Wedding Etiquette Forum

Alcohol

OK, so I've read quite a few posts/replies on this topic on this board in the past, but I really think this situation is a little different, so I'd be intersted in opinions.

The fact is, FI met most of his groomsmen, and most of his friends, in AA. Since we are a little bit older, I don't think it's any secret that we're paying for the wedding, and I just don't feel comfortable with him providing alcohol. 

My family has no problem with this because none of them drink. FI's family is now asking us to reconsider, saying they'll even pay for the alcohol. But doesn't that put him in an odd position - to either acknowledge publicly that he's toasting with apple juice (thereby giving up his anonymity), or not acknowledge and let his AA friends think he's drinking champagne?

I have so far put my foot down and said absolutely no alcohol. I don't understand why the very people who had to stage an intervention and attend meetings with him now wants to introduce this in our wedding. There will be a bar in the same building that is open at least through half of the reception.

I want to know what other people think about this.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards