding? I feel like she was totally disrespectful to my bro but I don't want to stir up trouble. 
    Posted by Isabellaxoxo[/QUOTE]

JIC.

Oh, and, you cannot be real. That is all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Um, you can invite or not whoever you want.  But are you serious?  You are not going to invite her because you don't think she gave your brother a big enough gift?  She didn't have to give him anything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    Okay, which east coast reg is snowed in and bored?

hehehe
  • Options
    Yeah not real.  Just created this account today - probably after reading all the NY wedding crap below.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LOL @ the title. OMFG.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-jipped-brother-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abf1cba2-e19e-42d6-984a-21064300f911Post:ec24ced8-e340-4886-99ca-bb001f47d372">Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cousin got married last year and my brother gave her $350 as a gift from him and his fiance. A month later, my bro got married and she only gave him $50 from both her and her new husband! Then, a few weeks later she called and said she was going on a trip to Europe. My side of the family thought that this was incredibly insulting. She could afford a trip to Europe but not a decent gift? Esp after what he gave her? Question is, do I invite her to my wedding? I feel like she was totally disrespectful to my bro but I don't want to stir up trouble. 
    It's not a tit for tat thing. How she chooses to spend her money is up to her. It seems crummy but its not the end of the world.
    I didn't get any of my friends or family Christmas gifts but then I went on a cruise for Christmas. I didn't get them gifts because I couldn't afford it. The cruise was a gift to us. You don't always know the circumstances.
  • Options
    wow...glad you relate your cousin's value to the value of her gift. This has to be one of the worst posts I've read.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-jipped-brother-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:abf1cba2-e19e-42d6-984a-21064300f911Post:ec24ced8-e340-4886-99ca-bb001f47d372">Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?</a>:

What would have been an appropriate gift?  The same $350?  No, don't invite him unless you see a bank statement first to determine what would be a "decent" gift.
  • Options

I say it's an old regular b/c of the jipped comment.

• Options
    Scooby + LisaTyler = Isabellaxoxo
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Look on the bright side at least your cousin didn't pork your brother because that would be gross, right?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-jipped-brother-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abf1cba2-e19e-42d6-984a-21064300f911Post:218a2c70-7fc8-414f-9358-5235b6456d94">Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite? : It's not a tit for tat thing. How she chooses to spend her money is up to her. It seems crummy but its not the end of the world. I didn't get any of my friends or family Christmas gifts but then I went on a cruise for Christmas. I didn't get them gifts because I couldn't afford it. The cruise was a gift to us. You don't always know the circumstances.
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

hahaha, you said tit!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Scooby? Is that you?
  • Options
    I was totally honored and appreciative from guests that thought enough of us to even give us a present.  $50 was incredible thoughtful to me, even when we had guests give us much more then that.  Also, when I went to a wedding just 2 months later for a friend that was so generous to give us $50, my gift to her was not determined by the amount she gave me.  I gave her more without any problem, and I wouldn't expect her to feel one ounce of guilt or anything because of that. 

You give what you can afford.........you give what's appropriate.  And under no circumstances are you entitled to a "give back". 
  • Options
    Yeah, I vote old timer AE also. Usually I don't go in for the AE conspiracy theories, but really? Go make a pot roast.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-jipped-brother-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abf1cba2-e19e-42d6-984a-21064300f911Post:44b21e47-9ee6-481f-bb28-cb49e61a753f">Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Look on the bright side at least your cousin didn't pork your brother because that would be gross, right?
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]

hehehehe....pork.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-jipped-brother-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abf1cba2-e19e-42d6-984a-21064300f911Post:5a3551b2-3cc7-48ff-ae0a-82d40bd0237e">Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite? : hehehehe....pork.
    Posted by RachNRich[/QUOTE]

I like your way of thinkin' kid.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Troll troll troll troll troooooooooooollllllllllllllll.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Are you nuts? Just because your brother gave $350 (which is a hell of a lot of money if you ask me, though very generous), doesn't mean she's obligated to do the same. You give gifts out of generosity and love, not because you expect something back. And no, you don't exclude her from you guest list for choosing to spend her money how she sees fit. Grow up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-jipped-brother-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abf1cba2-e19e-42d6-984a-21064300f911Post:b26ebf5c-3509-4ea5-8420-838fd46cd449">Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite? : I like your way of thinkin' kid.
    Posted by shellydiane820[/QUOTE]

You and me? We're two peas in a pod.
  • Options
    which is a hell of a lot of money if you ask me, though very generous

Seriously.  Apparently I should have invited more people from LI to my wedding. I could have bought a boat or something.
  • Options
    JIC you are real.

I am honestly shocked any one focuses on wedding gifts. How do you go into a wedding wondering what you will get in gifts? Does not compute.
    Then, when the gifts don't live up to a certain "standard" every one is confused and invested. You don't throw a wedding to measure gifts. End of story.

fwiw - just like in relationships, one can NEVER assume they know what is going on in a persons financial situation. Yeah the trip to Europe seems like an obvious, but you never ever know what actually happened there. Frankly, it is none of your business.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-jipped-brother-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abf1cba2-e19e-42d6-984a-21064300f911Post:7e1c5b9d-4ddb-40c0-8c53-449cca058ecb">Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite? : You and me? We're two peas in a pod.
    Posted by RachNRich[/QUOTE]

Amen to that!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cousin-jipped-brother-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:abf1cba2-e19e-42d6-984a-21064300f911Post:44b21e47-9ee6-481f-bb28-cb49e61a753f">Re: Cousin jipped my brother; do I invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Look on the bright side at least your cousin didn't pork your brother because that would be gross, right?
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]

LOL! Pork.
  • Options
    If I had a choice between giving $350 wedding gifts and not going to Europe, or giving out $50 wedding gifts and going to Europe, I'd definitely take the Europe trip.  But hey, way to make wedding gifts into pissing contests!
  • Options
    Hahahaha pork is such an awesome word.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I realize the pot roast incident was before my time, but is it funny enough to merit usage over and over again? 
  • Options
    Seriously? I think it's a total slap in the face to give $25 a person after you just received $350!? It wasn't only him but each couple in my immediate family gave the same. It reads to me as rude and inconsiderate. 
    P.S. I'm not from LI. I'm from the city, don't know why it comes up  that way. 

• Options
    Kate, I think this is our first gypped troll.

I might have to use the term pork on my H this weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards