Wedding Etiquette Forum

Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding

1) Its ok to wear your origianl wedding dress that you wore for your wedding ( no matter how big or fluffy it was) you can in extreme situations find a very simaliar dress..like if your house burns down or  theres a flood, a tornado blows down your house with your dress in it.
2) your dad can walk you down the aisle
3)you can have bridesmaids
4) you can have a 1st dance symbolizing your next chapter in your life. 
5) you can have a wedding cake that has some form of writing on it ( happy 10th, 15th, 20th ect.. wedding aniv.)

Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding

• Just because you created this post does NOT make any of the above appropriate.
  • Yes you can, but people will judge you behind your back. (I promise.  Because you will think you are being an attention whore. Sorry)

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • it is all within the etiquette guidelines, so it is ok.
    since this is the etiquette board I should point out that it is not appropriate for someone to offer advice without 1st being asked for advice. And you should not let personal options interfer with what is within the etiquette guidelines..
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:ec5a4aff-b73b-4338-9993-daf72b46f96d">Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]1) Its ok to wear your origianl wedding dress that you wore for your wedding ( no matter how big or fluffy it was) you can in extreme situations find a very simaliar dress..like if your house burns down or  theres a flood, a tornado blows down your house with your dress in it. 2) your dad can walk you down the aisle 3)you can have bridesmaids 4) you can have a 1st dance symbolizing your next chapter in your life.  5) you can have a wedding cake that has some form of writing on it ( happy 10th, 15th, 20th ect.. wedding aniv.)
    Posted by overloaded[/QUOTE]

<div>So, you created ANOTHER post to tell us all the etiquette rules you are breaking at your fake wedding.  Just because YOU are choosing to slap etiquette in the face, doesn't make anything you are doing right.  And seriously, you're just making a fool out of yourself now on this board.  </div><div>
    </div><div>You are seriously acting like an entitled 18 year old bride who wants her PPD no matter what.  Since it's your 10 year anniversary, I can only assume you were 8 at your first wedding.  I can understand then why you need a new dress.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:0b5156d3-b240-4e11-9a22-cda54d729a86">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]it is all within the etiquette guidelines, so it is ok. since this is the etiquette board I should point out that it is not appropriate for someone to offer advice without 1st being asked for advice. And you should not let personal options interfer with what is within the etiquette guidelines..

<div>Please site your source of these "etiquette guidelines" you are quoting.  Let me guess, you searched on wikipedia?</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:0b5156d3-b240-4e11-9a22-cda54d729a86">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]it is all within the etiquette guidelines, so it is ok. since this is the etiquette board I should point out that it is not appropriate for someone to offer advice without 1st being asked for advice. And you should not let personal options interfer with what is within the etiquette guidelines..

Please reference your source for this. I'm not offering advice. You're offering something as fact and I'm disputing what you believe to be factual.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:0b5156d3-b240-4e11-9a22-cda54d729a86">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:

You want your pretty princess day. Fine. But a vow renewal should not be a fake wedding, it should be more of a party with loved ones (not pretending you are not married). The things you listed were about pretending that you never got married/never had the first wedding, not about celebrating with your family. Your priorities are out of order.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

• em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    Sure, do it. Look silly. No one can stop you and just because you create new rules for yourself doesn't make them right. Some parts of etiquette evolve slowly over time, while some things never change. Like redhead said, people will say awful things about you because its weird. 

Bt-dubs, if you post on a discussion board, that is asking inherently for replies! Go write a diary if you don't want people to write back. 

April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • I am just pointing out that everything I am doing is within the etqiette guidelines. I never asked anyones option about my renewing my vows. I am madly in love with  me husband and want to share that experience with him again. So if me wanting to renew my vows with my husband who I am so Frigging in love with makes me an 18 year old. Then so be it. 
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:9ba3b1ea-96ae-4dec-b9e2-0f6033475027">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am just pointing out that everything I am doing is within the etqiette guidelines. <strong>I never asked anyones option about my renewing my vows</strong>. I am madly in love with  me husband and want to share that experience with him again. So if me wanting to renew my vows with my husband who I am so Frigging in love with makes me an 18 year old. Then so be it. 

<div>But, see, you kinda did...by coming and saying this here. </div><div>
    </div><div>I have a feeling your only intention was to rile things up on this board because you knew people would bite. </div><div>
    </div><div>At least all this MUD keeps things interesting. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:9ba3b1ea-96ae-4dec-b9e2-0f6033475027">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am just pointing out that everything I am doing is within the etqiette guidelines. I never asked anyones option about my renewing my vows. I am madly in love with  me husband and want to share that experience with him again. So if me wanting to renew my vows with my husband who I am so Frigging in love with makes me an 18 year old. Then so be it. 
    You keep saying that it's within etiquette guidelines.  Where are you finding these guidelines?  Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:9ba3b1ea-96ae-4dec-b9e2-0f6033475027">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am just pointing out that everything I am doing is within the etqiette guidelines. I never asked anyones option about my renewing my vows. I am madly in love with  me husband and want to share that experience with him again. So if me wanting to renew my vows with my husband who I am so Frigging in love with makes me an 18 year old. Then so be it. 

But it is not proper etiquette to pretend you are not married. Please provide your source.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

• I am with everyone else I am trying to find the guidelines you are using but when I google your post title all I find is things telling me the opposite of what you are saying and it's everyone I find that is doing that. They are all saying not to do what you are, can you let us know the source of your post?
  • Just wishing something to be true does not make it so. Personally, I don't care if you are "so in love" and want a vow renewal...whatever. It's just weird and entitled to try to recreate a "wedding" when you are already married. All the things you describe are for a wedding. If you want people to take you seriously, site your source and have a discussion. Don't just post stuff to be argumentative.
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:ec5a4aff-b73b-4338-9993-daf72b46f96d">Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]1) Its ok to wear your origianl wedding dress that you wore for your wedding ( no matter how big or fluffy it was) you can in extreme situations find a very simaliar dress..like if your house burns down or  theres a flood, a tornado blows down your house with your dress in it. 2) your dad can walk you down the aisle 3)you can have bridesmaids 4) you can have a 1st dance symbolizing your next chapter in your life.  5) you can have a wedding cake that has some form of writing on it ( happy 10th, 15th, 20th ect.. wedding aniv.)

I assume, like some other PP, that you may be trying to rile people up because there isn't a question here.

There is nothing wrong with a vow renewal, there is nothing wrong with an anniversary party. If you treat it just ilke a wedding it is kind of weird. Walking up the aisle and bridesmaids are a bit much in my opinion. A new dress is great, I mean even a simple white dress, but a whole new fluffy new wedding dress just seems like a bit much.

You can have a beautiful ceremony and if you treat it like a vow renewal (which it is) it would be sweet. Treating it JUST like a wedding seems wrong.

EDITED It's great that you are madly in love with your husband and want to share something sweet. Really though, you can NOT re-live the past. You can't have that time back. You CAN make new memories and they can be great. So, don't try to re-create anything, create something new something that reflects who you both are now.

If you renew your vows they should reflect you and him now, not as youwere. The idea of renewing vows is fine, just consider what people are saying. Do it in a way that reflects what it is. Send out invites if you want but skip the bridesmaids, skip the father walking you up the aisle (you went down that road already)

I don't think people think your wrong for wanting to express you love, it's just finding the right way to do it.
  • I know that I am married to my husband. I am not pretending that I am not. We want to renew our vows. We wrote our vows the 1st time and want to  re read them to each other during our vow renewal ceremony. 
    There will not be that many people there, maybe around 40 to 50 people.  I will admit that I will not be wearing a a big puffy dress, but will be wearing a simple tea lenght dress that I tried on and fell in love with it today at the bridal store. I actually liked it alot better than a puffy dress. We will not be walking down the aisle and all of that stuff.

I got my info from idotaketwo.com

• blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:21c57274-d947-4649-b6a7-c368f13363e1">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that I am married to my husband. I am not pretending that I am not. We want to renew our vows. We wrote our vows the 1st time and want to  re read them to each other during our vow renewal ceremony.  There will not be that many people there, maybe around 40 to 50 people.  I will admit that I will not be wearing a a big puffy dress, but will be wearing a simple tea lenght dress that I tried on and fell in love with it today at the bridal store. I actually liked it alot better than a puffy dress. We will not be walking down the aisle and all of that stuff. I got my info from idotaketwo.com

Since you wrote the vows that is sweet, maybe add some new ones to reflect the time that has passed. It's nice that people who are married and happy want to renew that. A tea length dress sounds perfect.

I think reactions might be better had you just wrote that the first time. :)
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:21c57274-d947-4649-b6a7-c368f13363e1">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that I am married to my husband. I am not pretending that I am not. We want to renew our vows. We wrote our vows the 1st time and want to  re read them to each other during our vow renewal ceremony.  There will not be that many people there, maybe around 40 to 50 people.  I will admit that I will not be wearing a a big puffy dress, but will be wearing a simple tea lenght dress that I tried on and fell in love with it today at the bridal store. I actually liked it alot better than a puffy dress. We will not be walking down the aisle and all of that stuff. I got my info from idotaketwo.com
    That website doesn't say what you think it does...
    "While fathers typically walk the bride down the aisle during weddings, this doesn't seem appropriate for vow renewals because the couple is already married."

it basically says what we said...so again you are wrong. You are already married. Deal with it.

Edit: that website also says:

Remember, vow renewals are not second weddings, so think more along the lines of fancy cocktail dresses or evening dresses and, of course, matching the formality of the dress to your renewal ceremony location and style.

Many women will try to recreate their first wedding for a benchmark anniversary.  If this is the case, using your original attendants is fine.  <strong>But, it is better to simply invite them as guests.</strong>

You’re at a new stage in your life and love, so it stands to reason that your vow renewal or reaffirmation ceremony should be different from your wedding day

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

• em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:21c57274-d947-4649-b6a7-c368f13363e1">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    Posted by overloaded[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>OK, just so you know, the SECOND WEDDING they are talking about on that site is for people who are divorced and REMARRYING, not people who had a low key wedding ceremony first go round and now want something bigger. So, that does not apply to you. </div><div>
    </div><div>As for vow renewals, it says: <span style="color:#6b6b6b;font-family:Arial;line-height:18px;font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span"><h4 style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:4px;margin-left:0px;color:#a1b83a;font-size:14px;line-height:18px;font-family:Georgia;font-weight:normal;padding:0px;">Vow Renewals are not second weddings.</h4><p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:18px;margin-left:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;font-weight:normal;color:#666666;line-height:16px;text-decoration:none;padding:0px;" class="body11">Unless somewhere along the way to happily ever after you and your spouse divorced and are now remarrying, this is not a second wedding. This is, however, an opportunity to reaffirm your marriage vows and love of one another, or perhaps a chance to have your marriage blessed by the church.</p></span>
    </div>
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:ec5a4aff-b73b-4338-9993-daf72b46f96d">Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]1) <strong>Its ok to wear your origianl wedding dress that you wore for your wedding ( no matter how big or fluffy it was)</strong> you can in extreme situations find a very simaliar dress..like if your house burns down or  theres a flood, a tornado blows down your house with your dress in it. 2) your dad can walk you down the aisle 3)you can have bridesmaids 4) you can have a 1st dance symbolizing your next chapter in your life.  5) you can have a wedding cake that has some form of writing on it ( happy 10th, 15th, 20th ect.. wedding aniv.)

<div>Where does it say you can wear your original wedding dress? For second weddings (as in REMARRYING someone else) I found:</div><div><span style="color:#6b6b6b;font-family:Arial;line-height:18px;font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span"><h4 style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:4px;margin-left:0px;color:#a1b83a;font-size:14px;line-height:18px;font-family:Georgia;font-weight:normal;padding:0px;">Please Do</h4><div class="list2" style="padding:0px;margin:0px;"><ul style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:10px;margin-left:10px;list-style-type:none;list-style-position:initial;list-style-image:initial;padding:0px;"><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Register, even if you don’t want gifts. Others may wish to give and will need guidance.</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Include your children in the ceremony, but ask first if they want to be included.</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Personalize your wedding and reception. This is your chance to have the wedding <em style="padding:0px;margin:0px;">you</em> want.</li></ul><div style="padding:0px;margin:0px;"><h4 style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:4px;margin-left:0px;color:#a1b83a;font-size:14px;line-height:18px;font-family:Georgia;font-weight:normal;padding:0px;">Please Don't</h4><div class="list2" style="padding:0px;margin:0px;"><ul style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:10px;margin-left:10px;list-style-type:none;list-style-position:initial;list-style-image:initial;padding:0px;"><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Duplicate your first wedding</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Marry in the same location</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Wear the same dress as your first wedding</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Use rings from a former relationship</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Discuss or berate former spouses</li></ul></div><h4 style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:4px;margin-left:0px;color:#a1b83a;font-size:14px;line-height:18px;font-family:Georgia;font-weight:normal;padding:0px;">May Include</h4><div class="list2" style="padding:0px;margin:0px;"><ul style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:10px;margin-left:10px;list-style-type:none;list-style-position:initial;list-style-image:initial;padding:0px;"><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Engagement party</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Announcement in the paper</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Showers</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Rehearsal dinner, edit the toasting</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">A large formal wedding with attendants</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Mom, children, or best friend can walk the bride down the aisle</li><li style="padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:5px;margin-left:0px;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-color:initial;line-height:17px;background-position:0px 4px;background-repeat:no-repeat no-repeat;">Brides can wear white or any other color they desire. White symbolizes joy, not purity</li></ul><div><span style="line-height:17px;" class="Apple-style-span">
    </span></div></div></div></div></span></div>
  • We will have our vow renewal ceromony and our 10th wedding aniv party with all of our family and friends including children.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:55a1036e-6606-4184-90d4-bae45b23b653">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]We will have our vow renewal ceromony and our 10th wedding aniv party with all of our family and friends including children.

Fine, but what you posted was wrong. You still have yet to provide a source that supports your OP.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

• OP, I think the problem is that you've conflated "vow renewal" and "recreating your wedding" (or at least that's what the title of this post leads me to believe).  Even according to the website you cited, they are not the same thing.  
  • Honestly, I think vow renewals are sweet as long as people don't pretend they are not married. Your OP is summarizing an event where one is pretending that they never got married. Have a low-key party to celebrate your anniversary & say your vows again. That is wonderful! But don't act like you are a bride because you are not.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:21c57274-d947-4649-b6a7-c368f13363e1">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    It seems as though you are having a perfectly acceptable vow renewal.  I don't understand why you are hell bent on convincing everyone that re-do weddings are appropriate, when that not even what you're doing.

And you better keep searching, because your website doesn't support anything you're trying to say.
  • Wedding Attire: Dresses for Vow Renewals

Shop online for discounts on dresses for vow renewals, informal wedding dresses, and dresses for the guests invited to the wedding vow renewal ceremony. Unless you are thinking about recreating your original wedding by wearing your original wedding gown, (and if you can still fit into that dress, kudos to you!) the dress you select for your wedding vow renewal should not appear to be a wedding dress. Remember, vow renewals are not second weddings, so think more along the lines of fancy cocktail dresses or evening dresses and, of course, matching the formality of the dress to your renewal ceremony location and style. Formaility can be determined by length, style and fabric of the dress while the formality of the ceremony is based on time of day and location. That being said, typically vow renewals are less formal than weddings (the dresses for vow renewals are less formal than weddings too). The wedding vow renewal is an intimate ceremony so select an appropriate dress. And ladies, go ahead and choose white. It's the symbol of joy and no longer signifies virginity or purity. Happy dress shopping!

• vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:8e32b768-7579-4678-bfc2-1be574a5101a">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wedding Attire: Dresses for Vow Renewals Shop online for discounts on dresses for vow renewals, informal wedding dresses, and dresses for the guests invited to the wedding vow renewal ceremony. Unless you are thinking about recreating your original wedding by wearing your original wedding gown, (and if you can still fit into that dress, kudos to you!) the dress you select for your wedding vow renewal should not appear to be a wedding dress. Remember, vow renewals are not second weddings, so think more along the lines of fancy cocktail dresses or evening dresses and, of course, matching the formality of the dress to your renewal ceremony location and style. Formaility can be determined by length, style and fabric of the dress while the formality of the ceremony is based on time of day and location. That being said, typically vow renewals are less formal than weddings (the dresses for vow renewals are less formal than weddings too). The wedding vow renewal is an intimate ceremony so select an appropriate dress. And ladies, go ahead and choose white. It's the symbol of joy and no longer signifies virginity or purity. Happy dress shopping!
    What is your point?  The more you post, the more you seem to be agreeing with everybody.  Keep coming towards the light!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:8e32b768-7579-4678-bfc2-1be574a5101a">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wedding Attire: Dresses for Vow Renewals Shop online for discounts on dresses for vow renewals, informal wedding dresses, and dresses for the guests invited to the wedding vow renewal ceremony. Unless you are thinking about recreating your original wedding by wearing your original wedding gown, (and if you can still fit into that dress, kudos to you!) the dress you select for your wedding vow renewal should not appear to be a wedding dress.<strong> Remember, vow renewals are not second weddings, so think more along the lines of fancy cocktail dresses or evening dresses and, of course, matching the formality of the dress to your renewal ceremony location and style</strong>. Formaility can be determined by length, style and fabric of the dress while the formality of the ceremony is based on time of day and location. That being said, typically vow renewals are less formal than weddings (the dresses for vow renewals are less formal than weddings too). The wedding vow renewal is an intimate ceremony so select an appropriate dress. And ladies, go ahead and choose white. It's the symbol of joy and no longer signifies virginity or purity. Happy dress shopping!

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

• em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proper-etiquette-renewing-wedding-vows-re-creating-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aee482de-348e-4926-b17f-6dbe4914d626Post:8e32b768-7579-4678-bfc2-1be574a5101a">Re: Proper etiquette for renewing your wedding vows or re creating your wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wedding Attire: Dresses for Vow Renewals Shop online for discounts on dresses for vow renewals, informal wedding dresses, and dresses for the guests invited to the wedding vow renewal ceremony.<strong> Unless you are thinking about recreating your original wedding by wearing your original wedding gown, (and if you can still fit into that dress, kudos to you!) the dress you select for your wedding vow renewal should not appear to be a wedding dress. Remember, vow renewals are not second weddings, so think more along the lines of fancy cocktail dresses or evening dresses</strong> and, of course, matching the formality of the dress to your renewal ceremony location and style. Formaility can be determined by length, style and fabric of the dress while the formality of the ceremony is based on time of day and location. That being said, typically vow renewals are less formal than weddings (the dresses for vow renewals are less formal than weddings too). The wedding vow renewal is an intimate ceremony so select an appropriate dress. And ladies, go ahead and choose white. It's the symbol of joy and no longer signifies virginity or purity. Happy dress shopping!
    Posted by overloaded[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>The beginning part of the bolded section is not meant to be taken literally. Its basically saying that it is a bad idea. It goes on to say you should think something simpler and not "wedding" ish. But I guess I see why you were confused...</div><div>

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards