Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Display Shower?

What is your opinion on a 'Display Shower'? I always thought it was kind of rude, but then again, I never liked opening gifts in front of people in the first place. 

And for those who don't know, a display shower is where your guests bring unwrapped gifts and you display them on a table for all to see.

EDIT: This was just an idea my MOH threw out at me. And I am not asking for gifts, sorry if it seems so.
~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~

Re: Display Shower?

• Options
    Maybe a fun idea would be to have what (in my family at least) was called a trousseau tea. Then you can display whatever gifts you've already received, and whatever you've collected yourself for your "trousseau" - even the gown etc, if your FH isn't going to be around. Then if you get your host to suggest people bring things unwrapped, they'll be able to be displayed immediately as well... I don't know.
    I personally LOVE opening presents - it's a big part of the fun for me - but maybe you could say it was an "environmentally conscious" thing, saving the paper and whatnot.
    The most important thing, I think, etiquette wise is that we (the brides) aren't supposed to ask for presents at all, so asking for gifts to be unwrapped seems a little gauche just on the face of it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_display-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c7359970-b01b-4aec-ac39-e8048574d161Post:4c9e269a-2bc7-48e9-8ba6-77fc2d0d5ab8">Re: Display Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe a fun idea would be to have what (in my family at least) was called a trousseau tea. Then you can display whatever gifts you've already received, and whatever you've collected yourself for your "trousseau" - even the gown etc, if your FH isn't going to be around. Then if you get your host to suggest people bring things unwrapped, they'll be able to be displayed immediately as well... I don't know. I personally LOVE opening presents - it's a big part of the fun for me - but maybe you could say it was an "environmentally conscious" thing, saving the paper and whatnot. The most important thing, I think, etiquette wise is that we (the brides) aren't supposed to ask for presents at all, so asking for gifts to be unwrapped seems a little gauche just on the face of it.
    Posted by Nightingalejules[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm sorry, I am not trying to be gift grabby, it was just an idea my MOH had. 

</div>
    ~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~
  • Options
    I would not do this.  I don't think it's great to tell guests how to give gifts (unwrapped, wrapped in recycled paper, etc.), and it kind of says "bring presents, but the bride cannot be bothered to unwrap them."  
  • Options
    Personally I think it depends on how many people are there.  I've been to a shower with 40 or 50 people and they didn't open gifts because it would have taken too long - it waas a work shower during our lunch hour.  I think all the guests were secretly grateful.  With 15-25 guests opening them is fine.  It will probably take 30-40 minutes.

I generally dislike the idea of having gifts come unwrapped, but it might be practical if there are too many people.  The solution, of course, is to limit the number of invitations you send out to a manageable size.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Personally, I think the idea of a display shower is dumb.  I hate showers anyways so to come to one where the point of the shower is peruse the gifts on display just sounds like hell to me.

Honeslty, if you don't like the idea of opening gifts then maybe your best bet is to decline a shower completely.  Because the entire point of a shower is to shower the bride with presents.

• Options
    I wouldnt like being told how to wrap the gift I brought. Display showers feel too industrial or something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards