Wedding Etiquette Forum

Gifts at a destination wedding

Is there a tactful way to discourage guests from bringing large gifts to the wedding? We are having a destination wedding (within the country) and would possibly have to ship gifts home if they take too much space. I will have a registery (not mentioned in the invitation) with smaller sized gifts at different price points. 

EDIT:

A big portion of the guests are driving, but not necessarily from where I live. I am hoping they would think about that. People arecoming from 5 different provinces for my wedding, so it's hard to gauge what they will do.

Re: Gifts at a destination wedding

• Yes I think with all the baggage restrictions nobody will want to bring any large gifts!  People will likely give you a card with a gift card or cash gift, or have the gift shipped rather than transporting it.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • I wouldn't mention it. You could tell friends/WP/family to remind people, if others bring up gifts, that the wedding is a DW and it could be difficult to get gifts home. Like edie said, I would *think* people would think of this, but worst case scenario, you have to ship a few things home, or maybe some people (maybe if anyone drives vs flies?) could take them back for you?
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • My guess is that guests won't want to haul a gift on a plane (and possibly through customs) to a DW.  No need to tell them not to.
    Photobucket
  • You cannot control what people give you or how they give it to you (ship it to your home, bring it to the wedding, etc.).  You can put your home address as your shipping address on the registry, to hint that you prefer gifts be shipped.  It's generally not the best etiquette to bring boxed gifts to weddings--shipping is preferred.  Plus, I think people will figure it out with the destination bit.  I woudln't worry about it for now, just plan to bring an extra suitcase or know that you might need to ship a few things.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gifts-destination-wedding-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ddd443db-fee2-4136-8a6b-d5aafc618fcfPost:e88f0b77-5d29-4ffe-a936-ff40b5fe423c">Re: Gifts at a destination wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]You cannot control what people give you or how they give it to you (ship it to your home, bring it to the wedding, etc.).  You <strong>can put your home address as your shipping address on the registry,</strong> to hint that you prefer gifts be shipped.  It's generally not the best etiquette to bring boxed gifts to weddings--shipping is preferred.  Plus, I think people will figure it out with the destination bit.  I woudln't worry about it for now, just plan to bring an extra suitcase or know that you might need to ship a few things.  
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

This.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• edited January 2012
    If you really want to discourage it, have your mother or MOH of whoever gets asked about registry info, to let them know the info they request, but if they are buying a larger gift or whatever to please have it shipped directly to your house (or trusting neighbor of friend) if you aren't going to be there.

ETA: I went to a wedding last year in PA, where the couple was living in TX. Everyone knew they were traveling and the gift table looked like a baby shower with so many presents. I couldn't believe it, but some people just don't even think about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards