Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

sigh

My FI wanted to buy a gift for his coworker, and this is what he found on her website:

No longer registered, monetary(cash) gift perfered

!!!!!

He just started the job a couple months ago, but I originally thought it'd be nice for him to send her a small gift.  After seeing the above note on her registry page, I'm reconsidering the gesture.  Thoughts? 

Re: sigh

• Options
    Send a card.  No cash, no gift.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I think a nice greeting card is in order.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't give a gift. But that's just me.

ETA: Meant to say wouldn't.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    that's just plain tacky. a card it is.
  • Options
    She could have at least spelled 'preferred' correctly.
  • Options
    You should get them an ugly lamp. And a card. An ugly card.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    They spell good these people, yeah? *shakes head*
  • Options
    You should get them an ugly lamp. And a card. An ugly card.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    Oh, goodness.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    What is wrong with people?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How about a book?

• Options
    I would send her a card and Emily Post's book with the "Registeries" section tabbed.
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2010
    If he's only worked there a couple months, I wouldn't give her anything.  If all of the co-workers aren't going in on a group gift, then he shouldn't feel obligated to do anything, even a card.

ETA: That's assuming that he's not invited to the wedding.  It didn't sound like he was based on your post.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    And why did she put "(cash)" after monetary?  Does she think people don't know what monetary means?  Or is she really asking for cash, meaning she doesn't want checks?

In any event, NO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd get them a card and then find something I was going to give to Goodwill and send that to them.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    LOL spelling for dummies that is hilarious!!! Who does that! That's so mean. Although I don't know what's worse. My cousin who lived with her FI for 9 years registering for cheap dishtowels, or this note. I think they're both pretty bad. 99 cent wedding card here we come!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I agree with casrd & no gift or card & Goodwill/non-returnable gift.

Crosswalk
  • Options
    Ewww! So they were registered, and then decided the wedding was getting too expensive, so they cancelled their registry, and are now 'perferring' cash gifts.
    Classy. Is your fi invited to the wedding?
  • Options
    I would write on the inside of the card, I PREFERRED to give you a card instead.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
    Buy her a toaster, a two slice one.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Nope, he's not invited.  But they work with each other directly, and she talks about the wedding constantly.  (My FI, on the other hand, prefers not to talk about our personal life at all at work -- the correct and professional thing to do.)  She is sort of his subordinate, and at least where I work, the supervisor-type people usually do buy gifts for their staff in similar situations, so I made that recommendation to him.  Until now.

I'm going to suggest that he get an office wedding card and have everyone sign it. 
  • Options
    [QUOTE]LOL spelling for dummies that is hilarious!!! Who does that! That's so mean. Although I don't know what's worse. My cousin who lived with her FI for 9 years registering for cheap dishtowels, or this note. I think they're both pretty bad. 99 cent wedding card here we come!
    Posted by smore154[/QUOTE]

Would you have preferred that they register for expensive china (or ask for cash)? Yes, they could have refrained from registering, but at least she didn't go crazy.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_sigh-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b301b66c-c43d-4fec-bb6e-619b7afad6dePost:28765c6a-f216-4ec8-b3f7-41d5b58fdde0">Re: sigh</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOL spelling for dummies that is hilarious!!! Who does that! That's so mean. Although I don't know what's worse. My cousin who lived with her FI for 9 years registering for cheap dishtowels, or this note. I think they're both pretty bad. 99 cent wedding card here we come!
    Posted by smore154[/QUOTE]

What's so bad about registering for cheap dishtowels?  Was that the only thing on the registry?
    murrayed
  • Options
    I registered for cheap dishtowels. Guess my marriage is doomed.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
    I don't see an issue with registering for cheap items.

I think this is actually a polite thing to do, so there are options for everybody, rich and poor.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've been with my FI for 8 years (9 when we get married) so I'm not supposed to register for inexpensive gifts because we've been living together for the bulk of our relationship?

What do you think we should register for then?  Or wait should we not get gifts at all? At wedding people give gifts... how long you've been together won't affect that, and not everyone can afford the fine bone china or crystal (or want that for that matter).

Getting a $.99 card for someone because they registered for cheap dishtowels is ridiculous!  Glad you're not invited to my friend.
  • Options
    I dont understand why anyone would want expensive dishtowels. My dishtowels get cruddy after a while and have to be turned into dishrags or thrown out, because I use them and wash them so often. Cheap is the way to go.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    If he's not invited, you're not required to get her anything.  If he's only been there a couple months then I def say no to any sort of gift or card.  If someone in the office knows her better and wants to initiate something then let them.  Your FI is sweet for thinking about it, but with her "perfered" gift request, she can blow it out her hole.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards