Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

No cel phones at reception

We're having our reception at FI's parent's country club.  We reserved the date and they just sent us a letter reminding us of club policies that they expect to be followed (we can't post a huge neon sign out front, no minors drinking, etc).  One of their policies is no cel phone usage at the clubhouse.  People can have their phones on silent and read texts/listen to voicemail, but are supposed to use the clubhouse phones for all conversations and keep ringers off.

My question is how, if at all, should I communicate this to our guests?  I don't want to be a bitch, but I also don't want my FIL's getting complaints from their country club because other members saw/heard guests on their cel phones in public areas (lobby, patio, etc).

What do you think the best way to handle this is?

Re: No cel phones at reception

• Options
    JessAndTravJessAndTrav member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2010
    I'm sorry. You have consistently misspelled the word cell. Please hang up and try again. If you need need help, hit the spell check button.
  • Options
    This seems incredibly strange to me.  I've never been to a secular venue that prohibits cell phone use at all in their facility.

However, I'd go with word of mouth or the website.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Typically when it specific venue rules like this, it's okay to let your guests know.  You can put it on your wedding website if you have one or even just have an Usher or wedding party member go around and discreetly ask people to be sure that their phones are on silent or vibrate due to club policies.  Make sure people know it's the club rule and not you just being a crazy bride though. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd put a note on the card with the table assignments or guest book or somewhere.

But this is really bizarre to me.  Shouldn't the club have a sign near the front door about it?  If someone is talking on their phone in violation of the policy, the club employees should come over and alert them to the policy.  That's what they do at the library.
  • Options
    I would do two things:

I would put the following message
    1.  on the bottom of the reception card that goes in with your wedding invitation
    and
    2.  on a small card that will go on every single place setting at the reception venue:

Please be aware that the Windemere Country Club does not permit the use of cell phones on the property, except for receiving voice mail or text messages.  If you will need to leave your cell phone on in case of emergency, please turn your phone to vibrate only; no audible sounds are allowed.
  • Options
    You can only do so much.  People are adults, they're going to do what they want. 

Is there going to be someone from the facility there during the event?  If yes, I say post a note about it on your wedding website, and leave it at that.  If it happens during the event, it's the facility's rules, I'm sure they know how to politely ask someone to continue their conversation elsewhere. 
  • Options
    I'd put it on the website and make a note in any program if you have it. It's fine to alert people to the policies of the venue - what's rude is if you decided you didn't want anyone on cell phones at your reception for no reason.

Something like: Due to club policies, cell phone use is not allowed in the club house. Please turn your phones to silent or vibrate. There is a phone located in the lobby for guest use. Thank you for understanding.

And ditto that the servers will probably politely ask people to take their conversation elsewhere.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cel-phones-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b02ae2aa-099f-4aa1-8a3b-85dea079f3c5Post:78fbee44-2075-4d75-86c2-58cf340568d1">Re: No cel phones at reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry. You have consistently misspelled the word cell. Please hang up and try again. If you need need help, hit the spell check button.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

Heh.

I agree that this is a weird policy. What is the penalty for breaking it? Do you get fined or do people get bounced?

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cel-phones-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b02ae2aa-099f-4aa1-8a3b-85dea079f3c5Post:917cf3fb-5b45-4f01-afad-12bffb94a1ca">Re: No cel phones at reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd put a note on the card with the table assignments or guest book or somewhere. But this is really bizarre to me.  Shouldn't the club have a sign near the front door about it?  If someone is talking on their phone in violation of the policy, the club employees should come over and alert them to the policy.  That's what they do at the library.
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice, ladies.

To clarify the situation, it's a private club and they've instituted the cell phone ban to try to maintain a certain (formal) atmosphere.  The only people allowed at the club are the country club members and their guests.  Members are supposed to be responsible for the behavior of their guests and members are all aware of the policy, so that's why they don't have a sign posted about it.

Employees probably will ask anyone who is being really annoying on their cell phone to stop.  I'm not worried about anyone getting kicked out of the reception or anything like that. However, there may be other member around the club house who are there for dinner in the informal dining room who might give FIL's dirty looks for having "unruly" guests.  Not the end of the world, but a situation I would prefer to avoid.
  • Options
    I wouldn't notify people at all. It's a ridiculous policy. And if anyone needs to know about it, they'll find out at the time.

I would hope that most guests would have the class to have their phones off during the reception anyway, but if they do have them on, so be it. If someone on staff sees them and says something, ok. But I wouldn't bother passing on such ridiculous details to all guests.
  • Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't even expect this to happen.  Unless there's an emergency, no one is going to be sitting and chatting on their cell phone during a wedding reception.  I really can't remember anyone even using their phone at my reception.  I wouldn't worry yourself too much over this one. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cel-phones-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b02ae2aa-099f-4aa1-8a3b-85dea079f3c5Post:78fbee44-2075-4d75-86c2-58cf340568d1">Re: No cel phones at reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry. You have consistently misspelled the word cell. Please hang up and try again. If you need need help, hit the spell check button.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

We totally need a "Like" button, like on FB.
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • Options
    ac_in_dcac_in_dc member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cel-phones-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b02ae2aa-099f-4aa1-8a3b-85dea079f3c5Post:f770c32e-8605-421d-9f7a-390e0f587995">Re: No cel phones at reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do two things: I would put the following message 1.  on the bottom of the reception card that goes in with your wedding invitation and 2.  on a small card that will go on every single place setting at the reception venue: Please be aware that the Windemere Country Club does not permit the use of cell phones on the property, except for receiving voice mail or text messages.  If you will need to leave your cell phone on in case of emergency, please turn your phone to vibrate only; no audible sounds are allowed.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I have to disagree. Please don't do this. Especially on the invite reception card. There are very few things that should go on the invite cards, and this is not one of them (now if you want to put it on the logistics/directions insert with your invites or on the web site that's fine. Other posters had good ideas too).
  • Options
    It's not that all unusual of a rule.  Most of the upper scale YCs I've been too have this rule for the Dining Rooms and sometimes even the bar area.

I'm sure there will be notificatuion of the rule already at the CC, but yes, YOU (your FILs) are expected to control your guests behavior. 

I would have it listed on your website and word of mouth,
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I put "other", and think you should approach it in several methods. 

Put it on your wedding website, word of mouth, and if you have a separate insert in the invitations for the reception, put it on there as well. 

Or I've seen some weddings where reception information was announced at the end of the ceremony, was put in the ceremony program, or they gave out handouts/maps as guests exited the ceremony location.  That might be an option.

And hopefully the country club will have their policy posted somewhere, or can discretely inform guests of the posted policies if needed.  As pervasive as cell phone usage is, surely they run into this on a regular basis.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards