Wedding Etiquette Forum

Coworker inviting himself

So my fiance recently has gotten closer with a coworker who is new to his department. The coworker, we'll call him Bob, recently asked my fiance if he can be in the wedding. He asked to be a groomsman, particularly the best man, and deliver a speech. Mind you, we're having a tiny fiasco with the best man, as his best friend probably can't do it, and he'd like to choose another (his other groomsmen don't know about the best friend being his first choice, he's told them he doesn't know yet). I have no idea if he's conveyed any of this to Bob. Bob has resigned that he'd simply be happy being a guest. My fiance tells him, "We'll have to see" and avoids the topic. After we discussed this, we came to the conclusion this just isn't viable. We can't afford any more people. The problem is the coworker won't drop it. When I was picking up my fiance from work the other night, Bob says to me, "Hey Sarah! I'm coming to your wedding, I hope Russ told you" to which I hear my fiance say, "I said we'll see". We never said we'd invite him. How to we make it clear that we just can't? There are a lot of friends who we already can't invite that are much closer, so even if hypothetically we could fit one more couple (he has a SO), he would not be our choice. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards