North Carolina
Options

Will you drive to my wedding? :(

Hey all! I'm new around here. I haven't pinned down a date yet because I want to find the perfect venue first. I live in Durham, and I was wondering, how far do you think is too far to go to a local wedding? I feel like everyting in the triangle is out of my price range. Do you think a 30- or 45 minute drive is too long? I don't want people to bail on going to my wedding because they don't want to have to drive really far. Most brides are stressing about trimming their guests lists but I've got this fear that I'll send out 200 invitations and only 20 people will come. :(In other news, Highgrove Estate is having an open house on Saturday. Has anyone used this vendor? I got their price list and since they have an exclusive caterer its probably more than I can afford, but I'm still curious to check it out.

Re: Will you drive to my wedding? :(

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that a 30-45 minute drive is out of the question for your local guests.  They might be surprised, but it's certainly do-able.  Depending on how late your reception goes you might have some guests that leave early to make it home at a reasonable time.  With drinking involved, I might also be worried about guests who consume too much; however, you could cut off alcohol early if you're serving it.As far as Highgrove is concerned, I got married their in May.  They are a fabulous venue, and a few other brides on the board have gotten married there and been very happy.  The catering is fabulous, and they are truly a full-service venue with other perks like a day-of coordinator, a rentals deal with C&E Rentals, a fab tent, etc.  If you're open to it, you could do what we did to save money, which was have a brunch wedding instead of a Saturday evening wedding.  It almost cut our cost in half with what we would have paid for the evening wedding there. If you need more info, let me know!  You can email me at thomasandbridget09 at gmail dot com
    Photo Credit: Luster Studios
    Items for Sale!
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love it if my friends weddings were only 30-45 minutes away!  I flew to NY for one last year and am flying to Boston for another one in October.Asking people to driving under an hour is not a big deal at all.  They don't have to get a hotel room or stay over night.  Plus if your wedding is important them, they won't mind driving 30 minutes to be there :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Highgrove's a board favorite...visit the NC Bio for more info on who's gotten married there.  As far as your guests, maybe an afternoon reception would work out better if people have to drive to your venue.  This would eliminate a lot of people feeling the need to leave early to get home or worrying about the drunkies :) Plus it'll help on your costs! GL!!
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • Options
    allisonuncallisonunc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed! 30 - 45 minutes is no biggie! Oh, and welcome to the board :) You can get a lot of good recommendations for venues on here too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    30 - 45 minutes is nothing and people will come...and love you for it! mine is 3 1/2 hours away
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! I wouldn't have a problem at all with driving 30-45 minutes to a friend's wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think anyone would object to driving 30-45 min. Our wedding is G-boro and all of friends live here in the RDU area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Around here 30-45 min is nothing! Back in Boston it may be a little far, but we are used to everything being 5 minutes away. I have learned to expect things to be far away around here because everything is so spread out. Don't worry about other people. Pick a venue that YOU and Fi love and don't worry about who is gonna complain about the drive.
    Marieke & Michael 5.14.10 Loving life with our 2 boys Anthony (3.22.08) and Dominic (due 2.14.11)!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, 30-45 is no big deal at all. Last wedding we went to was in Salisbury, drove there from Kannapolis, that was about 35-40 minutes. Two years ago we went to a wedding down in the Ballantyne part of Charlotte, that took us a full 45 minutes, but we went. In NC, a 30-45 minute drive to get somewhere for social purposes really isnt a big deal ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is about 30-45 minutes from my house, and over an hour from anyone elses. No one has batted an eye at us for the location!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    smlinebesmlinebe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the other girls, 30-45 minutes is just fine.  I just went to an old roommate's wedding....4 hours away :)
  • Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! My fiance and I grew up in Durham and both of our families are still there, we are getting married 2 hours away, north of Winston. All of our family is making the drive! Hope that helps! :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah just to chime in, 30-45 minutes is NOTHING. We live in Durham and our wedding is in Wake Forest which is about 25-30 minutes away. My family is coming from an hour East, his is coming from 3.5 hours away. And I find that most people in their 20s-30s don't mind a little drive.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs - 30-45 minutes for a wedding is really no big deal.  And I think Bridget had a great idea about having your wedding earlier in the day to make the drive easier, to cut costs, and to lighten the alcohol load! Welcome to the board, everyone is super helpful and we look forward to planning with you :)
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs - our wedding is 30 minutes from our house.  Totally wouldn't even blink at a 30 minute drive - very do-able.
  • Options
    MrsMeMoMrsMeMo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on your budget you should look in to Doubletree Guest Suites in Durham. I'm having my wedding there on Sunday September 6th, 2009. There is some budget info in my bio if you're in the $6,000-$10,000 range.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP #2 [4.27.11] EDD [01.07.12] It's a BOY! BFP #1 EDD (10.15.11) M/C @ 6w5d Pregnancy Announcement Video Sex Announcement Video
  • Options
    MrsMeMoMrsMeMo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And to answer your question, of course I would drive that far. I think anything more than an hour I'd stay at a hotel in the area, but an hour or less I'd drive there and back and it would be no issue at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP #2 [4.27.11] EDD [01.07.12] It's a BOY! BFP #1 EDD (10.15.11) M/C @ 6w5d Pregnancy Announcement Video Sex Announcement Video
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a Triangle wedding that was a 45 minute drive away.  But I will be honest, I really debated going at all at 45 minutes.  If it had been a closer friends I wouldn't have questioned it, but this was someone I hadn't talked to in YEARS so it took me awhile before I decided I was willing to do the drive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards