Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?

Twist on the earlier post today.

When my sister and I were about 9 and 10, we were vacationing at the beach and we got something out of the trunk of the car and accidentally locked the keys in the trunk of the brand new car, 4 hours from home and the other key. It took my dad hours to finally pull the backseat out of the car so we could get into the trunk.

Another time, when we were 4 and 5, we built a see saw out of an old plank and a split in a cherry tree about 3' from the ground. I let my ass hit the ground as I was see sawing with my sister, and I catapulted her off the see saw and she broke her arm. I ran over to see if she was ok and she broke my nose with her good arm. It was my brother's birthday, and my mom came home with her arms full of pizzas for the party about to happen and found us in the backyard, covered in blood and screaming about our broken arm and nose.

Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?

• Options
    That they know about or that they don't know about? 
  • Options
    I was about 9, going through my parents divorce and there were some serious issues. I was mad at my dad so I left a bunch of crayons in my new step mommy's car. It was black, parked in the sun, in 105 degree SC weather. They had to replace the cloth seats. It was not cheap.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    This isn't awful, but it's the best I got. I was a total goody goody. Right after my adoptive parents got me, I had an allergic reaction to Penicillin. I had to be covered in this prescription Vaseline stuff. I kept getting my door knob greasy and couldn't get out of the room. My parents would laugh hysterically and kinda knock on the door, making fun of me. (all good natured). Once I was better, I went around and greased every. single. door knob in the house. And then just sat there and laughed.

Oh, the WORST thing I did....I looked into getting emancipated and actually told them about it. I do feel terrible about that. But it was an extremely hard transition to live with them.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Once I stayed out really late.  Didn't come  home til like 2am.  I was 15.  My mom was seriously worried about me because I would always call to let her know I was staying at a friend's or whatever.  SHe called the cops and since it was a small town they kept their eyes open for me... none of that "she must be missing for 48 hours" thing. 

I wasn't rebelling because I had a very very generous curfew.  I just didn't think she'd "mind".  Wtf was I thinking?

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    When I was about 7 my brother and I went for a bike ride down a trail my parents had brought us on before.  Well the trail went for miles, and my brother and I wanted to explore it.  4 hours later we come back home and my mom is in hysterics because neither my brother nor I told them what we were doing.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I can't remember which one of the three of us did this (I think it was my younger brothers), but someone taped over my parents' wedding video.
  • Options
    Oh and then once when I was 5 I got on the wrong bus.  So, I never made it home from school.  The bus driver didn't see me on the bus because I was shorter than the seats.  She was almost done her route and then saw my head peaking over trying to figure out where I was.

THey had even radio'ed her to see if I was on  her bus and she had said "no."  I don't know how she didn't notice me walk on the bus, but whatever.

My mom thought I was kidnapped.

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    (These only apply to my mom because I wasn't around my dad enough)

Screamed "I hate you" at my mother during arguments in pre-teen/teen years. 

Thrown tantrums in the elementary school years that I'm surprised the neighbors didn't call the cops over. 

Kicked in the door (had a friend kick in the door) from her garage to her house while housesitting in college and locking myself out.  (We nailed everything back into place and painted over it).

I was really a pretty easy kid as kids go.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    I was hospitalized for alcohol poisoning freshman year of college and it was coincedentally the same night that my then 17 year old brother decided to throw a huge party at the empty house my parents had just sold.  I think that was my mom's least favorite night ever.
  • Options
    I had a nasty habit of leaving home and not telling anyone where I was going...from the age of 5 until about the age of 16. The one time my sister blabbed on me, I did everything I could to make her feel awful about it too.

As a kid I also slipped one time, and grabbed Mom and pulled her down with me. She wound up tearing a ton of stuff in her wrist.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When I was 15 I decided to "borrow" my mom's van to go hang out with my boyfriend at the mall while the rest of my family was at a football game. I was driving back on a pretty treacherous back country road and flicked a cigarette out the window, it came right back in and landed in my lap. While trying to get the burning cigarette off my leg I swerved into the guardrail and put a huge dent in the side of the car.

I got home decided to pretend like I was sick and hide out in my room all night. Thankfully my mom didn't notice until she was out the next day and got out of the movies. It was apparently about $800 worth of damage, and insurance wouldn't cover it. But, in my defense, my life was worth more than $800 at the time.

I think I finally told her about this when I was 21 because she kept going on and on and on about how she knew everything us kids ever did. Turns out, not so much.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-worst-thing-youve-ever-done-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f01b1170-8410-4ede-8830-9a58412db7e1Post:0e89a6fb-4d09-40b8-a743-3013923e14ec">Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was 15 I decided to "borrow" my mom's van to go hang out with my boyfriend at the mall while the rest of my family was at a football game. I was driving back on a pretty treturous back country road and flicked a cigarette out the window, it came right back in and landed in my lap. While trying to get the burhning cigarette off my leg I swerved into the guardrail and put a huge dent in the side of the car. I got home decided to pretend like I was sick and hide out in my room all night. Thankfully my mom didn't notice until she was out the next day anfd got out of the movies. It was apparently about $800 worth of damage, and insurance wouldn't cover it. But, in my defense, my life was worth more than $800 at the time.<strong> I think I finally told her about this when I was 21 because she kept going on and on and on about how she knew everything us kids ever did. Turns out, not so much.</strong>
    Posted by lpstl[/QUOTE]

Awesome.

Yeah, my parents still don't know how much I actually drank in high school.  It was A LOT.
  • Options
    I took my mom's Astro Van without her permission and clipped another car, damaging both.  I felt so terrible about it.  We had to hide it from my dad, because he probably would have killed me.  I hated to have put my mom in the position to hide it and pay for the damage. 
  • Options
    That they know about:  fall away, completely, from the Church.  I'm an atheist now.  I don't rub it in, but they know. 

Also:  I got married right out of high school and it was the complete, horrible disaster they knew it would be.  They tried to talk me out of it but I knew better . . .

That they only know a little about:  I was a big drunken druggie slut in high school (in the 1980s).  They were aware of some of it, and willfully ignorant about most of it, and some of it they have just no clue. 
  • Options
    My best friend and I stole my mom's car.   That was seriously fun. She didn't know until fifteen years later at my rehearsal dinner that it was us.

I'm not sure if this is the worst thing I ever did to my Dad, but it's the one memory that still makes my skin crawl. I called him on his birthday while he was in the hospital and he was really down. I tried very hard to be upbeat and cheerful and not let the conversation get too serious or maudlin. It turned out to be our last conversation ever, and although I couldn't have known that I really wish I had taken him a little more seriously.
  • Options
    I was the world's mouthiest child EVAR.  I was always backtalking my mom.  Always.  But the one thing I still feel horrible about was once during a big arguement I told her "Now I understand why Dad cheated on you, I would too if I had to deal with you all day."  Ugh.  I feel sick just typing that.  Because not only did he cheat on her, but he beat the crap out of her and ended up marrying the woman he cheated on her with after she drummed up the courage to leave him.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    I let my college boyfriend basically mooch off me for our entire relationship. My parents hated the guy (with good reason) and didn't want me dating him in the first place, but they thought it was stupid to forbid me from doing something they had zero control over, as I was out of their house anyway. My mom came to visit and figured out that the guy was pretty much living with me (not paying rent) and flipped out. I still feel bad about that, because my parents, in their infinite wisdom, were exactly right about what a d-bag this guy was.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Laine, your story reminds me of one day when my brother and I were on our way to school. He flicked a cigarette out the window, and it flew back in and went straight down the back of his shirt. We wore uniforms to school, and he had a rough time explaining why he needed a new uniform shirt because of the gaping, charred hole in his shirt. And the giant blister in the middle of his back.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-worst-thing-youve-ever-done-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f01b1170-8410-4ede-8830-9a58412db7e1Post:374ed5ec-9c96-4e69-ad4d-f68fbd57b6bb">Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure if this is the worst thing I ever did to my Dad, but it's the one memory that still makes my skin crawl. I called him on his birthday while he was in the hospital and he was really down. I tried very hard to be upbeat and cheerful and not let the conversation get too serious or maudlin. It turned out to be our last conversation ever, and although I couldn't have known that I really wish I had taken him a little more seriously.
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

I think that happens to a lot of people, unfortunately.  The last time I "saw" my grandpa I dropped my mom off at his room and he was in the bathroom, and I left before he could see me because I had a dinner date and didn't want him to be upset I had to leave so fast.  I told my mom not to tell him I'd been there and that I'd come back to see him tomorrow.  He slipped into a kind of coma the next morning and died two days later and I still get upset thinking about what I did.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    My mom was at work and my dad went to see her, so it was just my sisters and I home alone.  I was probably like 10 at the time (my sisters 13 and 15).  My two oldest sisters began to fight with one another.  One sister locked the other sister out of the house.  So locked out sister began banging on the window to the front door.  It shattered. 

We were all so scared we'd get into trouble so my middle sister (who I swear is a professional liar even to this day), called my parents and told them someone tried to break into the house.  She said she saw a black glove bust through the window and a medium build guy running down the street.  They told us to call 911. 

Most kids would confess then - NOPE, not my sister.  She called 911 and reported it.  Cops were everywhere, and they filed a police report.  My dad even gave them a list of potential suspects.  I went along with it because I surely didn't want to get into trouble for something I had no part in. 

I told my mom the truth a few years ago - she found it actually pretty funny, but said had she found out when we were young we'd probably have been grounded until we were 40. 
  • Options
    My mom went out late to go to a friend's wedding and I fell asleep at home and locked her out of the house.  It was February, in Chicago, and there's NO waking me when I'm in a deep sleep unless you're less than a foot away from me.  She banged on my window with a rake, rang the doorbell for hours...nothing.  She had to sleep in her car.  She still hasn't forgiven me.

Oh, and also, when I was 3 I was afraid of clowns.  My mom had signed up for the Bozo the Clown TV show ticket raffle, like, 5 years before that and had never gotten picked.  She finally got picked and brought me and my sister.  I sobbed hysterically the whole time so they made her leave.  I'm pretty sure that if there are any toasts at the wedding from our parents, hers will involve how she has never forgiven me for having to miss the Bozo Show she'd waited so long to take her kids to.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    I drove their car like a bumper car.  There was that one time I drove it before I had my license and it stalled out and I got stuck.  3 days after I got my license, I backed into an oncoming car in the school parking lot.  A few months later, I sideswiped the ATM one day and tore up the whole driver's side of the car.  In my defense, this was the car--it was like trying to maneuver a battleship:

• Options
    All of these curfew stories make me think of a funny story about my mom. The summer between my Junior and Senior years in High School my curfew was 12:30. Somehow I negotiated a 15-minute window into that where I had to be on my way home by curfew, but as long as I was actually home by 12:45 I was fine. I didn't know this, but my mother would wake up between 12:30 and 12:45 and wait to hear me come home, then she would go back to sleep. One night she woke up at the  usual time but didn't hear me come home. At first she was livid. She got up to wait for me in the living room, but I still didn't come home. By dawn she was calling the police and all the local hospitals. For some reason around 9:00 she thought to check my room, and there I was fast asleep. I had come home way before my curfew that night and it never occurred to her that perhaps I had just come home early.
  • Options
    Im sure my mom could come up with a lot more, but the worst I ever from my perspective was getting in an accident with a friend because he was chasing me. There was a dent on her car door. I still claim innocence to this day. I was lucky we lived on a gravel road, because the dent was camouflaged by dirt for a couple of months before she saw it. There was no way she could connect it to me!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Called home at 7 am on my mom's birthday to tell her that my first engagement had been called off.  ex-FI and I had been arguing for a couple of weeks about it, and had the hardcore hash-out from midnight to 5 am, and in my defense - I really didn't have a clue what day it was.  Turns out, my sister called home later that day to say she was going to transfer colleges because she was too homesick. 

Overall, it was all good stuff to have happened, I just wish it had been the day after.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    my mom would hide lots of little stuff from my dad.  he got this 2000 monte carlo nascar pace car edition.  not even an expensive car but there was only like 100 of them in north america or something.  coming back from edmonton my mom let me drive.  it was a big deal, it was his baby.

so my mom and i are coming back from some shopping.  and there's a dead deer in the middle of the road.  i couldn't swerve.  so i just ran it over.  thump.  we never told my dad. 

Miss
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-worst-thing-youve-ever-done-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f01b1170-8410-4ede-8830-9a58412db7e1Post:374ed5ec-9c96-4e69-ad4d-f68fbd57b6bb">Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure if this is the worst thing I ever did to my Dad, but it's the one memory that still makes my skin crawl. I called him on his birthday while he was in the hospital and he was really down. I tried very hard to be upbeat and cheerful and not let the conversation get too serious or maudlin. It turned out to be our last conversation ever, and although I couldn't have known that I really wish I had taken him a little more seriously.
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]
    If it makes you feel any better, the last conversation I had with my grandfather was him trying to apologize for years of hurt and me refusing to accept it.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Stackeye210Stackeye210 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I used to be a lifeguard.  One night while working a private party for alcholics anonymous - all of us lifeguards got super drunk while working (yea, F*CKED up, I know) - and then went to a party afterwards.  I walked in the party and who was there - MY SISTER.  URGH.  So anyhow, I party it up and as my ride is taking me home I see my dad pass us.  He was going to the pool to find out why I wasn't home yet.  I was freaking.

So I sneak quietly in the back door to my mom sitting on the couch.  P*SSSED!  I went into this long excuse about how it was an AA pool party so they all smoked and we had to stay super late to pick up every last cigarette b*tt they threw on the ground.  I know my mom didn't believe me, but she just went to bed to sleep on it.

Well anyhow - when my sister got home the next day (since she was allowed at the party) she told my mom everything.  She really had this thing where if she had the opportunity she was going to get me into trouble however she could. 

My mom lectured me, but then she asked me what my punishment should be - I told her, Ummmmm, just a warning.  And she really said, ok - this is your one and only warning. 

I never let myself get caught again. 
  • Options
    The first time we went skiing my mum and I shared a lift up to the top and when you get off, you're supposed to keep your poles tucked in right? So me, because I'm a ditz, lept off the chair as it pulled up to the top and stuck both my arms straight out at my sides and succeeded in catching my mum across the neck with my pole and knocking her flat on her back, where she then was whacked upside the head as she sat up with another chair lift that was coming up. She's never let me forget it.
  • Options
    Wrecked my Dad's car when we were in the middle of a pretty serious financial crisis.

Alexia FAIL.

He's not mad at me or anything and he didn't hold it over my head.  I had to pay my grandfather back for paying for the other guy's damages and then had to feel like an ass every time I saw my Dad pull up in the banged up Suburban.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards