North Carolina
Options

Sand Ceremony

Morning Y'all!  I keep seeing alot of people incorporating a "sand ceremony" into their big day.  We are not an overly religious couple, and I am curious if this type of ceremony would be better for us.  Can anyone explain exactly what it is and any thoughts on if it is a good idea for couples like us?

Re: Sand Ceremony

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Basically you and the groom have a thing with a different color sand in it and you both pour it into a bigger container at the same time to symbolize coming together.  So like a unity candle thing but with sand.Personally I think it's cheesy but for others I guess it's good symbolism they want to incorporate.
  • Options
    allie76allie76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is not a religious ceremony unless you make it (i.e. some people have the minister put white sand down first to represent the church or God). I'm doing the sand ceremony as a way to incorporate my two soon-to-be step-sons into the ceremony. There will be four different colors, one for each of us, that we will pour into a container I bought. Plus, FI likes being able to keep that in our home as a reminder.  
    TTC since Sept 2009 with PCOS. 3 failed Clomid cycles; 3 failed IUI's; 1 failed injectable + TI cycle. Surprise BFP on 1/22/12 while waiting to start IVF! EDD 9/30/12.
    Missed m/c discovered 2/20/12 (8w1d). D&C 2/23/12
    Photobucket [img]http://i54.tinypic.com/zsk41e.jpg[/img]

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a sand ceremony kit for back-up for us as well. We would rather do the unity candle ceremony, but if it is too windy at our outdoor ceremony we will have to do the sand. I personally don't think either ceremony is very religious, it is just symbolizing you and your FI coming together as one.
  • Options
    birdcagebridebirdcagebride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have our sand ceremony wording on my blog under the label "ceremony". Some people may think it's cheesy but we loved ours and I really loved the words that went with it. Very meaningful for us.
    My Blog - My Bio - NC Bride Bio - Pro Video

Photo by Evoke Photography
    image imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did a rose ceremony that is similar to the sand ceremony, but not as many people do it. It was really nice and lots of our guests commented on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did a sand ceremony as well and it added a beautiful and sentimental touch. The officiant performed the sand ceremony after we kissed and danced back down our beach aisle. The vase with our combined sand is a wonderful keepsake that always elicits a smile (and those good memories). Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The sand ceremony comes from old indian tradition. We are actually sticking to the old traditional ways (sorta) opposed to using colored sand. The two colors represent the joining of the two families/tribes through this marriage. In tradition, each family would take a sample of their land/sand and put in a container to be mixed during their ceremony. We have opted out of using the colored sand to use the actual sand under our feet at the spot where we are getting married. My family is part indian so I wanted to stick as close to real tradition as possible. My grandma is thrilled that I am even doing this bc no one has done it in our family since her wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards