North Carolina
Options

Invitation question

OK so I am doing my invites as we speak......but had a quick question. What are the Outer envelops and the Inner envelopes??? I have one large envelope...inside that envelope I have the Invite ( "you are invited blah blah) then I have a reception card the rsvp card and return envelope for that and then directions. What is the "inner envelope??? I keep seeing that on every website that I have been on. I am about 95 percent finished with these and don't want to missing something that I should have.

Re: Invitation question

• Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    outers are what you send the invites in (you address this one and put a stamp on it) when invites were hand delivered these got messed up in delivery, so when the servants of the house received them, they took the outer one off and threw it away so they just received the inner, which just had the names of those invited on the outside, not the address. hth!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You normally see them for graduation announcements & wedding invites.By your description, you don't have an inner envelope. It's fine not to have inner envelopes. Traditionally, formal invites & announcements were put into an envelope & addressed like this:Mr. and Mrs. SmithThat would be put in a ever-so-slightly larger envelope, which would be stamped & fully addressed like this:Mr. and Mrs. John D. Smith123 Any StreetAnytown, North Carolina 12345
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On the outer envelope, you include the address information and formal names. The inner envelope spells out exactly who is invited. Some people prefer to use informal names here, others will say still us Mr. and Mrs.  without the address. You would put your invite, rsvp, etc in the inner envelope and then that envelope in the outer envelope.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I don't necessarily need an inner envelope?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    lol I guess I didn't fully understand your description.... I didn't use an 'inner and outer' we just used one envelope. You normally see both envelopes for more formal events now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    AHHHHH!!! Well I started addressing all the envelopes and on the outer I put (if they were a single guest) Mr. John Smith and Guest. But really I should have "Mr. John Smith" and his address on the outer and then John Smith and Guest on the inner right??? Crap!!! This changes everything. I may have to go get more envelopes and start the addressing thing all over again.
  • Options
    swimher14swimher14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, you don't need an inner. Just put everyone's name who is invited on the outer, and specify guests and such.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am with you Jessica!!! I would rather just use one!!! Our wedding is not at all that formal. I may since I am pretty much done just stick with what I have. In all reality, I don't think our guest are going to question why there wasn't an "inner envelope".....hehehehe!! I just didn't know what it was...thanks for clarifying
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Technically, you're not supposed to put "and Guest" anywhere if you can possibly help it. It's really much more polite if you can figure out who "and Guest" is & invite them by name. If that's not possible, you could always say "Two seats have been reserved for you..." on the RSVP?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, just leave it. I'm doing outer envelopes only, and I put everyone who is invited on the outer envelope, even if they are a couple who is dating and not married, like "Ms. Allison Jones and Mr. Keith Baker"   I really have no desire to spend extra money on inner envelopes, and I know my guests will not care at ALL, so I'm just doing whatever. Even if it's against etiquette rules, I dont care too much :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah don't worry with it!!!!! remember.... THEY JUST GET THROWN AWAY! Don't waste energy and money!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmmm!!! I could probably do that with a few of my guest...figure out the names of who they are bringing. But I do have a few guests that still really no idea who they want to bring. Mostly the single guys ( go figure!!!) The RSVP cards are already printed and assembled. Those took me about the month to do...since I have a these tiny little flowers that I added to them. HMMMMMMM!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if I knew a guest had a steady bf/gf I found out their name and added their name to the envelope.... but we did have several, I just put and guest... and if it's guys that they will go too.... chances are they won't know what's correct etiquette and whats not!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I had one outer envelope that was going to say "so and so and guest" but then i found out the girlfriend's name at the last moment. If I hadn't, I was just going to leave it, I figured screw etiquette, no one will know any better, and I want them to know they can bring a guest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah a lot of the guys have different flavors of the week....and you guys are right...chances are they are not going to know what is the "correct" way of writing these things. I just want them to know that they can bring someone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We ended up using just one envelope, which nearly caused WWIII when my mother found out.  The paper for the one envelope was WAY nicer plus we didn't see the point of two.  But I did wonder what to do about guests and spelling out exactly who was invited so I did some research and deciding.  For those couple of people we invited with a guest (rather than a steady bf or gf whose name we knew), we just put "Ms. Smith and Guest" on the name line on the response card.  For everyone else we found the name and put the name on either the envelope or response card, depending on whether the bf/gf lived at that address.  Married couples should go on the same line and couples that just live together's names should go on separate lines.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha for all of DH's friends we didn't know who they were bring as guests, so on the outer envelope we put "and Guest" whatevvvvver!!! Don't Stress, it'll be okay!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have inner envelopes either. I didn't put and guest, but in my case our list is pretty small so I'll just tell them they can bring someone. If someone is scrutinizing your envelopes that much, they should have done it for you! haha, who cares!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards