Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

IDEAS PLEASE!!!

I am trying to get started planning my wedding. I'm not very creative which is a problem all in itself so I have know idea what im doing. I have less than a year to get it together. I know where and when I want to get married plus a few details that I want. I want to add some of our culture to the wedding such as a libation prayer and I want to add adinkra symbols to the decor. I'm totally feeling the meaning on the symbols and the libations prayer, but I'm not trying to do a traditional african wedding. I dont want to use kente clothe or anything like that. Any ideas how i can incorporate these things without going overboard?

Re: IDEAS PLEASE!!!

• Options
    There is an African American board, but I'm not sure if any of the girls over there are doing traditional african weddings or doing african-western hybrids.  You may want to ask them, though.
  • Options
    I absolutely love some of the adinkra symbols (esp the ones that look like hearts). Perhaps you could design your programs, napkins, etc to incorporate some of those symbols, and even maybe use one with your monogram and create an aisle runner with the design (check out http://roadtotheaisle.blogspot.com/2007/07/diy-aisle-runner.html). I am not as familiar with the libations prayer, but I'm sure it can be worked into the other prayers and readings that you will be using in your ceremony, or perhaps you can do it before/after your cake cutting, if you are doing that.Hope that helps a little! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards