Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Go to shower but not to wedding?

My friend is getting married, and I am able to attend the shower but not the wedding. Is this ok, or do most people not attend the shower if they can't attend the wedding?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Go to shower but not to wedding?

• Options
    That's fine. Just make sure you RSVP to both.
  • Options
    It is perfectly fine for you to attend her shower but not the wedding.  You are an invited guest to both so have fun!

• Options
    It's definitely okay to attend the shower, but not the wedding. I have no idea what the norm is, though. Etiquette-wise there's nothing wrong with it.
  • Options

It's fine.  I've had to miss weddings before but went to the shower.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    As long as you were INVITED to both, it's ok to attend whatever fits in your schedule/budget.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Its totally fine to go to the shower and not to the wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2013
    Yup, perfectly fine.  I had people come to my shower but not the wedding because they were out of town on the actual wedding date.  I thought nothing of it and was glad they were able to make it to the shower.
  • Options
    I had a friend getting married out of state and there was no way I could take off anymore work to fly down, it was an ASAP wedding, and I'd used up my vacation days. A few other friends also couldn't fly down either, so instead we threw her a local bridal shower to show our support and that we still loved her even if we couldn't be there for her for her big day. So with that said, I think it's pretty common to go to one but not the other, especially if locations are a conflict.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards