Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?

2»

Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?

• Options
    I totaled two cars in my driveway, both belonging to my parents. I forgot about that one.
  • Options
    Ohhhh my mom and I really had it out for years regarding pre-marital sex.  My worst to her was probably losing my v-card a month shy of my 18th birthday.  Her worst to me was dragging me to see a priest because of this when she found out.  15 - 23 were NOT the best times for us.
  • Options
    I have to join in on this. Here are my two:

I was in college and my mom had called to talk about our upcoming Christmas plans.  Since I was ten years old I have always split Christmas between my divorced parents and every year someone seems to think they aren't getting enough time.  I had been drinking a little before talking to my mom and maybe just shouldn't have answered but I did. She instantly laid in to a guilt trip about Christmas.  After hearing about all I could take, I screamed at her that she was ruining Christmas and had ruined it every year since the divorce.She hung up on me, and rightfully so.  I still feel bad to this day.  All she really wanted was to spend more time with me and I just didn't get it.

Oh, and the first time I ever got drunk in highschool, I locked myself out of the house.  I came home at like 3 am totally wasted with one of my friends and couldn't find my house keys anywhere.  I finally had to knock on the door to wake up my mom.  My friend had to stand behind me and hold me upright I was so drunk.  My mom never said anything so I am guessing she didn't notice.  Still a little embarassed about that one.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-worst-thing-youve-ever-done-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f01b1170-8410-4ede-8830-9a58412db7e1Post:6bee5cbf-4704-480f-8e97-8120ca9c06ac">Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I totaled two cars in my driveway, both belonging to my parents. I forgot about that one.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

This reminds me! A also somehow managed to wedge one of the cars into the garage. No idea how it happened, I'd driven it in at an angle so I could replace the tags and I needed an outlet (I'm OCD, I hairdryer one off, then stick the other on) and when I backed out, I guess I angled wrong and wedged the thing in the doorframe. My dad was not impressed.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-worst-thing-youve-ever-done-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f01b1170-8410-4ede-8830-9a58412db7e1Post:84f0367f-632b-4bc2-9dad-f1caacd260b1">Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The first time we went skiing my mum and I shared a lift up to the top and when you get off, you're supposed to keep your poles tucked in right? So me, because I'm a ditz, lept off the chair as it pulled up to the top and stuck both my arms straight out at my sides and succeeded in catching my mum across the neck with my pole and knocking her flat on her back, where she then was whacked upside the head as she sat up with another chair lift that was coming up. She's never let me forget it.
    Posted by alixzafiris[/QUOTE]

<div>That sounds straight out of a Will Ferrell movie.</div>
  • Options
    Along the lines of things I got away with; I was allowed to stay over at a select few friends homes pretty much whenever I wanted. Basically, if my mom thought their parents had more money than us, then I was encouraged to become best friends with the kids in order for her to climb the social ladder.

So, all I had to do was call her before we went to bed so she would see on the caller ID that I was where I was supposed to be. Well, 3 way calling had just come out, and I figured out if I called my friend, and then had her conference in my mom, the call would come up as originating from my friends house, and I could be out wherever.

I had a system worked out with a girl I knew, and we did this for each other for about 2 years. I got so ballsy with it that I would call from another state if I wanted to go out of town to a rave. I don't think I ever actually spent the night at her house, and I never got caught.

I passed this trick down to my little brother and sister. I'm not sure if we ever told mom about it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-worst-thing-youve-ever-done-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f01b1170-8410-4ede-8830-9a58412db7e1Post:68c0aa96-57f9-49cd-8375-cb70aac85480">Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents? : That sounds straight out of a Will Ferrell movie.
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

It probably looked that way too. I was about 15 and utterly mortified.
  • Options
    I was a good kid. But the worst thing I think I ever did was back into another car at the movie theatre - i was 16, and my mom had JUST gotten her brand new rav4 - her very first brand new car ever. It just dented the plastic bumper, and there was no damage to the other car, and I was mortified, so I drove away with my best friend. I told my mom that it was like that when I came out. She assumed some "punks" kicked it in. So I went along with that story. Turns out there was frame damage, I never came clean, then they assumed that it was a hit & run and we were the victims.
  • Options
    I was pretty much awful for my parents to be around from the age of 13 - 19. Sneaking out, drinking, drugs... Not fun for them...

What I probably regret the most was running away when I was about 14. They were on vacation and my Grandparents were staying with us. They had to fly home early and everything.... ugh I do wish they would stop bringing it up though!
  • Options
    Anytime my parents would leave--I'd take the keys to whatever car was left behind, and drive it around in the driveway (we lived on a farm, so we had a big yard/driveway). One time I did this, I left all the windows open, as well as the sunroof---and it poured all night. It ruined the inside of the car.

Needless to say, that was the car I ended up with when I was able to drive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I came home drunk and unconcious twice.  My parents still don't know about it.  One time was my 21st birthday, so that doesn't really count.  The other time was when I was 16 or 17.  I had been passed out in the back seat of my guy friend's SUV all night.  They had just been driving around with me back there into the wee hours of the morning.  Around 6:30AM, they pulled up to my house.  They were going to carry me in, and they were arguing over who was going to have to talk to my dad.  I woke up, sat straight up, said "I'm OK!  Thanks for the ride!" and marched inside and went to bed.  I can't believe my parents didn't know I was hung over.  I must have absolutely reeked of alcohol and weed.  I tried to go to work that morning at 10, but ended up having to come back home because I felt so bad.  The worst part was, my grandparents were in town, but everyone was convinced that I just had the 24 hour bug. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-worst-thing-youve-ever-done-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f01b1170-8410-4ede-8830-9a58412db7e1Post:e89c186a-a888-48b8-819a-3835f4ae243f">Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was pretty much awful for my parents to be around from the age of 13 - 19. Sneaking out, drinking, drugs... Not fun for them...
    Posted by therickson[/QUOTE]
    Me too...

And I have always been fiercely independent.
    My top stories for being one of the worst kids ever:

When I was 5, I decided to go to the park.  Didn't tell the babysitter, my sister, no one.  Just left.  They freaked.
    A week later, I was messing around in my room and smashed my knee into a vent - there was blood everywhere.  We needed the carpet cleaned and new bed linens.
    To ba fair, that babysitter rocked.  Set me straight for at least 2 years.

When I was 9, I decided I didn't need daycare anymore and started skipping it regularly, just stopped going after school.  This happened a lot.  So they took away my house keys so I would have to go there.  Then I started going other places, friend's houses, neighbor's houses, the park, the high school, the woods behind my house.  It didn't matter, I just didn't want to go to daycare anymore.

When I was 13 (just after I started using), I punched out my brother's babysitter.  Knocked her out cold.  I think I broke her nose.  Then I left, for about 3 hours.

13 - took my dad's car on my first of many joy rides.  I eventually started drag racing his car (I think I was about 14) for drug money.

14 - started going to school buzzed and/or a little high.  Regular drug use commenced after school.  I discovered rum tastes really good in coffee, and doesn't change the color very much.

15 - started seeing my first felon.  He provided the beer and the blow.  It was an interesting relationship.

16 - I started cleaning up.  Was still seeing my first felon, we broke up, and I begged my parents to send me to rehab.  That must have been a super fun conversation.

22 - my brother got so drunk he lef this pants on the porch.  Not mine, but a very funny phone call from my dad about what happened.
  • Options
    I was a pretty good girl and my parents were generous with their trust in me and my sister. I had a 2am curfew through most of high school and I was always the designated driver when we went to parties.

Then I met some people who convinced me to go to a rave with them and I loved it. I totally got away clean with that first one. I started dating a dj and was headed out to a rave with him that ended up getting broken up by the cops relatively early, so we went back to his place. There were about 4 of us there. I was supposed to be at my friend's birthday sleepover but had told her that my car broke down. My friends called my house that night to talk to me and make sure I was ok, and instead ended up talking to my parents and telling them my car broke down. When I didn't call or come home that night, they called the police and filed a missing persons report.

Like a good girl I called them the next morning to tell them that the girls and I were going to get brunch and they told me to get my asss home NOW! Longest. Drive. Ever. I remember that my mom had to send my dad out of the house while I was driving home because he was so angry with me. My mom doesn't yell but the disappointment in her voice was so thick it made me cry. When my dad finally cooled down and came home and told me how disappointed they were in me that was it, I vowed never to betray their trust like that again. It totally broke my heart.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Me and seester would drink all the liquor from my parents cabinet, and then fill it the bottles up with water or soda hoping that they wouldn't notice.  We told them what we did about a year ago.  And..well they didn't notice.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-worst-thing-youve-ever-done-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f01b1170-8410-4ede-8830-9a58412db7e1Post:60921591-8a89-4a5d-883d-1fe2eac7fbff">Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Me and seester would drink all the liquor from my parents cabinet, and then fill it the bottles up with water or soda hoping that they wouldn't notice.  We told them what we did about a year ago.  And..well they didn't notice.
    Posted by cmhershey[/QUOTE]

Hahaha I did this, too!  Including the night I came home unconscious.  Memories . . .
  • Options
    Probably married my ex-husband in a full-on church traditional wedding, with all the trimmings.

They despised him. Apparently, so did the co-officiant, but everyone knew I wouldn't listen. They were probably right.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_whats-worst-thing-youve-ever-done-parents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f01b1170-8410-4ede-8830-9a58412db7e1Post:72baed6e-7231-42d9-8c1a-b04245d63ac8">Re: What's the worst thing you've ever done to your parents?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Once I was better, I went around and greased every. single. door knob in the house. And then just sat there and laughed.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

When I was little I used to "finger paint" on the walls with Vaseline. I was two or three I think.

I'm too much of a goody goody to have been horrible to my parents. I was bad in school...but that's about the extent of it.
    planning

• Options

Pretty much all I did in highschool was party. I didn't go to school Mondays, becaue I was recovering from the weekend, and I didn't go Fridays because I liked to start my weekend early.

I would spend the night at friend's houses all the time from middle school on. My friend Chris and I would walk around at all hours of the night, and his neighborhood was not ideal. We also spray painted a few bridges, and would also climb buildings for some odd reason.

• Options
    Oh! I don't remember this because I was too young but my parents tell me that I used to throw temper tantrums, in public of course, so bad that they would cause a seizure. Awesome.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Late to this, but in terms of my teenage years, I lied a fair amount. I was a really good kid, though, and my parents were highly restrictive. I would never have been allowed to go to a 'party' if I'd been honest about it. Probably the biggest lie I told was that I was going to spend the weekend with a friend and her mum, camping, when in actuality I was spending it with my friends and some randoms they'd met online. That was rather stupid, really, but 15 year olds do stupid things sometimes. I also drunk a lot from 15 onwards with my friends, and my parents would never have guessed. 

When my parents used to go away on holidays (when I was about 18) I'd always have big parties. Once one of my friends threw up under our dishwasher, and another time one of my friends almost burnt down our house- the bbq caught fire and the patio ceiling was covered in soot. We tried to scrub it off but couldn't so had to confess to 'a few' people being around and the bbq catching alight. They never knew that in actuality, it was a full-on party, with police attending whilst I was completely blacked out and my boyfriend cutting his foot on a crystal vase we broke and dripping blood all over their bedroom carpet and bed, while my brother's friends got chips in the carpet and holes in the wall from the indoor dart game. I have no clue how we covered for all of that, but we did. My mother did question me about the cigarette butts and beer tops in our garden later, to which I replied I had no idea- I guess she didn't want to know, because she didn't push it.

That said, I think if I were to ask my parents this question, they would say the worst thing I did to them was being ill. They were highly distressed for a long time about that.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards