Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Should I rethink my choices? (longish)

From what I’ve gathered from reading other threads, you ladies won’t hesitate to give it to me straight. I am in need of an etiquette reality check. Keep in mind that this is a second wedding for an older couple (I’m in my 40s, he’s in his 50s).

We are planning a private ceremony with only the two of us, his daughter, and my son in attendance. We are also hosting a party the same evening for about 100 guests with dinner, open bar, and a live band. I have become aware, from reading previous threads, that we may be in dangerous waters as far as etiquette is concerned. I thought I’d stop in here and brave your comments in the hope of minimizing any of the mistakes I’ve made so far. My intention is to celebrate our wedding by providing a fun evening for our loved ones. Please let me know which of these issues (if any) I should be freaking out about. Thank you!

Possible etiquette issues:

1-      Calling the party a “reception”. Invitations are already printed and ready to go out in November.

2-      On the registry page of our website I wrote “We honestly do not need a single thing. Gifts are not necessary. All we're hoping for is a chance to celebrate our wedding day with the people we care about most (you!)”  Directly above the quote there is a link to a small registry of small ($5-$25) kitchen items for people who still want to buy us something. The only place I mentioned our website on STDs.

3-      This one should probably be a separate post, but I’ll try to keep it short. One of my nieces (who is very important to me) and one of my uncles and his family (who are not important to me) have been fighting for about 5 years. I have been informed by my sister that my niece will not attend if this uncle and family are invited. I am planning to invite all 12 of my aunts and uncles, and can’t imagine a graceful way to exclude just one. I’m hoping both niece and uncle will attend and at least tolerate each other, but would hate to have him there at the expense of not seeing my niece.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards