Wedding Etiquette Forum

Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here

Joy, I saw you said you wanted to talk about it, so here you go!

1) YAAAAAAAY LADIES GYMNASTICS!! I didnt get to see everything because we had a therapy session, but I totally had it on the tv and muted while we were talking.

2) Phelps. WTF Phelps. And he had a hissy fit when he saw the time, too. 

Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here

• 1 - yay!

2 - I missed it.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Well, there's always the replay!  H discovered that around 1am here, they show the American telecast for some reason, so it's all USA, all night long, but with Swedish commentary. Very strange.  I'm slightly tempted to sleep now, so I can wake up to hopefully watch the gymnastics tonight.
  • I can't believe MSN made it their breaking news story and cover photo.  Thanks for ruining it MSN ASSSSHOLES!!  But whatever.  I'll still be watching them blow it out tonight.  :)
  • Oh and I didn't see what happened with Phelps but he clearly didn't prepare and should have just left it alone after Beijing.  He is caught up in the fame and partying, not the pool.  This is what happens. 

Oh and leave the chinese swimmer alone, she's just that good.  Sometimes that just happens. 

• He just barely missed gold. By like, .05.  He was just out-touched, and he pulled off his swim cap and threw it. Super childish. My friend thinks this will incetivize him to buckle down for the next one, but I don't think that's what will happen at all. 

Honestly, I can't blame Phelps for not totally being ready to come back. The dude has spent his entire life in a pool. But he should probably have just left it.
  • I think that after Beijing Phelps considered himself untouchable thus his feeling for not having to prepare as much this time around.  Honestly I am surprised he doesn't just sink to the bottom of the pool every time he jumps in with that huge ego blown up head he has connected to his shoulders.

• Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012
    His head has definitely gotten bigger since 08.  And not all metaphorically. Or figuratively.  Whatever.

• Now, I'm not saying he doesn't have a huge ego-- I would posit that almost any athlete who has accomplished great things, is like that. BUT, the reason he stopped swimming is because he's spent his entire life training. He just wanted to live for a little bit and I don't mind that at all.
  • 1)  YAY !!!

2)  Phelps is an incredible athlete.   But there is something about him I don't like.  Can't put my figure on it, but it's there.

My cousin was Cullen Jones' swim coach in high school.  I'm pulling for him in his events.

Things I don't get - waiting until prime time to find out the results. Then getting upset when there are spoliers.    The results are all over the internet, social media, whatever.   Get over it.   

For the record,   I'm happily stalking the internet for results.    I still watch the prime time coverage to see how results came to be.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics-chat-and-spoilers-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c049572a-b603-4fef-a56c-9740f899af02Post:efe36b8b-31b3-4792-8acb-2a58f37da3c0">Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here</a>:
    [QUOTE]Now, I'm not saying he doesn't have a huge ego-- I would posit that almost any athlete who has accomplished great things, is like that. BUT, <strong>the reason he stopped swimming is because he's spent his entire life training. He just wanted to live for a little bit and I don't mind that at all.
    </strong>Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

I get that, but then why even compete this year?  Why not just quit after Beijing?  And why throw a hissy fit when you don't win a race or get the gold when you knew that you hadn't put as much hard work into your training as you had done before?

I am from Baltimore and the Phelps family is practically royalty here.  Needless to say that if Phelps doesn't win then there is something wrong with the system, not that he just wasn't prepared.  It is always someone else's fault that he lost, never his.

• He just did it on the relay.  19 medals, 15 gold.

• So pumped for the gymnasts since I'm partial to the sport.  I'm SO glad Jordyn got herself together after that huge blow the other night.  I don't think I could do that.  I'm also not an Olympian, so there's that...
  • Okay.  The boys are standing behind the medal podium for the ceremony and MP has his foot propped up on it.  Maybe it's just me but that's disrespectful.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics-chat-and-spoilers-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c049572a-b603-4fef-a56c-9740f899af02Post:3b96cc9c-4224-45db-a9ba-f2adac06eabc">Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay.  The boys are standing behind the medal podium for the ceremony and MP has his foot propped up on it.  Maybe it's just me but that's disrespectful.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

I didn't get a change to watch that, but yeah that is the kind-of stuff he does that I get annoyed about.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yeah, it was really rude.  And not just for a second and then oops, look what I was subconciously did.  It was a full on lunge with his arm propped on his thigh and he was chatting with his team mates the entire time the other two teams were getting their medals, so a good 3 minutes. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics-chat-and-spoilers-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c049572a-b603-4fef-a56c-9740f899af02Post:c144f7c5-3428-4ec5-a74c-dd438cab99f6">Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here : I get that, but then why even compete this year?  Why not just quit after Beijing?  And why throw a hissy fit when you don't win a race or get the gold when you knew that you hadn't put as much hard work into your training as you had done before? I am from Baltimore and the Phelps family is practically royalty here.  Needless to say that if Phelps doesn't win then there is something wrong with the system, not that he just wasn't prepared.  <strong>It is always someone else's fault that he lost, never his.
    </strong>Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

I can't stand Apollo Ohno for this reason. That dude rubs me the wrong way. For whatever reason I don't mind Michael Phelps. I'm super sick of Lochte though, I was doing OK until I learned he has multiple pairs of shoes with his name on the bottom so he can see his name everywhere he goes. Ew.
  • AGH!  I was in meetings all afternoon and just saw this.

I was stalking the women's gymnastics scores this afternoon.  I actually had a calculator out determining what scores they needed to beat the Russians.  I think I'll be equally crazy during the All-Around Finals.

Thanks for the thread!!!  :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics-chat-and-spoilers-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c049572a-b603-4fef-a56c-9740f899af02Post:b9e5afcb-0f86-4950-ad47-91576ed6ec7f">Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here : I can't stand Apollo Ohno for this reason. That dude rubs me the wrong way. For whatever reason I don't mind Michael Phelps. I'm super sick of Lochte though, I was doing OK until I learned he has multiple pairs of shoes with <strong>his name on the bottom so he can see his name everywhere he goes. </strong>Ew.
    Posted by lauralaur[/QUOTE]

<div>How does he manage that?</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics-chat-and-spoilers-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c049572a-b603-4fef-a56c-9740f899af02Post:dee84221-0afb-4bbe-842f-41c5118ccbfe">Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here : How does he manage that?

At the very least he said he can see it when it's raining. Seriously, that was his reasoning, that he likes seeing his name when he walks around. *eyeroll* I'm also not impressed with the way he's been swimming after he beat Phelps the other night.
  • HuckSCHuckSC member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_olympics-chat-and-spoilers-go-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c049572a-b603-4fef-a56c-9740f899af02Post:3b96cc9c-4224-45db-a9ba-f2adac06eabc">Re: Olympics chat (and SPOILERS) go here</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay.  The boys are standing behind the medal podium for the ceremony and MP has his foot propped up on it.  Maybe it's just me but that's disrespectful.

Eh Swimmers have done that in other competitions, I don't really see it as all that disrespectful. If I was getting my 19th Olympic medal, I'd be a little ansy wanting to get on that podium and would probably have my foot up there too.

I'm not the biggest Michael Phelps fan. There are some better personalities in the sport than him (Grevers, Berens, Jones, Franklin, Coughlin, etc.) but you don't get where he is if you don't expect the best of yourself. I think he was probably angry at his finish and just frustrated. He has congradulated le Clous afterwards. If you have no emotion in your actions why do it?

I was keeping up with the gymnastics on twitter and as soon as the Russians kept falling I knew the gold was going to USA.

Now I can't wait to actually watch all this tonight!

ETA: Speedo made Lochte his own shoe line. You could even buy women's flip flops with his name on the bottom. Sponsors pay the bills.
  • Oh, I understand now. I didn't know that you meant like a stamp pad to leave tracks.  I'm totally laughing at myself now but I could only picture permanent marker written on the bottoms of his shoes.  I think I've not had enough sleep due to the Olympics. =-D

• Yeah it didn't occur to me until afterward that people wouldn't know what I meant by that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards