North Carolina
Options

Tool for cropping stuff??

Ugh, ok so I am attempting my very first DIY project (programs), I am trying to cut some edges and borders off of the linen paper I got, because I'm putting that paper inside folded cardstock as the outside cover... I purchased an Exacto-knife to do this, but the edges are coming out all rough and sloppy looking!!! I'm just not getting a clean cut. I know some of you used some special tools, I remember something to the effect of a guillotine something or other, but cant recall specifics... what did you all use?? TIA!!

Re: Tool for cropping stuff??

• Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of the girls on here used guillotine paper trimmers. There's also a slider kind that is usually cheaper. I'm still trying to decide which will be best for my projects.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Perfecting the use of an X-acto takes time & patience, which you probably don't have right now ;) You need a metal ruler to use a straight edge & apply the right amount of pressure. If you go too lightly, it will just tear the paper instead of cutting it. I used a sliding paper cutter & didn't have any issues with it tearing the paper. Actually, if you want mine you can have it :) Though I'm not sure how I'd get it you right now.
  • Options
    LVCKLVCK member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it sorta depends how many you want to cut at one time. I have a slider that I used for my STDs. It's also great for cutting photos which is why I got it to begin with. When I do my programs, I'll probably want the guillotine, just b/c I'll be using so much more paper... do you remember from when you were in school those huge scary-looking things with the big arm and grid? Yeah, it's one of those. Looks like it could cut your arm off. They're much more expensive, but you can cut more than 2-3 sheets at a time, unlike the sliders. HTH!
  • Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a sliding paper cutter from AC Moore and it has been used on all of my DIY projects and has been wonderful. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want to buy one I'd say just go to a printing place like Kinkos and cut it there.  Do you have one of the sliding or guillotine cutters in your office?
  • Options
    swimher14swimher14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have the guillotine one that I've used for all my projects, I didn't get a fancy one, I think it was around $20, but it has gotten the job done.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have both kinds of cutters and prefer the sliding one.  It cuts so much easier.  you can use mine but I don't think i'd be able to get it to you until after the 4th.
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    just fyi- the copy & print center in Staples stores will cut for $2 a cut. ex- if you needed a piece of paper cut in half it'd be $2, if you needed it in thirds, it'd be $4 etc. and their machine can cut through almost 2 reams of paper at once. I'm going this route because I figured I would pay $20 for a slide cutter & would probably have to replace the blade a couple times after making all the cuts I need.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I use the slider to cut all the photos I print.  It works great cutting through multiple layers of photo paper at a time.  You can get them at a craft store for like $10.  It been a life saver for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We do have a gigantic paper cutter at work, it's just so big and bulky to use when you're trying to trim 1/4 inch off the end of the paper :( It gets hard to line everything up to make sure it's straight. Im going to head over to ACMoore to try to get one of the sliding paper cutters you all are talking about ;) I found a 40% off coupon, sweet!
  • Options
    birdcagebridebirdcagebride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I started using a slider cutter and it was so frustrating because for SOME reason the lines STILL weren't coming out straight...so I bought a guillotine cutter at AC Moore with a 50% off coupon and everything came out great!!! and it was much faster too!
    My Blog - My Bio - NC Bride Bio - Pro Video

Photo by Evoke Photography
    image imageimageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards