Wedding Etiquette Forum

Feeling insecure about beer and wine option

With the recent cash only/beer wine posting, I'm feeling a bit insecure about my option and would like to hear how other people feel about it.

We're getting married at a vineyard and a full bar is not an option. They can only serve beer, wine and sparkling that they make. That being said, we are hosting open bar - the entire time- with those options (and they are amazing! with several types of each beer, white and red)

Reading people's previous posts about how they'd rather have hard liquor option, am I rude for not being able to provide it? Does this seem cheap? Will this actually cross anybody's mind, or will they assume that the venue's license doesn't cover hard liquor?

Re: Feeling insecure about beer and wine option

• I'd be fine with this.
  • No, I don't think it's rude or cheap. Especially since your venue doesn't have a liquor license. I'd expect to drink wine at a vinyard.
  • I think it's totally fine to only have beer and wine available.  Especially if that's all that is served at your venue.  I think most guests who attend a winery reception will expect to drink wine.
  • I think beer and wine is fine at any time, but especially at a winery.
  • This is absolutely fine. I would expect that at a winery.

I would also like to add that I would love to go to a wedding at a winery.
  • Thanks for the reassurance. I just needed to hear it!
  • We only had beer and sangria, and everyone seemed to have a great time.  What you're hosting is perfectly acceptable.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • What pps said! You're on the right track!
    BabyFruit Ticker boots badgeDaisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • b0710b0710 member
    First Comment
    It sounds great to me!  The important part is you are hosting it and no one has to pay.  Beer and wine that are free are excellent :)
  • I'm gad you aske this question.  That's all we're serving as well for our open bar because the costs for hard liquor just seemed too expensive.
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are also having a beer and wine only reception.  As long as it's an open bar that you are hosting, the details of what you are serving are less important.  And if you're at a vineyard, I'm sure the wines will be delicious.  Don't worry!
    imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_feeling-insecure-beer-wine-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e70cd69f-bf6c-441e-82b2-1f99ec346f17Post:c183fe54-e1d6-47c3-8aaf-95ea37615366">Re: Feeling insecure about beer and wine option</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is absolutely fine. I would expect that at a winery. I would also like to add that I would love to go to a wedding at a winery.
    Posted by cengle[/QUOTE]

<div>This. Can I come to your wedding? (Kidding!)</div>
  • Even though I usually do go with vodka at weddings, even if you DID have a full open bar I'd still drink wine at yours. At a vineyard? Sounds amazing and no one should have a problem with that.
  • My sister did beer and wine and it was a might fine time.

Mighty fine.  I tell you what.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Beer and wine only is totally fine, and if I were going to a winery wedding, I'd come excited about drinking wine.

People will do that, you know. I hosted a party a while back and jokingly advertised it as a wine and cheese party. We had a full spread of wine, beer, liquor, and mixers, and the wine was the only thing that got opened. Nothing else got touched, because people had showed up expecting to drink wine.
  • Wine makes me happy.  Laughing

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_feeling-insecure-beer-wine-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e70cd69f-bf6c-441e-82b2-1f99ec346f17Post:5c2806dc-9f31-4a89-8dcb-19f159eccd45">Re: Feeling insecure about beer and wine option</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wine makes me happy. 
    Posted by wadingmoose[/QUOTE]

"happy"?  it makes me "happy" too.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• It also makes me giddy and giggly.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • sigh of relief! thanks
  • We're also getting married at a winery, with the same bar as you mentioned.  I worried about it for about a day & then got over it!  It will be fine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mmmmm wine. I would love to go to a vineyard and drink some delicious wine.

And we are just hosting beer and wine and we're not at a vineyard. I say it's great.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • jeslmjeslm member
    First Comment
    That's actually the reason I've vetoed the wineries near me as reception venues- with our families, we need a hard liquor option (half our families drink neither beer nor wine), and most wineries can't accomodate.

But it's 100% fine to have a beer and wine only reception. I've been to a couple and I've always had a good time, although I do typically prefer hard liquor.  People might complain, but people will always complain, and if they do, they're the ones being rude, not you :)
  • I generally prefer hard liquor, but I'd expect wine at a winery.  No worries.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for asking this question!
    I haven't settled on a venue yet, but a number of the places we're considering do only wine/beer/sparkling. Some are vinyards, some are historic sites that don't have a liquor license. I'm glad this isn't something that guests will find taboo!
  • Beer and wine is certainly appropriate.  That's what we're doing as well, mostly because neither of us drink but we want our guests who do to have a few options.  If people want to drink heavily, they can go someplace after your reception and do it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards