Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Rehearsal dinner etiquette

Hey guys. I know that I could probably browse the internet to find the answer to this question, but lately I'm not trusting what is said on "bridal blogs" or whatever, and I don't have a good etiquette book in my possession. 

My future MIL is hosting the rehearsal dinner for us, which is awesome. She wants a head count for who will be attending. So I know she is required to pay for anything, but what is the general "protocol" for hosting the rehearsal dinner? Does the host pay for members of the wedding party and their SOs (or for the jr bridesmaid, her parents?) She's asking FI what we think, but I honestly don't know. I'm trying to follow all the rules!

Re: Rehearsal dinner etiquette

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    Are you asking if any of the rehearsal dinner guests pay for themselves? No. The host pays for everybody. You could volunteer to pitch in (anyone can volunteer) if you are worried about cost. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Ditto Addie. The host pays for everything so I would ask FMIL how much she would like to spend and work backwards as to how many people outside those at the rehearsal you will invite. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    First I would ask her what she has in mind. Does she want it to be small with only the wedding party, SOs, and parents? Or does she want it bigger with all the OOT people? Then I would go from there on where to have it, etc.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-dinner-etiquette-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec597f6a-e097-45ce-9b37-e23efa6590b9Post:423b3d64-19b0-4003-8259-aaf874871be6">Re: Rehearsal dinner etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you asking if any of the rehearsal dinner guests pay for themselves? No. The host pays for everybody. You could volunteer to pitch in (anyone can volunteer) if you are worried about cost. 
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, sorry. I was on the phone, feeding the baby and trying to type this all at once. She was planning on 30-35 people, which would cover all of the wedding party and their SOs or parents. </div><div>
    </div><div>The other question is: with us getting married out of state, a lot of family is traveling in the night before the wedding. Even if they aren't taking part in the rehearsal, should they be invited to the rehearsal dinner?</div>
  • Options
    She's been really amazing in terms of generosity, with the whole "oh whatever you guys want to do" attitude. I just don't want to overstep my boundaries :)
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Rehearsal dinner etiquette:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rehearsal dinner etiquette:Are you asking if any of the rehearsal dinner guests pay for themselves? No. The host pays for everybody. You could volunteer to pitch in anyone can volunteer if you are worried about cost.nbsp;Posted by AddieL73Yes, sorry. I was on the phone, feeding the baby and trying to type this all at once. She was planning on 3035 people, which would cover all of the wedding party and their SOs or parents.nbsp;The other question is: with us getting married out of state, a lot of family is traveling in the night before the wedding. Even if they aren't taking part in the rehearsal, should they be invited to the rehearsal dinner? Posted by CourtaniaLynn[/QUOTE]

Inviting anyone else is up to her. If she wants a bigger dinner, she can let you know or invite them herself. While its nice to include out of town family, it's not required.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rehearsal-dinner-etiquette-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec597f6a-e097-45ce-9b37-e23efa6590b9Post:340ec322-b9c8-4969-bdf5-ac560c791729">Re:Rehearsal dinner etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Rehearsal dinner etiquette: Inviting anyone else is up to her. If she wants a bigger dinner, she can let you know or invite them herself. While its nice to include out of town family, it's not required.
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]

<div>Okay, thank you! :)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards