Wedding Etiquette Forum

Valet parking tickets?

Hey ladies,

So we've finally signed with our venue, and we were talking about a few issues, and the coordinator mentioned that if we want to pay for our guests' valet parking (we do--there's no free parking close by), then they give us valet parking tickets that we give to our guests before the reception, then guests give the tickets to the valet when they get there.

It's not a big deal, but I found this slightly strange.  Did anyone do this?  I know I still got time to worry about things like this, but I'm just curious how this would work logistically.  Pass them out after the ceremony?

We need to return all the unused tickets because they only charge us for the ones we use.  Or else I'd say include a ticket in every invitation, regardless.

SaveSave

Re: Valet parking tickets?

• In Response to Re:Valet parking tickets?:[QUOTE]Hey ladies,So we've finally signed with our venue, and we were talking about a few issues, and the coordinator mentioned that if we want to pay for our guests' valet parking we dothere's no free parking close by, then they give us valet parking tickets that we give to our guests before the reception, then guests give the tickets to the valet when they get there.It's not a big deal, but I found this slightly strange.nbsp; Did anyone do this?nbsp; I know I still got time to worry about things like this, but I'm just curious how this would work logistically.nbsp; Pass them out after the ceremony?We need to return all the unused tickets because they only charge us for the ones we use.nbsp; Or else I'd say include a ticket in every invitation, regardless. Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

I would totally forget to being mine with me, so I'd rather take one at the ceremony. HOWEVER, some people might miss the ceremony and go straight to the reception.
    Is there any way to have the tickets at the reception place and the guests can give the bride/grooms name for a ticket or something?
  • I asked the reception venue coordinator (I don't have my own wedding coordinator) if they could do a list thing, and she said they do the tickets.  I don't know if I should push it further and insist that they do it some other way.

I don't want to ask someone to sit at the valet while guests arrive and hand out tickets.  That's a crap job, and I don't want to hire someone just for that.

If it helps, our guest list is only about 80 people.  Maybe I can just spread by word of mouth to remind people to pick up a ticket at the end of the ceremony?  For the people that might skip the ceremony, I'm not sure.  If they're willing to tell me ahead of time that they're only coming to the reception, I could just give/mail them their ticket.  Otherwise, I don't know what to do for them.

SaveSave
  • Based on your second post, I think your best bet is to have the tickets at the ceremony after spreading the word that tickets will be handed out there. This way, you can try to get tickets to those who might not make the ceremony.
  • Did you ask the coordinator how people normally handle it?  I mean, if this is the way they do it, then other people have done it, and hopefully the coordinator knows how.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_valet-parking-tickets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cb528629-67d4-4beb-ae5a-3b0f13e87f26Post:5fcb57f6-73b2-4baf-8ede-f556f9285789">Re: Valet parking tickets?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you ask the coordinator how people normally handle it?  I mean, if this is the way they do it, then other people have done it, and hopefully the coordinator knows how.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

She just said to have someone hand them out after the ceremony.  I didn't ask for details.  I suppose I could ask her if someone misses the ceremony and shows up, can they just say "Monkeysip wedding" and have the valet just make a note to charge my account.  Hopefully that won't be too many people though.

SaveSave
  • Are you having ushers or could you have a GM fill this role if you're not? We had validated parking at our ceremony and our GM/ushers just asked folks as they arrived if they needed their ticket stamped. Or at least I assume they did. This was definitely not on my radar that day :
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think handing them out after the ceremony (or before with the programs) is a good idea.  But I'm curious exactly how it works, I feel like most places I've parked you take the normal ticket like everyone else, but then when you're leaving you give the special ticket that means you're already paid.  If they don't need the ticket to get IN and just need it to get out I'd probably just put a stack by the guestbook or on the bar or something.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_valet-parking-tickets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cb528629-67d4-4beb-ae5a-3b0f13e87f26Post:013f23eb-e48d-435b-a58e-ea498582e5f6">Re: Valet parking tickets?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think handing them out after the ceremony (or before with the programs) is a good idea.  But I'm curious exactly how it works, I feel like most places I've parked you take the normal ticket like everyone else, but then when you're leaving you give the special ticket that means you're already paid.  If they don't need the ticket to get IN and just need it to get out I'd probably just put a stack by the guestbook or on the bar or something.
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... now you have me wondering.  I swore that the coordinator said they needed them <em>before</em> the reception, but I agree it would make more sense for them to have them to get out (normally you pay a valet at the end, right?).  I'll have to double check to make sure I can't just have them when guests leave the reception, since that obviously would make more sense.

Well, like I said, I got plenty of time to hammer this out.

SaveSave
  • We are doing this and were advised to print the information on signs and place near the bar and place card table as a reminder get their voucher from our coodinators.  The valets at the hotel are also alerted to the fact valet is complimentary to our guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards