North Carolina
Options

RANT - Possible the lamest excuse ever

Okay, maybe I'm overreacting here. A friend of FI's has been telling us for 3 months that she, her husband, and her child are coming to our wedding. Made a big production out of it, even. Anyway, she follows a pretty strict diet because of the child's (non-deadly) food allergy. And tends to be one of those parents who freaks about every little thing. So she sent me an e-mail telling me not to count her in the food because she'll just bring her own. Well, we never got a response card or online reply from her. We were originally just planning to count her as a yes because of everything she said before, but then she flaked on coming to our shower and so we decided to follow up. FI e-mails her and calls and FINALLY heard from her and she says now that she can't come because of the food allergy! We don't really care so much because we're not particularly close to this couple, but she is part of FI's group of friends. But I am seriously offended that she chose to use this excuse, especially since she seemed to have thought it all out before and never bothered to tell us. I'm really glad we went ahead and followed up, though.

Re: RANT - Possible the lamest excuse ever

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally do not understand why she cant bring something from home for her child to eat (that way she knows it wasnt prepared around other foods that possibly contain the item he/she is allergic to), and she and her husband eat from your menu, and still attend. That IS really lame.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    come on. this is probably a very stressful thing for her. she might need a friend if things are this difficult. you're taking this personally but she is probably just a parent trying to do the best she can.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's what she told me she was planning to do. I really don't get it. She had told me early on they'd been invited to another wedding that day but were going to come to ours. I'm thinking they may have decided to go to the other (perhaps closer, perhaps fancier?) wedding. But she's weird enough for this excuse to be true. (As in not wanting people to touch the baby if they've even possibly eaten dairy.) But tell us ahead of time and come up with a better excuse.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow yeah that's really strange.  It sounds like it will probably work out the best for everyone involved though.  She won't be super stressing over her kid during the reception and everyone else won't be getting stressed out by her stressing out ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards