Wedding Etiquette Forum

Maid & Matron of Honor - who stands next to Bride?

I chose my two BFs to be maid of honor and matron of honor. I love them both so much and don't want to hurt either one's feelings when choosing who stands next to me. Is there not a black and white answer on who stands next to the bride out of the two?

Re: Maid & Matron of Honor - who stands next to Bride?

• From what I know, there's really not.

The last wedding I saw with one had the Maid first then the Matron. They were both her sisters though.
  • Who is going to be the witness on your marriage license...the maid or the matron?

If so, realistically speaking, I'd say that's the person to stand first in line.

Otherwise, I don't think it would matter.
  • I had two maids of honor. One of them called me up the day after I asked her to be a maid honor, demanding to know who was going to stand next me during the wedding. Mind you, this was also a little more than a year away from the wedding. All I could say at the time was that I had no idea and politely tried to end the conversation. 

In the end, I just chose her to stand next to me because it mattered to her, and didn't really matter to my other maid of honor. If both of them were going to fight about who did what, I was going to have them "Rock Paper Scissor" for it. But as far as I know, it doesn't really make a difference. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My sister had a maid and matron of honor, and I (matron) stood next to her rather than the maid. I don't think there was any particular reason other than the fact that I was her sister, but I would just go with how I've known the longest. Thats the order my BM's were in and none of them felt slighted by that.
  • Traditionally, the maid is next to the bride. The maid isn't married so they don't have other 'responsibilities' at the wedding. I had to look this up because I am having both a MaidOH and a MatronOH.

• Here's a good story for all of you.

My sister chose both me and my other sister. At the rehearsal, she was told by the church that she could only have ONE on the altar with her which basically forced her to choose on the spot who was the "real" maid of honor....

Moral of the story....check with church so you aren't put in this awkward position the day before your wedding. Our church only had so many kneelers that could go on altar so she had to choose...at least, that is what the church told us....With some complaining the morning of the wedding day by my mother, they "suddenly" had another kneeler so both could be up with my sister...

The hurt feelings had already occurred, though........as she was forced to "choose"

• Thanks everyone! It's outdoors (not a church) and neither have offered to do a toast. We actually had a civil ceremony (for insurance purposes, I know - oh so romantic) so no one will need to act as a witness and sign. I think at his point I'll have the Maid of Honor next to me but now I am wondering how to line up all the BMs. By height to be most fair?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards