Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Opening gifts as guests come in at shower???

I was at a shower recently where the bride opened her gifts individually with each guest as guests came in. Then all the gifts were displayed and she told everyoe who got her what and said a thank you.It was super nice to not sit through the opening of presents, (there were 80 guests) but it was a bit strange and unexpected. Thoughts on this? Any other ideas on how to avoid making shower guests sit there forever hating their lives while you open gifts?? I anticipate my shower being large as well. 

Re: Opening gifts as guests come in at shower???

• Options
    I think this is odd. I would do it the regular way as to not ruffle anyones feathers. 
  • Options
    I think it makes the gifts look like they're admission fees or something. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_opening-gifts-as-guests-come-in-at-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bc99b80c-5ed2-4707-bce7-aac76f92d090Post:6f795f5d-b5b1-40a7-b5b4-4589d35b5516">Opening gifts as guests come in at shower???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was at a shower recently where the bride opened her gifts individually with each guest as guests came in. Then all the gifts were displayed and she told everyoe who got her what and said a thank you.It was super nice to not sit through the opening of presents, (there were 80 guests) but it was a bit strange and unexpected. Thoughts on this? Any other ideas on how to avoid making shower guests sit there forever hating their lives while you open gifts?? I anticipate my shower being large as well. 
    Posted by jsurmacy[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I've never seen this done.  Most people will be coming around the same time, right?  I don't see how opening them as they arrive vs towards the end cuts down on any time.  At my shower, people chatted, drank coffee, etc as I opened gifts.....they weren't sitting there watching me with undivided attention.

</div>
  • Options
    I agree that it looks like "what did you get me?"...It seems a little greedy to me...and perhaps puts MORE attention on gifts that were tinier/huger than the rest thus making people feel uncomfortable
  • Options

I think this is weird.  If you are worried that people won't have anything to do, you could make a game out of it.  I am not sure if this would work for a wedding shower, but I went to a baby shower where they handed out bingo cards and each guest filled one out with different items (bibs, bottles, books, crib, blanket etc).  Then, as the mom-to-be opened gifts, the guests sat around and X'ed out items as they came.  The host of the shower had lots of fun prizes as people yelled out "Bingo!"  People really were interested in what she was opening because of the game!

• Options
    I don't like it and have never seen this done. I would open gifts the regular way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I've never seen this and I guess I would think its odd. However, it IS dreadfully boring at showers to watch the bride open boring gift after gift. I really hope I dont t get a shower. Nice to get swag, but ugh I hat showers :)
  • Options
    If your shower is so big you can't handle present opening normally, it is too big.
  • Options
    I wish I could cut the list, but I just cannot do that. I have a very large family and the women would be highly offended if they were not invited to the shower -- I have seen this first hand. I am not inviting every woman who is coming to the wedding, but I do have around 70 plus my bridal party and I really cannot cut that list anywhere without hurting feelings. And since it is in the budget to have them all, I see no reason to start drama! I guess opening gifts will just be long, it is what it is. Thank you all for your advice!
  • Options
    I had a huge shower for similar reasons. It really helped to have H there unwrapping too. If your FI won't be there, maybe your mom or a bm could help by handing you things/taking away paper/etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    bridal BINGO is really helpful to keep people interested too.  A PP mentioned this for a baby shower & I've seen it done for both bridal & baby showers.  It helps to keep people's attention.
  • Options
    OP can you not have 2 separate showers? 70 people would bore me to tears.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_opening-gifts-as-guests-come-in-at-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:bc99b80c-5ed2-4707-bce7-aac76f92d090Post:692683f5-7948-4984-877a-df585fae1aa3">Re: Opening gifts as guests come in at shower???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish I could cut the list, but I just cannot do that. I have a very large family and the women would be highly offended if they were not invited to the shower -- I have seen this first hand. I am not inviting every woman who is coming to the wedding, but I do have around 70 plus my bridal party and I really cannot cut that list anywhere without hurting feelings. And since it is in the budget to have them all, I see no reason to start drama! I guess opening gifts will just be long, it is what it is. Thank you all for your advice!
    Posted by jsurmacy[/QUOTE]

I attended a bridal shower that had 60 guests.  It took the bride <u>2 hours</u> to open up all of her gifts because people were trying to take pictures of her with each and every gift.

A PP mentioned playing bridal bingo.  That worked for the first 15-20 minutes.  Then someone won and the game was over but we sitll had over a hour and a half left of the bride opening presents.

It was the longest and most boring shower on the face of the planet!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards