North Carolina
Options

Chose a new baker!

Hey girls.  So if you didn't read the posts below, my old baker Kim left town with my deposit and I was left with less than 2 months to find someone else.  We have decided to go with Simply Cakes out of Cary.  I could not say enough good things about Simply Cakes and the owner Lorie.  She is professional, incredibly knowledgable, and her cakes are TO DIE for.  She was on the higher end of our budget, but it will def be worth it- plus all cakes are 4 layers per tier (not 2 like most places).  She has every size pan imaginable so she was able to customize my cake to the exact number of servings I wanted.  I also had a cake tasting with Ashley cakes, and unfortunately I was highly disappointed.  We had our appt. at Borders in Cary at 2 pm.  When we walked in at 5 til 2, she was still with another client.  I walked over and introduced myself and said "Just wanted to let you know I was here."  My mom, FI, and I then proceeded to wait 30 MINUTES for her to wrap up with the other customer. I thought that was so rude, and Ashley should have kept track of the time and when it got close to 2 said, "If we need to schedule another consultation.... blah blah).  Then we we finally sat down at 2:30, she had forgotton not only to bring 3 sample plates (she only brought 2) she forgot to bring ANY white cake.  She only had chocolate, red velvet, and spice.  She had specifically asked how many plates to bring and also what flavors I wanted to try a few days before.  I want a very traditional cake, so the flavors supplied were not what I was going to choose anyways.  She also was not flexible with servings at all.  I want a simple 3 tier round stacked cake- She could do 100 servings or 70, but nothing in btwn (which I thought was really odd).  Plus, to be honest, her cake was not good at all.  I feel bad writing that review, but my mom, FI and I were so excited to see her b/c of all the good reviews she received, and we left so disappointed.  Sorry that was a novel. :)
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Chose a new baker!

• Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your reviews! I originally wanted to work with Kim since her prices were so much more affordable. We will be ready to choose our baker in the next few months so I welcome all feedback...good and bad.
  • Options
    MrsMeMoMrsMeMo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So glad you found someone! I'm meeting with Becca of Cakes for a Cause this weekend and if her cake prices are as reasonable as her cupcake prices I think some of you other brides should check her out as well. I'll update on the taste after our meeting Sunday.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP #2 [4.27.11] EDD [01.07.12] It's a BOY! BFP #1 EDD (10.15.11) M/C @ 6w5d Pregnancy Announcement Video Sex Announcement Video
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    are you serious...did a cake baker actually meet you in another establishment that serves snacks...that's very unprofessional...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh wait a moment...i found a slice of white cake down in my bag...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay for choosing a new baker! I am sorry you had such a bad experience with Ashley. We met with her last week and really loved her. We are doing her spice cake and the lemon cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay!  We are going to go with Cinda.  Her cake was wonderful and she's so super easy to work with!  I am really excited about our cake! I felt the same way you did Courtney about our meeting with Ashley (we met with her the 1st time we picked a cake).  I told her specifically that my mom was coming with us, and she didn't have enough samples to go around.  I was really impressed with her decorating skills, but not so much with the cake flavor.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im so glad you found someone else!!!! Yay! :)
  • Options
    momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going to try simply cakes at the show on sunday based on your review.  I am looking forward to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards