Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Mom is cutting the guest list?

My parents are helping us pay for the wedding - we are paying for the majority but they are helping us, which is muchly appreciatted. However, the problem is that we made a guest list, which included everyone in my family as well as a number of people that I dont even know, but my parents wanted invited.. no problem since they are helping us financially. The problem is that my mom has started cutting people from our guest list..because she doesnt like them. :s She told me to cut my aunt because they had a fight years ago and she doesnt want to see her that day - and she saw her a couple weeks ago and she was ignored. YES my aunt is being a ... cow. But what do I do?!! Not invite her and possibly offend my aunt who I have no issues with, or invite her and make my mom angry and uncomfortable...
:s
Thanks!

Re: Mom is cutting the guest list?

• Options
    I'd do one of two things: 1. Try to talk your mother into accepting your guest list -- you are, after all, paying for most of the wedding.  2. Tell your mother thank you for the offer of the money, but you will decline it if she tries to force you not to invite relatives that she doesn't like.  Downscale your plans.
  • Options
    Invite who you want there. If you are worried your mom will cut off financial support, then you need to make a decision. My decision would be to tell my mom to suck it up and deal with it, its our wedding, not hers.
  • Options
    i would have to stick up for the aunt.  just because they arent getting along right now doesnt mean she isnt important to you, or that you dont want her there.  im sure there are people she invited that you could care less about being there.
  • Options
    I agree with the other ladies - if you want your aunt to be there, invite her! How is your mom supposed to stop you from mailing her an invitation? They're both adults, and surely they can be civil for one day for the sake of your wedding. It's like having messily divorced parents; yes, it might be a little awkward for them to be in the same room for a few hours and having to make nice-nice, but it would be worse to have someone you love left out of this once-in-a-lifetime event!
  • Options
    Thanks! Im just going to invite her, I get the feeling she wont attend anyway since she has not attended anything family related she has been invited to in a long time...and if she does, i doubt thats what my mom will be noticing on the day of..if it is, theres a problem.
    Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards