North Carolina
Options

Poll: Vitamins

i admit...i am a slacker in this area...SOOOOOOOO.... Who is taking multi vitamins? What Brand?? Are they coated? Anyone doing calcium tablets or supplements outside of a multi vitamin?? (dr has recommended this to me i HATE milk and that has been since the day i was born)

Re: Poll: Vitamins

• Options
    allisonuncallisonunc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who is taking multi vitamins? I do! What Brand?? One-A-Day... whatever... standard thing Are they coated? umm, I have no idea. they are red. yes? Anyone doing calcium tablets or supplements outside of a multi vitamin?? I take an iron pill because it was low for a while... I will end up taking calcium at some point, but I like milk so I'm probably good for now :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Vitamins are a waste of money.  I eat lots of fruits and veggies instead :)
  • Options
    allisonuncallisonunc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on your situation they can be a big help. I'm on medication that supresses my immune system and I still don't get sick (knock on wood). I don't think it hurts!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you have a medical condition that lowers your ability to intake nutrients naturally occurring in food, vitamins may be a good way to counteract that.  For the average person though, studies have shown over the years vitamin supplements don't do much of anything at all.[link]<a href="http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/mar/16/vitamin-efficiency/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/mar/16/vitamin-efficiency/</a>[/link]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI & I take Flintstone Gummy Vitamins :)It's the only way that I can remember to take them, because I just pop a couple whenever I see the bottle. No water needed!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I take actually take a prenatal (Rainbow Light). We are NOT ttc, but it's one of the few multivitamins that contain enough folic acid. It also makes me feel better "just in case."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hmmmmm......link to courierpress article did not work?? dr. pretty much stays on me about the vitamins so i should be taking them especially the calcium. i usually just take a hair, skin and nail supplement but evidently that is lacking alot of things i need from the multi.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For a calcium supplement, I recommend Viactiv. They're little chews and they come in different flavors.
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep! I'm taking One-a-day womens multivitamins. They are kind of big, but easy to take after you get used to them. aka, they aren't really coated. I'm also taking Biotin for my nails and hair. I just started this a couple of weeks ago, and I can tell a HUGE difference. My hair is feeling better, but more obviously, my nails are really growing. It's pretty awesome and is a small pill to take.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I take a womens multi. If you have low calcium I recommend the vita chew ones or whatever they are called. They come in a purple box. They are chocolate and honestly don't taste that bad.Not to sound like a know it al, but you really do need vitamins if there is any chance you could accidentally get pregs. Most women don't get enough folic acid and it can cause serious birth defects if you aren't taking a multi that has it. Lecture over.
  • Options
    gizmo91909gizmo91909 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Flinstones!!!
  • Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take fish oil for skin and hair....
  • Options
    smlinebesmlinebe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do One-A-Day Womens and I do a calcium supplement (not one in particular, but it's not the chewable because I don't like the taste of those). While it is true that the nutrients you get from food are better absorbed by the body, if you don't get the variety of foods each day that you should, vitamins will help where you lack.  :) 
  • Options
    allie76allie76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking a pre-natal because we want to TTC right away. My ob-gyn also wants me to take a Vitamin D supplement so I'm doing that too.
    TTC since Sept 2009 with PCOS. 3 failed Clomid cycles; 3 failed IUI's; 1 failed injectable + TI cycle. Surprise BFP on 1/22/12 while waiting to start IVF! EDD 9/30/12.
    Missed m/c discovered 2/20/12 (8w1d). D&C 2/23/12
    Photobucket [img]http://i54.tinypic.com/zsk41e.jpg[/img]

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Everyday, I take a OneSource multi & 2 grams of fish oil in the mornings & a Viactive later in the day. I'd rather pee out a little excess vitamins & minerals that be only fairly sure I was getting everything I need.I'll say that since I started taking the multi, I only get every 1.5-2 years (vs. 1-2 x a year before that), my bone density is in the 98th percentile for my age range, & the fish oil has helped drop my cholesterol over 30 points :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I take a daily women's multi and a calcium supplement. Always with food though, I get nauseated if I don't.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A little FYI for people taking both multis & an extra calcium supplement:Space them out. The duodenum can only absorb around 500mg of calcium at a time. Taking a calcium supplement on top of a multi means you're wasting the supplement & your body isn't getting any benefit from it.The reason your doc might tell you to take more vitimin D is because the human body cannot process calcium w/out it. Taking calcium w/out having enough vitimin D would be a waste as well. Many brands of calcium supplements also contain vitimin D for this reason. Make sure you buy one of those vs. just calcium.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    laud - thanks for the info. mom's a nurse and did mention make sure the multi has vitamin D. i have never had a bone density test done and probably should. i have never liked milk so i dont drink it.....ever. i was also on depo for 14 years. my grandmother has osteoporosis (sp?). i would really hate to see the results of my test but should probably ask my dr about doing one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah, I'm sort of in the same boat. I was on depo for 14 years as well. That's why I started taking extra calcium years ago. I was prescribed the bone density scan after the black box warning label for depo came out a few years ago. Weight bearing exercise also helps build bone density.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll say that since I started taking the multi, I only get every 1.5-2 years (vs. 1-2 x a year before that), my bone density is in the 98th percentile for my age range, & the fish oil has helped drop my cholesterol over 30 points :)Laud did you mean to say you only get sick every 1.5 to 2 years? If so, that's pretty good!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Uh, yeah that's what I meant. Forgive me, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. I can't be held responsible for my typing until it does. I don't catch a cold or whatever else is going around in the fall/winter like most people around here seem to do. I did years ago, but since I started taking a multi, I catch whatever it is maybe every other year. Sometimes I'll get the sniffles, but it goes away quickly while everyone else is still stuffy & blowing their nose :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Laud, with my vitamins and eating better in general, I have hardly gotten sick in the past 2-3 years.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who is taking multi vitamins? I do What Brand?? I take the Harris Tetter brand of the one a day weight smart Are they coated? Not sure Anyone doing calcium tablets or supplements outside of a multi vitamin?? (dr has recommended this to me i HATE milk and that has been since the day i was born) I love milk so no cacium tablets for me but I take Vitaim C and fish oil pills
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who is taking multi vitamins? I do!What Brand?? I take a generic Multi +Iron (have always been a little low naturally)Are they coated? No Anyone doing calcium tablets or supplements outside of a multi vitamin??I take a calcium +Vitamin D supplement and took Vitamin B2 but stopped recently.  I'm interested in fish oil, but haven't gotten around to researching it yet.
  • Options
    gizmo91909gizmo91909 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah- I second what eating healthy and taking a multi can do for your immuniity!! I used to get sick every time the weather changed (at least 4 times a year), now i eat healthy and take a vitamin, when I remember, and I haven't been sick in over 2 years... and I know that's the reason why, because I used to eat like a pig and hardly knew what a vitamin was back in the day!!! lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    dontworry....I take those too :) It's the only kind I can actually remember to take b/c they're gummies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gizmo what kind do u take? I think Im going to get onto this vitamin bandwagon because I get lots of colds and i dont want to be sick on my wedding day!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i hope this will help me too, i am always getting a cold or something :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards