Wedding Etiquette Forum

Absinthe anyone?

So I'm a little buzzed, but no green faeries yet. Has anyone ever tried it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Absinthe anyone?

• Yeah because tripping out is totes my favorite past time. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have! Good times from what I remember. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pinot - I don't know if anyone has covered this yet, but your sig pic is really effing creepy looking. 
  • Hahaha no surprisingly it hasn't.  Now that I'm KUI, it is totally creepy
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can't get past the smell.
  • Hahaha! DH said the same thing! He hates black licorice.
  • But I'm a little disappointed. It's better as a shot I think.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_absinthe-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:db649277-71d4-4a3a-903b-935e663ef74fPost:18d42901-7f32-41bb-a30a-4af7d11ddcd3">Re: Absinthe anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]But I'm a little disappointed. It's better as a shot I think.
    Posted by Pumpkin_Princess[/QUOTE]

Years ago my friend brought a small bottle home from Spain and we all did a shot.  It was pretty rough going down, I couldn't do it now
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it's comparable to Wild Turkey. I kinda like it, but I couldn't drink it all night long. I imported it from France as a Christmas gift for DH.
  • One of my friends loves it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_absinthe-anyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:db649277-71d4-4a3a-903b-935e663ef74fPost:e7e6f0cf-541a-4c9c-8591-c6d945a33096">Re: Absinthe anyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hahaha no surprisingly it hasn't.  Now that I'm KUI, it is totally creepy
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]

<div>So am I. Maybe that's why it's creeping me out so much. :)</div>
  • I have never had it :(
    Photobucket
  • Me neither, shelly.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I tried it once when I was in Prague, and it was revolting. It looked like Windex, and I'm fairly sure it tasted like it too. It didn't trip me out, but gave me a nasty headache. Gross.
  • Are you seeing fairies yet? I didn't see anything, just the typical drunk double vision nonsense (not too far off from tonight actually)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Always wanted to try it. Almost ordered it online a few years ago w/ my ex, but we never did.

Sorry to steal your absinthe tipsy thunder. ::points up:: That's what I get for not reading first.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Gone too Soon.
  • I have. I thought it tasted bad....I wish they had given me extra sugar cubes. Maybe then I could have stomached it.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Mmmm, sugar cubes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Gone too Soon.
  • Im pretty sure youre not supposed to see actual faries, you know that right? Its just called the green fairy because of the supposed hallucinogenic after effects.
  • Yep, know that. But the on;y thing I  feel right now is SoCo....
  • The green fairy is actually what you see when the water starts dripping over the sugar cube into the absinthe.  There is an almost iridescent green line that forms over the absinthe and that's the fairy.

Also, it was pretty hallucinogenic because of the people making it in their backyard stills.

be sure that you like black licorice because that's what it tastes like.  The stuff we have is pretty good (again if you like black licorice).  It made my tongue numb...
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• The absinthe that is now legal and distributed in the US does not contain wormwood which is the hallucinogenic ingredient.  I have had it at a couple restaurants here where they bring the absinthe cart over and do the whole sugar cube thing.  But it is nasty and more of a novelty.

I had one shot in Amsterdam, but only one because I was with my daughter.  I had a nice mellow buzz and it felt really good when I washed my face before bed.  Like I didn't want to stop.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can buy absinthe nowadays in the US (not sure about Canada) as along as it contains less than 10 PPM of thujone.  This in essence legalizes most absinthes, including the high end  Pernod Fils.  In high doses, thujone can be very bad for you, but high levels of this can only be found in cheap versions of absinthe or the homemade versions (like I mentioned). 

We have a pretty high end one here at home and all this talk has made me think that I may mix one up. 

Here's a fun site if you are interested:  http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards