Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Tacky or Sweet?

I'm a music major, but not a vocal major even though I sing moderately well. Would it be tacky or awkward for me to sing a short song to my groom during the wedding?

Re: Tacky or Sweet?

• If i had the courage to do something like that i would do it, only if it was short and sweet though nothing drawn out
  • You will be very emotional during yoru wedding and likely not up to your best vocals. Additionally everyone is in the alkward position of having to loke what may not be your best since you are the bride on the wedding dqay. I woudl skip this and save your guests the alkward moment
  • I agree with the PP...My MOH. at her wedding and unknown to all the bridal party, got someone to sing the whole Alicia Keys "If I Ain't Got You". during the ceremony It was WAY too long and people were still talking about it (negatively) at the reception.
  • It's a sweet sentiment, but I agree with pp to skip it at the ceremony.  Save it for a private moment with your DH.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I've heard of plenty of musician grooms performing at their own weddings, but it's usually at the reception. (I've seen the groom play the processional and it was really sweet, but I don't think you can sing your own processional!) It's also usually in the midst of other live music; having a live performance in the middle of a bunch of pre-recorded music would feel out of place. What instrument do you normally play? I would think it would be better for you to do what you're best at, rather than something you do "moderately well."
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I think this would work well at the reception.  You'll be a little less "in the moment" and have some time to prepare yourself for the song.  I'm not a very emotional person at all, but my voice cracked during my vows.  No way I could have sang something then.  Later, after a couple of glasses of champagne?  Sure. 
  • Hmm maybe I'm too modest. I met my FH while at I was with a singing group from my college. He LOVES the few times I sang to him when we're alone, so I know he would melt if I sang to him in public. I do agree that it needs to be short, and I'm probably going to put it closer to the beginning of the ceremony before I get completely choked up.  Also, I'm having all live music, and I'm not putting it in the program so if the moment arrives and I'm not able, maybe I could signal my pianist not to play it. Oh and I was a flute performance major...so no flute for me, I think that would be much more awkward :)
  • I would say that unless you are "awesome" at singing or Uber confident, I wouldn't, people are extremely critical of anyone who sings...unless of course you are going to do something hilarious a la Camaron Diaz in My Best Friends Wedding, where she was so bad it was good.Could you play and get a singer friend to sing? I just get the feeling people would be more receptive to this?If you do decide to sing I would go for something that people can either clap along to, sing along to or dance to, if they all feel like they just have to stand and watch you they may feel a bit awkward.
  • Sorry, I've just read subsequent post, if you're singing in the church probably best not to do the Camaron Diaz thing! (slightly inappropriate)I would definately say do it at the reception, the ceremony is going to be hugely emotional and it may tighten the vocal chords, if you do it at the reception you'll be much more relaxed.
  • A friend of mine's husband sang to her during their wedding ceremony and it was sooo sweet..I almost cried during it!  I think you should do what you want, and if you think singing to your groom would make the ceremony more special, then do it.  However, if you're kind of going back and forth about it and feeling unsure, I'd maybe say skip it...it's not worth having the extra anxiety during the ceremony if you're not really sure you want to do it.GL! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards