North Carolina
Options

When do I officially get my new last name?

I'm getting married on Saturday. My fi's not a citizen, and I'm trying to get a head start on some official immigration paperwork we need to do in connection with our wedding. I'm planning to drop off my signed marriage license on Monday (assuming our officiant lets us take it) at the Wake ROD office. I could go to the Social Security office after that, I guess. My question is, when do I officially get the new last name? Is it when I go to the SS office or at some other point in the near future? I'd like to go ahead and get this immigration paperwork done early next week, but I have no idea how to fill out my name on it.

Re: When do I officially get my new last name?

• Options
    MrsMeMoMrsMeMo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't officially become Mrs.Hislast until you go to the social security office and change your last name there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP #2 [4.27.11] EDD [01.07.12] It's a BOY! BFP #1 EDD (10.15.11) M/C @ 6w5d Pregnancy Announcement Video Sex Announcement Video
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    But it's when I go to the office? Not at some unspecified point in the future when they take some action?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I went to the SS office and turned in my application for a new SS card, they gave me a letter stating that I had applied for a new card since the cards aren't issued same day. That letter and a copy of my marriage license was what I needed for the DMV to change my name on my DL. So I would say yes, the day you go to the SS office you "officially" have your new last name even though your card won't show up for another week or so.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, whatever day you go to the SS office & chang it is the date your name legally changes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Side note: You are not required to change your name as part of the marriage process. You're legally married after the completed license has been submitted & recorded. You could do the paperwork before or after changing your name, though I'm guessing you just want to change it ASAP for consistency through the whole immigration process for your DH (which is totally understandable).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards