Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Hair

So I have finally picked out what I would like my hair to look like on my wedding day.  A few bridesmaids want their hair down as well which is not a problem with me but am I allowed to show them and say in a nicer way than this:  This is the way I am going to get my hair done you are more then welcome to get whatever style you want done as long as it is not too similar to mine.  Is there a nice way to say that?  I just don't want on of my bridesmaids to have the same hair style as I will have.

pretty hair - maybe this with the veil that attaches about half way down...

Re: Wedding Hair

• Options
    I don't really think there's a polite way to tell them "you can't do your hair like this because I am" without coming off bridezilla-y. I would definitely show your BMs the picture though and tell them this is how you'll be doing your hair. Even if someone else has their hair half up/half down no one will mistake them for the bride. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    No, there's no way to say that nicely. What difference does it make what style they wear their hair in? 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-hair-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cd99a369-dd6f-4e85-b89e-d197890f6ee7Post:67bb1a56-4da3-4595-92ec-421a6053d78e">Wedding Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I have finally picked out what I would like my hair to look like on my wedding day.  A few bridesmaids want their hair down as well which is not a problem with me but am I allowed to show them and say in a nicer way than this:  This is the way I am going to get my hair done you are more then welcome to get whatever style you want done as long as it is not too similar to mine.  Is there a nice way to say that?  I just don't want on of my bridesmaids to have the same hair style as I will have.
    Posted by Love11506[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>LOL... I kind of had this conversation with my MOH.... She was like I think I want to have my hair down to the side... I was like.... I'd prefer if youre hair wasn't the same as mine.</div><div>
    </div><div>We got over it quickly as her ideas and my ideas were different. Although, I'm still not entirely sure how I want to do my hair.</div><div>
    </div><div>I say show them the picture and tell them this is what you're doing. Hopefully they will stay away from "copying".

</div>
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I highly doubt that they will have that intricate of a style, but as PP's said, there is no nice way to tell them all this. Can you talk to each one individually? It'll be easier to mention this one-on-one in like a "Look at my trial pic! Yay! What are your ideas for your hair? I think it would be soo pretty if you did xyz!"
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Wait, you have 7 months? Don't even bring it up yet. Bring it up like the month or two before if you do...
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I thought this. I'm having my hair done low and on the side. My sister asked if I had any ideas for the BM hair and I said "whatever, as long as it's not on the side" and it turns out that's what she was thinking about. So I thought about it for less than a minute, and I decided not one person at the wedding will remember the next day what my hair looked like, let alone the bridesmaids. They are also paying for their own hair, so honestly they could dye it blue and shave the sides for all I care. I want them to feel lovely. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-hair-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cd99a369-dd6f-4e85-b89e-d197890f6ee7Post:8b29600b-3b09-48c5-add9-4d722ef2ffc0">Re: Wedding Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought this. I'm having my hair done low and on the side. My sister asked if I had any ideas for the BM hair and I said "whatever, as long as it's not on the side" and it turns out that's what she was thinking about. <strong>So I thought about it for less than a minute, and I decided not one person at the wedding will remember the next day what my hair looked like, let alone the bridesmaids.</strong> They are also paying for their own hair, so honestly they could dye it blue and shave the sides for all I care. I want them to feel lovely. 
    Posted by bridalmarch[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly. </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I don't care if they have it half up half down I just don't want it exactly the same!  And I asked because two of my bridesmaids keep showing me pictures of how they want their hair to be and I don't want them to fall in-love with the one I'm in love with!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-hair-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cd99a369-dd6f-4e85-b89e-d197890f6ee7Post:fb119580-3484-4ce4-a55e-261e8d663840">Re: Wedding Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't care if they have it half up half down I just don't want it exactly the same!  And I asked because two of my bridesmaids keep showing me pictures of how they want their hair to be and I don't want them to fall in-love with the one I'm in love with!
    Posted by Love11506[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, are they showing you the same picture you have? If not then you don't have anything to worry about. I doubt that your BMs will have that intricate weaving for their hairstyles, but also it's on the back of your head so no one is really going to see it even if they do.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    Also, OP, I've found that even when I have my hair styled to intentionally match it never looks the same as others.  Each person has different hair that will take differently to the style (ie: my hair holds a curl really well while my sister's doesnt).  Plus, even if they same stylist does their hair, he/she wont be able to perfectly, identically recreate it on anyone else.

I think you are WAY overthinking hairstyles, especially when you are 7 months out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Really pretty!! I informed my bridesmaids to wear any updo....totally different from what im doing....i don't think they'll copy u esp if they know that's your hairstyle, and even if they do....believe me honey, no one will upstage you that day...
    ****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown
  • Options
    I hate when I get told how I have to wear my hair when I'm a bridemaid. Who cares how everyone wears their hair? Wearing my hair totally up is uncomfortable for me just as being told to wear it completely down in the middle of July is uncomfortable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ok i didn't tell them they couldn't wear their hair down or up....

And thanks for the advice girls!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-hair-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cd99a369-dd6f-4e85-b89e-d197890f6ee7Post:43cd0bc9-8613-44dd-b145-955d8ae839a4">Re: Wedding Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok i didn't tell them they couldn't wear their hair down or up.... And thanks for the advice girls!
    Posted by Love11506[/QUOTE]

Yes, but limiting them from a certain style just because it may be similar to yours is still telling them how to wear their hair.

Honestly, if a BM and a bride had the same exact hairstyle I probably wouldn't even notice because everyone has different hair (color, texture, length, etc) so even if the styles are the same the look never is and well one is wearing a white gown while the other isn't so that alone will make the whole look different.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards