Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I am so stupid! (long & whiny vent here-I ask your indulgence)

Arggh.  I knew this would happen.  I knew it.  I bought my wedding dress from a local vintage shop.  Before I found the one I loved, I had bought a different one (same price - $125).  The owner (the daughter of a mother/daughter owner team) told me they really didn't do returns, and I really wanted the new dress, so I said okay. 

But the more I thought about it, the more unfair I thought that was, because there's no "all sales final" sign or policy or anything like that, and I had had the dress drycleaned (which really made it look better).  It seemed like the daughter just kind of made that up on the spot.  So I stopped in again, with the dress, and asked if I could get a refund for all the reasons I explained.  She said that yeah, she talked it over with her Mom and a refund was appropriate in this case, so they'll give me the refund BUT they didn't have the cash right then and could I come back after tax day?

Like a complete babe-in-the-woods MORON, I agreed and gave them the dress so they could hopefully sell it before Prom season.  I was trying to be nice.  Guess who's going out of business and won't return my phone calls?  The worst part of all of this is that it is my own damn fault.

Re: I am so stupid! (long & whiny vent here-I ask your indulgence)

• Options
    That's awful. They're the worst.  I'm sorry, hun.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I'm sorry :(.  At least you didn't spend a small fortunte on it, right? 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    ohwhynotohwhynot member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    Aw, thanks Night & Hillary.  Fi reminds me that, in the grand scheme of things, getting the dress I really love for $250 isn't half bad.  So . . . I'm still kicking myself but they probably need the $$ more than I do, right? 
  • Options
    That money is probably long gone. Undecided
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    DAMMIT. That really sucks, friend. :( 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    That sucks! But at least you are trying to look on the bright side.
  • Options
    You're not stupid, just overly trusting.  Better to be that than jaded and distrustful, I think.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_am-stupid-long-whiny-vent-here-ask-indulgence?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eef23c86-7e98-4ca9-997f-42a442878223Post:e49b7b31-c370-4818-89df-0bf670ff97b2">Re: I am so stupid! (long & whiny vent here-I ask your indulgence)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aw, thanks Night & Hillary.  Fi reminds me that, in the grand scheme of things, getting the dress I really love for $250 isn't half bad.  So . . . I'm still kicking myself but they probably need the $$ more than I do, right? 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

You are so nice.  Yes they probably need the money more but shame on them for shady business practices.  Karma.
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    Oh no. That is really crappy. If they can't afford to give you the money back, they should at least give you the dress back.
  • Options
    Boo to them :(
  • Options
    I am sorry OWN.  Sometimes you get screwed for being trusting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh man - that's crappy.  :( 
  • Options
    I would vent very publicly, but that's me...sorry they screwed you, you are so justified in being upset. Hope you get either the dress or your money before they are completely gone!
    "It is never to late to become what you might have been..."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No wonder they're going out of business.

Try selling it on craigslist.

Edit: Nevermind, clearly I can't read. Sorry!
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. Don't beat yourself up though, it's really not your fault. Just chop it up to a life lesson and try to move on. It sucks when you try to go out of your way to be trusting, and you get bit in the ass. I did something similar but way dumber this week, and I'm trying just learn from my mistakes and move on.

Seriously though, don't stress too much, put it out of your mind and try to move on. Best wishes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    thanks again, everyone.  The shop is closed.  Their phones are now turned off, but because they're trying to sell the business (on craigslist), there is a contact phone number, which I've called to no avail.  I can see the dress I returned hanging in the window!  Ah well, I do feel better for having vented and received your sympathies.  I really appreciate it. 
  • Options
    Stackeye210Stackeye210 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_am-stupid-long-whiny-vent-here-ask-indulgence?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eef23c86-7e98-4ca9-997f-42a442878223Post:53f696b7-3527-49ef-b328-154d61ff9dec">Re: I am so stupid! (long & whiny vent here-I ask your indulgence)</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks again, everyone.  The shop is closed.  Their phones are now turned off, but because they're trying to sell the business (on craigslist), there is a contact phone number, which I've called to no avail. <strong> I can see the dress I returned hanging in the window! </strong> Ah well, I do feel better for having vented and received your sympathies.  I really appreciate it. 

OH MAN - it's taunting you!  lol.
  • Options
    I know!  A well-placed brick may be in order . . .
  • Options
    that really sucks! i am sorry to hear that
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_am-stupid-long-whiny-vent-here-ask-indulgence?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eef23c86-7e98-4ca9-997f-42a442878223Post:d25c4f7d-c56a-4b62-9020-cb82301aed64">Re: I am so stupid! (long & whiny vent here-I ask your indulgence)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know!  A well-placed brick may be in order . . .

I mean it is technically still yours!  LOL.
  • Options
    Being a good enough person to take them at their word doesn't make you an idiot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    But I can just see the headline:

Area Woman Arrested in Clothing Caper
    A middle-aged "bride" was seen running from the scene, cackling madly, with a dress that was really too young for her thrown over her shoulder . . . .
  • Options
    Or it could be:

BRIDEZILLA BANDIT ON THE RUN............(but not from the alter)

• Options
    I'm so sorry. 

I'm pretty sure you have better things to do, but what about stopping by on your lunch break or after work or even randomly during the day to confront someone.

Either that, or write one hell of a review on every website you can think of - forward it to the Landlord and post it on the window? (The second may or may not be legal, I have no idea.)
  • Options
    Oh man that's horrible! I'm sorry those people are total biotches. And Mica is probably right... better to be trusting than jaded and untrusting! I consider myself slightly jaded and untrusting and I still get screwed over sometimes. It's. Awesome.
  • Options
    That is terrible - and illegal.  Have you contacted the Better Business Bureau or a local news station that handles local shitstorms like this?  Do you have anything in writing; a refund slip or IOU of sorts? 

I know a lot of people might argue that it wouldn't be worth it, but I'd fight it on principle more than for the money, itself.

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened.  I'm glad you're going to be able to get the dress you truly want, though.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_am-stupid-long-whiny-vent-here-ask-indulgence?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eef23c86-7e98-4ca9-997f-42a442878223Post:99c3d80a-483a-443f-8abf-d71e8c8034c8">Re: I am so stupid! (long & whiny vent here-I ask your indulgence)</a>:
    [QUOTE]But I can just see the headline: Area Woman Arrested in Clothing Caper A middle-aged "bride" was seen running from the scene, cackling madly, with a dress that was really too young for her thrown over her shoulder . . . .
    Ha ha ha - you should totally do this.  I'm so sorry that they were jerks to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dave Ramsey would call it a stupid tax. I did something similar, found a dress I really liked online from a store that didn't do returns. It is a beautiful dress, except for the fact that the fabric is so thin that there is simply no way I would ever wear it out in public. Unfortunately, you can't tell this until you actually see it in real life. 

http://www.vintagestyleclothing.com/2101page.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards