Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

ceremony music question

this board is busier than ceremony ideas.

I want music for walking down the aisle.  But we are not getting married in a church.. we are getting married in the reception hall.  The DJ wont be there yet (the ceremony is at 2pm, reception to start at 6ish)
what are my options? I dont want to spend more money on musicians, and I would rather have CDs, etc.  If I got my DJ to come early - how much more would he charge (guesses?) and what if I used an ipod with the ipod speakers -- loud enough?

Re: ceremony music question

• Options
    With something as important as making a grand entrance into your wedding ceremony, I would pay the extra money to let a professional DJ handle it. To keep our DJ playing an extra hour it was 200 dollars which is probably less than an hour of cocktail musicians which is the same area ranged from 300-1600 dollars. (Adjust these figures for what is norm in your area). The last thing you want right before you walk down the aisle is to be stressed over something handling technological difficulties like shipping cds of ipod sound issues.
  • Options
    I'd either hire ceremony musicians or talk to your dj about extending time.  
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I may be biased, but I think live musicians make a HUGE difference.  You could even see if a local college has students that would play for a discounted rate.

Btw, why the huge gap if you're getting married in the same place?

As much as I hate gaps, I can somewhat understand them with a church.  Why the hell are you going to have a 4 hour gap for no reason?  What are you providing your guests to do?
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Good catch Sucrets! Always on top of your game there lady.

So yeah OP? What the heck is with the gap? 4 hours is crazy to ask people to leave the same place, find something to do, and then return for the reception. As Sucrets said, a church gap sometimes can't be avoided, but this?
  • Options
    We paid an extra $225 for our DJ to be there early for our short outdoor ceremony. $150 of that was for the portable equipment rental and $75 was for his services for 30 extra minutes.

It's worth it to have a pro handle the ceremony music, be it a DJ or live musicians.

PS - Sucrets, get out of my head. I wanted to know about the gap too!
  • Options
    I know you said you didn't want to spend the extra money on musicians, and I can understand why, it's not cheap.

I had a violinist and a cellist, they were wonderful. I found them on craigslist for $100 a piece. They were both students at a local music school and had references. Worth every single penny.
  • Options
    gg - I love your pretty little head!

• Options
    20 minutes and no gap explanation? Odd. I thought we were the board that brought the busy.
  • Options
    I have a feeling we were just used.  *sad face*

• Options
    My assumption would be that if you asked the DJ to come that much earlier, you'd be paying a lot for it, as they would  just be waiting for several hours between the ceremony and reception - it 's not like he can really go anywhere and come back for the reception later. That said, I 've never worked with a DJ.

I'm curious about the gap as well..?
    You could hire some local musicians - some of my students get hired out all the time - they're good (most of them, anyway) and are excited just to perform, so they don't expect much money.  Are there high schools, colleges,community groups, etc., that you could contact to hire musicians for cheaper?  I think this might be cheaper than asking the DJ to come that many hours early, if you're really set on having that gap in time.

If you do choose the pre-recorded route, I would ask a trusted friend to do this.  Granted, I'm a music/theater junkie, but I have yet to attend an event where pre-recorded music (that wasn't handled by someone with experience) didn't result in awkward pauses, volume issues, and just altogether bad timing.  I'm sure it can be done, but I haven't heard it yet. 
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Also, according to AFSB, RKTO is a train wreck.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    Do tell more, Night.
  • Options
    oh FFS... and I went and answered this question all nicely and everything to.

• Options
    Sorry to stomp on your heart, M&M.
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    well, I guess I am a train wreck...thanks for taking the time to form your own opinions of someone.

The gap is because we want to do photos.  we havent finalized the timeline yet.. probably it will be closer to 2 hour gap.
    DUring this time, our guests can check into the hotel, sight see in the city, get a drink at the hotel bar... that is up to them.

I am not sure if ceremony musicians will play the songs I want.  But again, we havent really figured out much.
  • Options
    I'd say figure out your timeline first, then you and the DJ can get a better idea of how do-able this is.  If he's going to charge a lot to come early and then sit around until the reception, you may want to explore other options.  The iPod idea might work if you're against live musicians, but make sure you have someone running it who knows what they're doing... I'd try it out in the venue to see how it sounds in there before you made a decision.  Remember it will also be playing over general crowd noise (or even a crying baby unless they are outlawed...) and though it sounds weird, all those people in the room will be a sound absorber, so it may sound softer in that atmosphere.
  • Options
    Why not do pics beforehand and spare your guests 4 hours to kill?

• Options

3 hours of pictures, presuming your non-church wedding last an hour?! Seriously? You expect your guests to come to the ceremony and reception location, watch you get married, and then entertain themselves for the best part of 4 hours while you do pictures? 

In any case, unless your photog is completely hopeless, you're way overestimating the time that photos will take, and inconveniencing your guests unnecessarily if you do end up sticking with that timeframe. I'd rethink, if I were you. 

As for the music, I guess it depends what you want, and if there's anyone not in the bridal party who has offered to help that could potentially press play and pause on the track you want played. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ceremony-music-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d43f6ab0-91eb-44bf-9b3b-2d1b6d8d1603Post:99298a56-f17f-446b-abfa-95ab60570edc">Re: ceremony music question</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/27085387.aspx" rel="nofollow">http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/27085387.aspx</a> Cross your fingers that worked.
    Posted by Night_Sprite[/QUOTE]
    So THIS Is where Jens has been hiding!
  • Options

(and Buddha, too?! Caribbean Nesties, really?).

I am so confused by every other board. I am destined to stay on P&E forever. 

• Options
    Um, yeah, everyone wants photos. FI and I are doing photos elsewhere at 2pm and THEN having a ceremony at 6 so we don't inconvenience our guests.

Have you never heard of a cocktail hour? You can do all your family photos before the ceremony, then do wedding party photos while your guests go to cocktail hour. They have refreshments and wait for you to arrive and eat dinner. It last about an HOUR. Not four.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards