Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Walkability

This is probably old news but I just found a website that give's your neighborhood a "walk score" out of 100. I love to walk places and its one of the things I love about DC is that I usually can. I was kind of bummed that I might have to give that up when we move (especially since we are a single car family and have no plans to change that). Well turns out where I live here has a score of 80, and where I'm moving has a score of 79! So basically the same!

Anyway, I think the website is fun and I'm occupying myself looking up every address I've ever lived at. 

ETA: the website is walkscore.com
Photobucket

Re: NWR: Walkability

• Lol mine has a 15 out of 100, so yeah gotta have that car.
  • Ha, my score is 8 out of 100... I'm not surprised by that. There's literally nothing within walking distance besides other houses.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2012
    Ha.  Where I lived in the DC area (downtown Silver Spring MD), the walk score is 86.  Where I live now in NC, it's 0.  That is definitely the thing I miss most about DC. 

ETA: The 0 score here is not surprising at all.  My subdivision is huge.  We have to drive 2 miles just to get out of it.  Then another 5 miles or so to get to the nearest store. 
  • I put in my old address from Dupont Circle and it was a 97! I'm sure I'll never get anything that good again. 
    Photobucket
  • Wow, I actually scored an 18. It even knew the building next to my office building, and I'm only 0.5 miles away. I should have walked today.
  • Cool website.  My neighborhood is a 3. 

Sounds like your new neighborhood will be great Rupert.

• Heh.  My score is 97!  We don't even own a car.  I walk everywhere and love it.
  • FI's mom said something once about us having one car to save money and I looked at her like she had 5 heads. It's not feasible, but even if it was, I need my car... I get extreme anxiety anytime I don't have it. Example, I had to leave it at FI's house last week because I started throwing up and couldn't drive home. He drove me home and then 3 hours later, I woke my mom up to have her take me back to get it because I was almost having a panic attack about not having the car... at 1 am. I know that's not normal, but it is what it is.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tampa is 51.  My house is 55.  Sweet!  Too bad there's nothing nearby that I want to walk to.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:f7521aa1-d8e3-4a61-a4c7-d89b61b8e858">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]49.  I've heard the whole Detroit area is pretty car-dependant on purpose. The lack of public transport is a nod to the car industry.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Wow, I understand that but it kind of sucks. </div><div>
    </div><div>My college town went the other direction and in an effort to make the city "green" they did everything they could to make it impossible to drive. They made restaurants take out drive-thru's, set a maximum on the number on the number of parking spots businesses could provide, and made shady deals with ruthless towing companies. It was pretty terrible. 

</div>
    Photobucket
  • 66! Pretty good. I actually love our neighborhood. Where I grew up was a 3 which doesn't surprise me at all. 
  • Anna, you lived in Dupont Circle? I'm so jealous.  I would have LOVED to live there, but we already had 2 cars that we didn't want to sell since we knew we would eventually leave DC, and the thought of trying to park them anywhere in/near Dupont is just crazy.  Plus I have massive bedroom furniture and we never would have found an affordable apartment there with a bedroom big enough to fit it.  So we chose Silver Spring instead. 
  • I'm not surprised, but my current home is 15 and FI's apartment is 42. Horray improvement!
  • 89. The one thing I love about where we live is that we have metro station 2 mins away.
  • Our condo rates a 35 which doesn't really surprise me. I think we have 1 pizza place and a convenince store in our neighbourhood. There's also a park/playground and a school about 3 kms away. Other then that it's all residential.
    Anniversary
  • Ours is 80 as well. Maybe that's why I love it so much. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My current house is a 25.  My old apartment close to downtown was an 82 and Columbus overall is an 89.  Which actually seems kind of high, considering most people have cars.

My last apartment in Chicago is a 95....man, I miss that place.  I just miss living somewhere I can walk to places other than houses.
  • I've never lived anywhere that I wasn't extremely car-dependent.  Things are just more sprawled out here I think.  We have the open space so we use it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:31ed7c77-2716-4196-8f2a-6412853e878e">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna, you lived in Dupont Circle? I'm so jealous.  I would have LOVED to live there, but we already had 2 cars that we didn't want to sell since we knew we would eventually leave DC, and the thought of trying to park them anywhere in/near Dupont is just crazy.  Plus I have massive bedroom furniture and we never would have found an affordable apartment there with a bedroom big enough to fit it.  So we chose Silver Spring instead. 
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, I lived in a rowhouse with two random guys when I first moved here. The house was kind of shitty but my room was nice. I didn't have a car or furniture so it was easy for me to live there then. I couldn't do it now though. And our rent was low for the area, like $2300 for the whole (3/1) house I think?

</div>
    Photobucket
  • eirwyneirwyn member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Mine is 64. I definitely need a car for work and grocery shopping. Our public transit is a joke. We do have some nice restaurants and a movie theatre within walking distance, though.

We want to move to Chicago within the next two years. Every neighborhood we've considered has a score of 90+. I can't wait to sell our cars. I love being able to walk everywhere (or use public transit).
  • Woo hoo!  Current address is 74!  I love it!
  • Ours is 58.  I feel like it should be higher than that, but maybe H's and my tolerance for walking is higher than most people's.

I'd love to know our "bikeability."  That score has got to be really high, and we love to bike everywhere in the summer.
  • MyUserName1MyUserName1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Where I live now gets a 65.  Not bad!

Where I grew up got a 23...because like they don't count how far it is with ROADS, just how far as the crow flies.  So they were counting places I'd have had to swim a mile or two to get to as walkable!

ETA: pretty sure if they had counted miles by actual land mass, it would be about a negative twenty three.  Had to cross a bridge for the nearest gas station/convenience store/thing that's not a house.
  • My current house is 49. The one I grew up in is 47.
  • thanks for sharing this, Anna.  I'd definitely like to use it to find our next place. I love that we can currently walk to restaurants and trails.
  • Detroit gets a 50, but my exact address gets a 23. Which is lame because I live downtown and that's the most walkable part of Detroit!

When I worked downtown, I really cut down on car time b/c I could walk to work, but the problem with Detroit is lack of other shopping in the city. Sure, I can walk to great bars/restaurants and a CVS, but as far as big box stores, or even small ones, for general needs, you need a car.

Lack of mass transit makes me sad. I long for it.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:31153da8-8537-4659-b703-c4b304487c87">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks for sharing this, Anna.  I'd definitely like to use it to find our next place. I love that we can currently walk to restaurants and trails.
    Posted by MattsPenguin[/QUOTE]

<div>I wish I had known about it while I was looking for places. I think I did about as well as I could anyway, and will definitely look at this before we move again. </div>
    Photobucket
  • The area that I grew up in Cincy was an 18 for my mom's house and a 50 for my dad's house.  My mom's neighborhood didn't even have sidewalks!  At least at my dad's we could walk to school or the pool.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:69be3f17-1fba-416e-9a30-db35e9d4dff6">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Walkability : Yeah, I lived in a rowhouse with two random guys when I first moved here. The house was kind of shitty but my room was nice. I didn't have a car or furniture so it was easy for me to live there then. I couldn't do it now though. And our rent was low for the area, like $2300 for the whole (3/1) house I think?
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

<div>Awesome.  I've always loved Dupont.  In grad school used to go to the Cosi on Conn Ave to study all the time.  Either there, or to Tryst in Adams Morgan.  I'm weird and I study better in places like that.  I can't focus in a library or in a dorm room.  I lived in campus at Gallaudet when I was a student, though.  The area around Gally is not exactly the safest area in the city, and I couldn't afford to live in a nicer area off campus when I was still a student. I used to walk from the Florida Ave metro stop to campus at like midnight, sometimes by myself.  Looking back that was really, really dumb of me. </div><div>
    </div><div>I did love Silver Spring though.  We were literally across the street from the metro, which was awesome.  </div><div>
    </div><div>We went back to visit last weekend, and the whole week before/drive up there H and I was all nostalgic and wondering why we decided to move away.  Then we got to around Woodbridge, VA on 95 and the traffic started, and we suddenly remembered.  </div>
  • Wow, my city/neighborhood is 95...who knew!?!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards