North Carolina
Options

Announcements?

Did anyone send out announcements?Long story short, we cut FMIL guest list WAY DOWN (she had people on there that FI didnt even know and hasnt seen since he was 5 yrs old). She really wants us to send out announcements because of this.I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this and have never heard of anyone doing it or recieved one myself. She is stating that it is a notice that states we are married and our address and it goes to those who did not get invited to the wedding.  Since we are having a small beach weding of course we arent inviting every family member and friend. I'm not sure if I am comfortable with this but maybe its because I dont understand it.  I sorta feel like if I got a notice after someone got married that had thier address on it they would be wanting me to send them a gift or something OR I would just say junk mail and toss it.

Re: Announcements?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The only reason you'd send an announcement is to those who weren't on the guest list and you send those after the wedding so those people don't mistake the announcement as an invitation. Usually these go out to older relatives. They actually have a similar look and feel as the invitations do.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea I'm with you I don't think I've ever received an Announcement and if I did I would probably just roll my eyes.  I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks though!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom told me I should, so they would send gifts! haha I like her thinking! But I don't know if I will.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's kind of like sending out graduation announcements to people who aren't invited to graduation. I think that it's fine if you do it because you want to inform everyone, I don't think it's right though to do it just because you want more gifts. It would be good to include the 'at home' card as well. Which would add more purpose to the announcement.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh I haven't thought of it like a Graduation announcement, good call Meredith!  That being said, Amanda, if you all are moving to a new address or whatever you could also include the "our new address" bit in the announcement too?
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we arent moving to a new address.....i am just scared people will interpret them as "asking for a gift".....FI mom said the same thing "you need to include your address so people will know where to send the gift".....that is exactly what i dont want people to think.maybe i should just let her pay for them and send them out for me (something tells me she would change her mind then), lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wait, she wants you to mail out something you don't even care about AND she wants you to pay for it? Maybe this is just me, but I think she should pay for the announcements since she wants to send them out to all these people that she knows.
  • Options
    tafayetafaye member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am sending out announcements.  But I both of our families live in the north east, so we are not sending out invites to any of our older relatives.  so that they don't feel bad that we didn't include them.  This is not a thing realy done anymore, but it is what was proper for our parent and grandparents.  So I am doing it to make them happy and include all the great aunts, and what nots.  Don't feel weird about it.  Just only send them out to old folk.  And yes they probably will sen you something.  But do it because that is how they think in their social protical.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards