North Carolina
Options

Fake Cakes?

I keep having this CRAZY idea to create a fake cake for pictures sake.  This fake cake will look just like the navy blue damask cake by Swank on my blog but you can lift each tier like a platter cover and underneath will be these yummy cupcakes. So I can get the look of the cake I want to see in my pix but the yummy white chocolate raspberry cupcakes that I crave.Do y'all think this idea is CRAZY? Better yet...do you know someone creative enough to pull it off? I have a cupcake lady that makes these yummy cupcakes.  Just need a fake cake designer.Cicy

Re: Fake Cakes?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think this is crazy at all! A lot of people do fake cake layers with styrofoam covered in fondant. We did that because we wanted our cake to look a certain way but didn't need all of the servings from that layer. I think the trickiest part would be how to make it like a platter cover, as you suggested.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I dont think that is a crazy idea at all. Have you talked to the cupcake lady to see if she has any suggestions on how to pull this off?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No. I'll actually see her tomorrow at work.  Glad to know others may be using fakes in some way too.
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's a cute idea. My only concern would be how to do the "cake cutting". I think you could still use styrofoam like many people do with fake layers, just hollow it out and maybe line it with plastic wrap to keep any loose pieces from falling in your cupcakes. It would be much more fragile though. Keep us updated on how this works out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I went to a wedding where they had one huge fake cake and I was confused. They didn't even so much as take a picture with it. The whole wedding didn't really provide much food so at the end of the evening, my mom and I were walking out and saw these little boxes. We're like hmmmm, I wonder what this is - it was little cakes! Now those...those were great!So, a fake layer to make a cake look larger, that seems okay to me. But don't do an entirely fake cake just for pictures. If you crave the cupcakes, you can make those look fabulous.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A co-worker of mine and his wife did that for their wedding. They had a cake with styrofoam layers, and frosted to look like a real cake. One layer was real, that's the one they cut into for pictures. The baker made them a sheet cake which was cut up in the back, no one was any wiser and it saved them lots of $$
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're probably doing a fake top layer. We don't want to save ours for a year, and I just know that we'll get resistance from some of our older guests and perhaps the people cutting the cake if we try to serve the top layer, so we decided to make that one styrofoam.
  • Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a pretty cool idea! When I worked in a bakery we did fake layers all the time.... but never an entire fake cake. Maybe go to michaels and get different size hat boxes, and maybe have your cupcake lady see if they are feesable to decorate!?!? Might be worth a shot! Then you could hide all your little cupcakes down inside each box!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I could never do a fake cake. It's just not me. I'd go to the grocery store first.
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There were quite a few bakers at the bridal show this past weekend that talked about the fake layers and stuff they could add to make a cake look fancier.  So it can be done.  I would just ask if it is cheaper or not.  One person I asked told me it is the same price to a fake cake as a regular one.  For the life of me I can't remember who it was b/c as soon as they said that, I immediately crossed them off my list.
  • Options
    momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is a GREAT idea.  Very unique.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    **jemessica**: Never thought about the hat boxes but that is exactly what I was thinking of.  I think it's unique and will play around with the idea more.Thanks ladies for weighing in on this post.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Piggybacking off the hat boxes idea - maybe you can do a real cupcake display, but then do a card box for your gift table shaped like the navy and white cake you like? In hat box layers with ribbons. But the fake cake idea's not bad, either. The card box could probably be completely DIY, though, so you wouldn't need to pay your baker to decorate two things. I'm not paying the same price per person for the top fake layer on my cake, but it's not free, either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The gift display idea is cute too. You have my wheels turning on this one. Since the idea is kinda out there maybe it will end up being a DIY for the bridal shower.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards