Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

hostess gift for Christmas Party.

One of my closest friends (one of my BMs) just invited my fiance and I to her mom's annual Christmas party in two weeks. Apparently it is a really fancy affair. We will be getting dressed up and food and drinks will be provided. I'm really excited since I don't think we will be making it to his company Christmas party this year.

I've never met her mom.

I feel like I should bring something to the party as a gift for the hostess? Is this necessary and if so any ideas on what to bring?

Re: hostess gift for Christmas Party.

• Options

You can never go wrong with a good bottle of wine.

You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    Orchids can be a nice gift. They last forever and you can find them pretty cheap.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with the wine idea. But I love wine...
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    While I usually would bring a bottle of wine as a hostess gift during most of the year, I really like to bring a bottle of champagne during the holiday season. I figure the hostess can use it to celebrate the new year or use it for other events or get togethers they may be hosting during the holiday season. Bubbly always seems more festive to me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I always take flowers or wine because everyone seems to like those.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hostess-gift-for-christmas-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e2853cdb-de3a-45ff-901d-ad8293c5dfb4Post:7e901d58-0e6c-4366-8959-3ba7f41864dd">Re: hostess gift for Christmas Party.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Find out if they drink first.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

The party is open bar all night. IAnd 've already been informed that they drink. lol
  • Options
    I would send flowers the next day as a thank you.  If you bring flowers to the party, get a potted plant or flowers already in a vase so the hostess doesn't have to stop what she is doing to put flowers in a vase. 

If you want to bring something to the party, I like the idea of wine, I wouldn't do bubbly unless you can pick a good one (I feel like cheap champagne is not a good gift, whereas it's widely known that there are decent cheap wines), or you could get a set of fancy olive oils or something like that.
  • Options
    I always do wine. And I looooooove getting wine.
  • Options
    I second the nice Christmas ornament suggestion or a nice holiday decoration. Maybe a nice wreath? or if they use an advent calendar?
  • Options
    Or you could get them something from these people.

http://www.santaspen.net

super cute stuff!
  • Options

You said it is a fancy party, but is it a formal dinner party?  In that case no hostess gift is required.  If not, I would say to bring one.

A Christmas spin on flowers could be poinsettias, though do not give these if there are young children or pets in the house, as they can be poisonous if ingested. 

You could also give a Christmas music collection or perhaps a little known Christmas movie like Shop Around the Corner.  Gourmet hot chocolate would be also great idea.

Please let us know what you decide and have a wonderful time at the party.

Merry Christmas!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards