Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Hair coloring didn't work

I went to a salon yesterday and had my hair colored for the first time at a new salon (I just moved to St. Louis). I was feeling gutsy so I requested to have my hair dyed ombre, and I said I was looking for something somewhat subtle. My hair is light brown and I requested a gold-ish hue. The salon owner was the one work on my hair, and she did her thing and then washed the dye out, then blew it dry and... nothing. It didn't look any different. I thought maybe it would be more obvious when I was outside, in the light, but still - it looks no different from before. I spent a good amount of money on this and I'm feeling rather cheated.

Now it's a day later and I'm feeling pretty disappointed, as I was looking forward to a change and this was a splurge for me. Is it within my rights to go back and ask to have it re-done so I can see it this time? Will this be insulting to my hairdresser? And do some types of hair not "absorb" dyes or something? I'm perplexed.

Re: NWR: Hair coloring didn't work

• Options
    Most hair salons would want you to come back and request to have it fixed rather than write nasty reviews on yelp. Some hair types do absorb color differently than others, but they should have noticed this when they washed it out. I must say, though, sometimes when you say natural, they really try to have it remain natural. You might not see much of a difference, but it's possible they gave you what they believe you wanted. The first time I got highlights (at age 12), you really couldn't tell unless there was some serious light up close. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Did you express your un-happiness while you were at the salon? I've gotten a dye job I didn't love before and told my stylist while I was there and she fixed it... I've never gone back afterward tho...

It may insult her, but at the same time, you paid for a servce and you're unhappy with it. As a profesional she should have been able to say "this color wont take in your hair"...
  • Options
    This happened to me too-I dyed my hair ombre last August, and told him I wanted it somewhat subtle (since I didn't want some crazy half brown half blonde hair), and I could barely tell the difference.  I think you can go back and request that it be more dramatic, but I also think that you requested subtle, and that's what you got.  You'd be more disappointed if it was two-toned skunk style brown+blonde right?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-hair-coloring-didnt-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d3039381-2e37-4809-933a-752018abbb5fPost:eb783680-a930-4b7a-9a8d-ed53f90e3df2">Re: NWR: Hair coloring didn't work</a>:
    [QUOTE]This happened to me too-I dyed my hair ombre last August, and told him I wanted it somewhat subtle (since I didn't want some crazy half brown half blonde hair), and I could barely tell the difference.  I think you can go back and request that it be more dramatic, but I also think that you requested subtle, and that's what you got.  You'd be more disappointed if it was two-toned skunk style brown+blonde right?
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

<div>This is very true. Unfortunately, there is literally no difference. I have long hair and if I hold the tips of my hair up to my roots, the color is exactly the same. I'm so disappointed!</div>
  • Options
    Definitely go back!  My stylist had to redo part of my highlights once and did so a few days later (issue was noticed  more in the daylight, highlights were originally done at night).  He told me he always wanted his clients to be happy and fixed with no complaint ASAP.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go back. If you didn't like it/didn't notice a difference at the salon, it's rude to go back. You should have said something before you left the salon. Then it would have been appropriate for her to do something different.
  • Options
    I say give them a call and go back. Hair always looks different in the salon than at home. Call them up this morning and tell them that you wanted to give it 24 hours to see if it lightened up after you washed it at home. Contrarty to emricmacy sacys, it ISN'T rude to go back, it's more rude to write a bad review and not ask them to address it. People do it with haircuts, colors, and even permanent waves - if they don't like it they call and get it fixed.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards